German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a tread a while back on Clipper getting his adequin shots. He had #6 loading dose the first week in April and then they were to go to once a month after that. It really improved his ability to get up, strengthened his back, be able to poop without falling. Clipper turned 12 jan. 18th this year. I love my sweet old man. A couple weeks ago, and this is said with deep sorrow, a large lump came up suddenly on his right side, kind of lower ribs. I hate to even write that the aspiration sample they took at the vets is probable osteosarcoma, on his ribs. It is pretty large on the X-ray. He is still a happy boy, and it doesn't seem to be real painful, he will let you lay your hand on the lump and doesn't appear that it causes him pain. He has a little more trouble getting up, kind of like a pregnant woman or if you had a large lump on your side. He is eating like the king he is, cooked chicken, roast, hamburger meat! I am giving him the vetprofen(1am&pm) and for now 1 tramadol at nite. We went on a car ride today, he enjoyed that! We are going to keep up the adequin to help him out as long as possible. We are going to keep him comfortable. We're not going to do surgery or chemo. If the time comes he stops eating is there something besides prednisone because I know with Cody(Clippers brother) it made him pee so much and him his back leg was so lame he had great difficulty getting up that was very rough on him. I wish that I could add to my other tread that it was all well, the adequin has greatly improved his life. They say up to about 6 months. If the pain or breathing becomes too great we will help him to the bridge. Cody will be waiting to take him home.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know the tread was kind of long, but wondered if there was something out there in case his appitite starts to decline. Thanks all!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Oh no. :( I am so sorry. Have you heard back on the lump?

The Pred may not bother him so much now with the Adequan on board - it should in fact make him feel terrific, minus the peeing. I have taken it and it removes feelings of discomfort, makes breathing easy, etc. I get a little nutsy from a combo of the added energy and agitation, and of course, you want to eat a buffet every day.

Mirtazapine is a drug that is used to stimulate appetite in dogs and cats. It's a human anti-depressant, known I guess for putting weight on people who have to take it. Mirtazapine You can see there that taking it with Tramadol can cause serotonin syndrome so you want to talk to the vet about that, but that's what my vets both regular and at Cornell have used to try to increase appetite.

It sounds like no matter how bad this is, your dog is truly blessed to be with someone who will walk with him as far as they can to the bridge.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I did want to add a friend just went through lymphoma with her male dog and she found that adult diapers wrapped around him like a cumerbund, not like pants, was very well tolerated and helped a lot with the urine output from the prednisone. Now he was on a very large 80mg twice a day dose.

Pred made a huge difference for Grim when he had tumors over his shoulders. He was on 20mg twice a day and did not have too many problems with incontinence.

<<hugs>> it sounds like he is in loving hands.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I have no experience with the condition but I would let him eat whatever he likes that will help him keep enough protein in his system to keep going. Some cooked liver, chicken, beef, chopped up boiled eggs, etc smells really good to most dogs and will trigger hunger. When Pyrate got to the point he wouldn't eat at times I made chicken and rice and fed it to him out of the palm of my hand to get him to eat. I did this to get him through several bouts of illness. He had a lot of ailments and was aging quickly so whatever I had to do to get him to eat was okay with me. I knew when the time came to let go and he let me know it was okay but it wasn't easy. It never is.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
:hugs:I'm so sorry for you and Clipper.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Pee pads will help with the urine issue. I bought a couple to use with my boy Remi when his Spondylosis got bad.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all! They sent the aspiration sample off and it came back probable osteosarcoma. I had read they need the tumor to make a diffinate diagnosious. He has taught us so much, and loved us much, I want to keep him comfortable and happy. I didnt think of liver! We don't eat it ourselves but he probably would enjoy that! Has anyone used nu vet? They say can help with cancers, he already takes the springtime products. Kinda thought it may be "clutching straws" to order. Thank you for your kind thoughts and help!

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this with your dog. This "no-man's-land-time" in which you know your dog is nearing the end of his life but not knowing how and when is so tough. Death is a relief for only a short time and missing them is awful. Wishing you well.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I still grieve my Cody. Clipper has been such a good buddy and brother to Cody, such a loving family member. I can't imagine not having either of my boys. They have been the best companions and family members I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is well said of the no mans land, Wolfy dog. The not knowing and not being able to do anything but comforts and food is a hard walk. I know so many of the people here have made that walk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts