• Yes, I have lost a couple of GSDs to this disease

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a better idea on how common Hemangiosarcoma is in GSDs.

This poll is only for GSDs.

Please add what age they were when they got diagnosed with it or passed away from it.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,241 Posts
my male, Kougar, was showing signs of small bleeds....His mother, grandmother, older half brother, littermate sister and several others in same family all passed or were PTS from this.

Danger, who just recently passed, at only 8.5k, had a tumor bleeding out on pancreas (?) I think....several other dogs in the co-owners circle also had the same tumor....

Lee

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Can't take the poll on my phone. But I lost my GSD 18 mo ago to Hemangiosarcoma. He was diagnosed in Sept, and I lost him 6 weeks later.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I want to get a better idea on how common Hemangiosarcoma is in GSDs.

This poll is only for GSDs.

Please add what age they were when they got diagnosed with it or passed away from it.

Thank you.
I'm afraid to vote no... It feels like I'm setting myself up for it. :(

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
I think there are studies on this. You'd get a better example from that.

My dog was about 11 yo when she died a few mos after being diagnosed with the initial bleed and having her spleen removed. (probably 7 mos after showing first signs). We also did Chemo.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
ok I can't answer, but...

WHY ARE YOU ASKING? :-/

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I answered 2, but they were not gsds, one Labrador retriever, age 14.5 and one malamute mix, also 14.5.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I answered yes, but it was my dog's dam that died from it. She was almost 6.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes, I lost my Niko to splenic hemangiosarcoma at the age of 5 yrs. I still miss him so much.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I lost my female at 10. She died within hours of the big collapse that's the telltale sign. She collapsed in our yard on her way out for a walk. She'd already played ball and had a normal day. By this time, it had already metastasized from her spleen to her lungs and liver, and there was no hope.

This disease is so sneaky. My girl had her senior bloodwork done just a couple of weeks prior to her collapse -- and the report looked perfect, without any hint of bleeds affecting RBC or anything else.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I lost my last GSD at age 11 coming up 3 years ago. He was diagnosed in late December and we lost him early February.
Over the 12 or so years working in a veterinary practice we didn't see heaps of dogs with it but the ones we did see were all GSD or crosses.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I lost my gsd Basu to hemangio when he was almost 11 years old. It was very sudden. A very close friend of mine lost her coated gsd to hemangio a few years ago. It's very common.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We lost Max to this at 9 years. Sadly by the time it shows any symptoms it's almost always too late.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Our Daisy 12 years 8 months. Found tumor on heart after she had collasped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We lost our little girl, Radar, 2 years ago. She seemed fine in the morning. Later in the afternoon we noticed she was much different. The next day we took her to the Vet. She was bleeding into her chest. The following day we had her put down before she collapsed from it.

She was 11.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize this was so common.

Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts