German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He turned 4 months old last monday...

Seems like anytime we're out now he bark incessantly (sp) at other dogs. Big ones, small ones...

He particularly seems to do this when we're out with Sasha too. She's a little high strung and gets a little crazy in a "new" environment - but she settles down. I dont know if he's picking up on this but he is doing this when she's not around too.

I dont want him barking at every other dog - how do I train him to stop this?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Work on focusing excercises and Leave it command at home in controlled enviornment. Then when he has those 100% there, then you start adding distractions. I use "Leave it" and then the dog focuses back on me or I will give a reminder "watch me" command.

By teaching those two commands and using them is the way to control your dog barking at other dogs. If he isn't paying attention to them, because you told him not to with the Leave It command then he won't be barking at them.

Leave It, I start with a piece of food on the floor, tell my dog to leave it, either I will use my hand or a body block to keep the dog from getting the treat. When at home and I really want to see if my dog understands the "Leave It" command, I will have them lay down (relaxed not a formal down or platz) and I will toss treats at them and say leave it. I know when I can bounce treats off my dog and they are surrounded by treats that they understand the command. This take time and training to get to this point.

There is a good post on teaching focus.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35064&page=1#Post35064

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah - yes! This is how I get Sasha to focus back on me when we're on a walk and shes just dying to kill that squirrel that went across our path!

We will work on this!

·
Registered
561 Posts
does he show any aggression?
does it sound like aggression?
be carefull because my female started like that and it got worse.really worse.she is very vocal to begin with,but when we go out for a walk and another dog gets near,it's like a mad dog!very embarrassing!
i just started training with a real good trainer and it is getting a little bit better.
first thing we did is using a prong collar,i don't think you need one of them now but be prepare if your situation gets worse.
you need to start training now with basic command,like someone posted: "leave it", "watch me" and other basic training.
another thing that might help is to put him in a down position when there is another dog.someone told me that dogs don't bark when they are in that position.
my female,annie,does the same thing with or without her brother around.
start taking care of this problem now before it gets worse.
good luck with him.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem using a prong if necessary. It doesnt look or sound like aggression - just a puppy being a butthead. Embarrassing nonetheless!

It does appear he's feeding off his sister - we went for a walk yesterday and she got a little nuts over a squirrel - he had NO idea what he was barking at but started when she went into that prey drive mode.

I'm going to work with both of them separately for a while - I think it will do us all some good!

(been working on leave it with both of them and thats been working thus far!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts