German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an update to my previous post, Suddenly Pooping Inside.

I am going on my third week of cleaning up runny poop from the kitchen in th morning. I have a 9 month old shepherd female that is/was house broken. She recently started pooping inside overnight. I took her stool to the vet and it was negative for parasites. She was put on antibiotics and that has not helped either. Last week she started peeing on the floor also. When she pees its a lot, which makes me think she's holding it.

I had been feeding her Diamond Naturals without any problems. Around five weeks ago I bought a cheap bag to use to help her regular food last longer. It was a 50 lb bag for $18 and I can't even remember the name. She took the mix fine for three weeks.

Since she checked clear for parasites, and the antibiotics didnt help, I am left to believe she is reacting poorly to the cheap food. I switched her to TOTW a couple of days ago; still no improvement.

I know that it may take a while for her to adjust, but my wife is not much of a dog person and waking up to poop and pee on a daily basis is putting a serious strain on our relationship. Also, I don't have the money to take her to the vet to have a plethora of diagnostics done until the problem is found.

Before all of this started she was eating and drinking as she pleased and was still able to hold it for up to 10 hours. I cut off her food and water in the afternoon and evening to help with the pooping/peeing but it still hasn't helped. It's like she waits untill the middle of the night to go.

This mornings poop was a puddle with a trail connecting to a second puddle, but it was sticky for a lack of better word. When I picked it up it all stuck together. It looked like someone poured brown pancake batter on the floor. Prior to that her poop had been individual piles, but watery. When I tried to pick up the piles they just smeared across the floor. I don't know if any of that makes sense, or if its' a move in a good or bad direction.

I like our dog and my girls love her, but if something doesn't give soon, real soon, pooch may be looking for a new home. I don't know how much longer I can take this.

Sorry it's so long, but I need HELP!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
This sounds very much like it COULD be EPI - but I could be wrong - it could be giardia (there is an antigen test). Or something else - it could take longer to get the cheap food out of her system. She could have a bacterial overgrowth in her gut (SIBO).

EPI and SIBO discussed here: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
(they have poop pics if you scroll down - my foster's was darker but yucky like that)

SO unfortunately you are going to have to pay for more tests - you probably are going to need to ask your vet about the Texas A/M 12 hour fasting GI bloodwork to check for EPI and cobalamin and folate.

Put yourself in the dog's place and imagine how incredibly uncomfortable and out of control this is for her.

I would also have her urine checked in case she has a UTI - which is very painful and sometimes they will poop with a UTI because all sphincters open. It wouldn't explain the type of poop, but may be something else going on with her.

I am going to move this and find the other thread so people can read that.

OTHER THREAD: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/149911-suddenly-pooping-inside.html

·
Registered
987 Posts
With the peeing a large amount have you had her checked for a bladder/urinary tract infection could be causing her to hold her pee since it would hurt to go.
Antibiotics along with other things can kill the good flora in the intestines and cause diarrhea, I give my dogs yougurt to help replace the good flora and it usually takes care of the diarrhea if there is no other problem.
I'm also wondering if she hurts to pee if she could be holding her poop until she just has to go and it's making her anxious and ends up runny, one of my dogs would have diarrhea when it stormed because of nerves.
Hopfully some others will have some ideas too.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I'm going to ask too....how did you switch the food? Did you know you can't abruptly switch...but must do so VERY gradually?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
She's obviously not feeling well--poor girl, hope you can find out what's wrong before you give her to someone else

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on, but I know that ALWAYS for diahhrea like that, my vet has me stop ALL FOOD for the next 24 hours to give the dog's system a break. Otherwise, no matter what started it, it may go into another issue called colitis that's expensive to fix and must have a vet visit.

Only after 24 hours, and I better be noticing no more diahhrea by then or I missed fixing this myself and need the vet to stop their system with meds/antibiotics, only after 24 hours can I start up with teeny meals of WHITE rice and BOILED chicken. Maybe some clear chicken broth to add for volume.

Keep water available, lots of water at all times to prevent dehydration.

BTW, my dogs get diahhrea when they are stressed. It doesn't have to be stuff I thought was stressful, but if they are in a worried mood, then the squirts can start, nothing to do with their diet at all. And if I leave them alone in the yard and have no idea when the diarrhea started (well, when they go in the house I know, but that's usually late in the game).

No food, pepto bismal and water only during this 24 hour period. And if it's not getting better during that time (dog still squatting and straining after 24 hours) then only the vet can help.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
The sticky liquid poop also made me immediately think EPI is something that really needs to be ruled out. The blood test for it was around $175 at my vet when Akira was diagnosed as a 3 yr old. This isn't something included in a regular CBC.

I'd cut out the crappy bag of food ASAP and go back to your regular food. Also agree with the suggestion of fasting her, and introducing food SLOWLY over the days following the 24 hr fast. Cooked rice and cottage cheese to flavor it was always my standby, but others use boiled chicken, yogurt, canned pumpkin, strained cooked hamburger, etc.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Are you crating her at night? If not, you need to be. You have two issues going on here, one is she needs to go back to the vet and find out why her stools are "puddles" and the other is a training issue.

Crate her at night! Once she starts going on the floor, and it continues, of course it is going to progress and continue.

Take her to the vet! Test for allergies, EPI, etc. Something is causing these problems.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
This sounds very much like it COULD be EPI - but I could be wrong - it could be giardia (there is an antigen test). Or something else - it could take longer to get the cheap food out of her system. She could have a bacterial overgrowth in her gut (SIBO).
This is exactly what I was thinking. EPI, giardia, or SIBO. Which has probably caused colitis.

We went through this with Cash and it turned out to be a grain intolerance and colitis. We had to stop all food for 24 hours, start him back with boiled chicken and potatoes, treat the colitis, and then get him on a grain-free food. Yours may not be the grain intolerance like we had, though; it might be what was listed earlier. Please don't rehome your dog just because she's sick. Who do you think is going to take a dog that is so ill she can't control her bowels?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Start small and work your way up.....
1) FAST your dog....no food of any kind for 24 hrs. (only water).
2) Cook (boil) some easy protein meats for your dog...ie.. Chicken or Turkey.
...feed it ALONE for 2 -3 small meals.
3) Check stools?...any change??...add cooked bland rice or potatoes...for next 2-3 small meals.
4) Check stools?...any change?.....if not..ANY change in consistency...have vet check again for Giardia and EPI or SIBO.
Sometimes dog's have diarrhea, and can be a result of any numerous reasons....including slight changes in diet, from treats, bones to kibble. (rule that possibility out first)....also UTI can cause problems with control of bladder AND stool (at times)....have vet run a blood panel to be sure.
You can also safely give your dog Imodium to help combat loose stools.
Don't give up...an answer to her situation can be found, cross that bridge first....she deserves to find a remedy.
JMO,
Robin

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yes, please don't give up on your dog! People have given you great advice, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. Are there any natural remedies to cure any or all of these ailments? I feel bad for her and want her healthy, but I just dont have hundreds of dollars to spend on tests and meds.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Are there any natural remedies to cure any or all of these ailments? I feel bad for her and want her healthy, but I just dont have hundreds of dollars to spend on tests and meds.
Everything Robinhuerta just said.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Start small and work your way up.....
1) FAST your dog....no food of any kind for 24 hrs. (only water).
2) Cook (boil) some easy protein meats for your dog...ie.. Chicken or Turkey.
...feed it ALONE for 2 -3 small meals.
3) Check stools?...any change??...add cooked bland rice or potatoes...for next 2-3 small meals.
4) Check stools?...any change?.....if not..ANY change in consistency...have vet check again for Giardia and EPI or SIBO.
Sometimes dog's have diarrhea, and can be a result of any numerous reasons....including slight changes in diet, from treats, bones to kibble. (rule that possibility out first)....also UTI can cause problems with control of bladder AND stool (at times)....have vet run a blood panel to be sure.
You can also safely give your dog Imodium to help combat loose stools.
Don't give up...an answer to her situation can be found, cross that bridge first....she deserves to find a remedy.
JMO,
Robin
I'd try that diet first. You MUST stop the diahhrea completely or your dog can die of dehydration fairly quickly. That's why if the NO FOOD doesn't stop the squatting and straining, you have to get to the vet for the meds to help their system rest and relax.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried fasting her, then gave her rice and pumpkin for three days. She still has loose stools, is peeing inside (large amounts which makes me think UTI), and I believe she has begun eating her own stool.

I finally broke down and went to see the vet, but it seems his main goal is to sell me his brand of dog food.

I called another vet and, but they want to run $130 worth of test which still wouldn't cover any meds if they decide to go that route.

I feel bad for my pup, but I cant afford all the tests. Is there anything I can get over the counter that will cure UTI and her intestinal problems?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
umm...no. You really need to take her to a vet. If she has EPI, or some other medical issue like that, it won't get better.

If she has a UTI, then she needs an antibiotic. Didn't the vet you saw at least run a urine sample to see?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts