German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beau is going on his first overnight camping trip tomorrow and tomorrow night. It will be cold enough that I am going to have to throw a dog bed in the truck crate and hope he does not decide to eat it.

He has become pretty good about hanging out in the truck crate but has not spent the night in it yet.

At least it is going to be clear, though in the 30s. We usually do some night land nav on our camping trips to keep us brushed up on life without GPS.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Sounds like fun, we camped last weekend. It got down to 32 but Tessa slept with us in the camper. We were the only ones there, she and Daisy ran loose the whole weekend and loved it. We camped on a river bank of course she was a muddy mess, but oh well.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Throw a yummy chew antler or somethin' in the crate so the bed isn't so appealing? Have a relaxing time....sounds fun!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my typical SAR overnight is catching a few z's in the back of a truck when you can if it is a night search, but we will be tent camping. After doing dogs in the tent in time past, I think I will pass. It makes an awful mess of the tent. And the dogs will get nasty and dirty this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throw a yummy chew antler or somethin' in the crate so the bed isn't so appealing? Have a relaxing time....sounds fun!
Yeah I am planning on a steady supply of chewies, taking a bag of carrots we do have an antler and some stuffed kongs (he has his own tub of peanut butter)

It has been fun when we have done it before. Its good teammbuilding/bonding. We will have a nice big campfire and the recent rains will be condusive to doing that.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
sounds like fun!

Lee

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Keep warm, be safe, enjoy.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Sounds exciting, Enjoy. We used to tent camp ,cant imagine putting one of ours in the tent cause there wouldnt be at tent.Stay warm!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good luck Nancy!! I'm sure that Beau will have a blast and you'll get some sleep. Ha!! Glad to know about the tent and dogs. They do better in the cold than we do. Can't wait to hear about it. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a weekend.

Sat am - Grim comes back limping with his ball. Well no swelling, but some stiffness between wrist and toes on front leg so...going to take it easy for a few days to see if a vet trip is needed.

Pile in car. Go to campsite. Set up. Beau does some cadaver problems and I am really pleased with him. We freeze our tails off. Sleep poorly (imagine that) but Beau has not eaten his bed. Yay. Then the search callout.

Two hours away in our home county. So off we go. Poor Beau - well I am awful busy doing maps and stuff and he is being a little neglected. So the dog bed is now in shreds but he did not eat. Search -well this was a kind of different one.

Just now home showered, dogs fed and snoozing. Grim still gimpy. Played some with Beau.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What a weekend.

Sat am - Grim comes back limping with his ball. Well no swelling, but some stiffness between wrist and toes on front leg so...going to take it easy for a few days to see if a vet trip is needed.

Pile in car. Go to campsite. Set up. Beau does some cadaver problems and I am really pleased with him. We freeze our tails off. Sleep poorly (imagine that) but Beau has not eaten his bed. Yay. Then the search callout.

Two hours away in our home county. So off we go. Poor Beau - well I am awful busy doing maps and stuff and he is being a little neglected. So the dog bed is now in shreds but he did not eat. Search -well this was a kind of different one.

Just now home showered, dogs fed and snoozing. Grim still gimpy. Played some with Beau.
Welcome back and hopefully sweet sleep for y'all.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh well this morning brings

1)thrown up chunk of pillow stuffing but Beau is pooping normally, ate well, and if full of vim and vinegar for now so I fed him a big meal and am watching.
2)Beau catches foot in bottom of crate - seems to be ok - I hate that gap on the bottom of the folding crates and think I am going to figure out a way to block it or get new house crates
3)Grim is still limping so he is on R&R for a few days. No heat or swelling-other than slight swelling around outer front toe.

So heres hoping we don't wind up with double trouble at the vet. Good Grief these dogs will do it to you.

Cyra had a good weekend. She went upstairs with mom and the caregivers and was babied-it was so good we are going to do more since she does not get to go on searches and team training.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Nancy, add a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to your equipment bag...giving Beau a dose of half peroxide and water would have made him upchuck within 20 minutes and you would not have to worry that there is a piece of bed stuck somewhere in his gut....

Hope Grim is ok!

Lee

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Good point! Well - I guess I need to put straw or cedar shavings in the car crates for winter. A lot more maintenace but with his small size and growing in coat, I can't leave him out in a cold vehicle for long times. Of course it was a fluke he wound up in the truck for so long.

Well the search victim was found miles away in the next state walking on the highway....alive and well.....hard to think she would have been walking the road for 32 hours given her small size and the cold weather, so imagine there is a whole lot more to that story.

---------

Oh, We had a big campfire and Beau had no hesitation at all. Just curiosity and would have walked straight into it to check it out had I let him. Then there were 5 kids between the ages of 8 and 14 and he was in the middle of them just lovin' life. We worked him on two cadaver hides , no throws (because he won't bring back the throws but wants to run off with them) found both hides and got a raving game of two ball squeaky ball at source. Kept going back to source though. Loves it. Clearly working with his nose. So the squeaky balls are now his cadaver rewards because he LOVES to squeeze them and make them squeak and I can reserve them for that while still buidling ball and tug (which is already there pretty good but I did not want to build a tug reward until he finishes teething)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beau seems to have passed what parts of the pillow stuffing made it to his intestines (the first poo was clearly fibrous with strands holding the peices together but later ones were normal though loose as I fed him extra food and stool softeners to move things along) and I will buy a bag of cedar shavings to put in the truck crate - I guess if he is going somewhere in the winter I need to keep him warm.

Grim is still limping though not as bad and I am debating a trip to the vet. I am going to give it a few more days I think. He is pretty upset that we are not playing ball though.....and that may be some while away......which makes me rethink taking him so I will probably call today.....if it is a break, I probably need some clearance before he can go running again. Aaaargh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts