German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just moved into a new house a couple weeks ago and this property isn't fenced but has a great yard that i wanted luna to play in, so i started looking into wireless fences and got one about 2 weeks ago, so far so good, haven't had any issues with it, it beeps first and if the dog keeps going it'll zap, luna understood what the beeping meant after the second time and she stopped testing it, i turned off the shock factor and now its only on beeping, i always supervise her when she's in the yard and I'm really happy with the product, however this morning i accidentally forgot to turn on the collar and the moment i opened the door luna bolted, she came back and i got to meet the new neighbors but i can't figure out how she knew it was off, does anyone else have a wireless fence, do your dogs know when the collar is off or on?

·
Registered
245 Posts
So the collar was on her, but turned off?

Maybe. She may have learned what you have to do to turn her collar on. Saw that you didn't and knew she would be free.

But, more likely, she may not have. She may have bolted and didn't hear any beeping.
As you said, she has learned that once she is far enough for a beep, farther will be uncomfortable. Well, she never heard any beeping, so she must not have been too far.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I tested it out one time on my oldest dog--she kept going. She flinched slightly, shook it off and carried on. I have never tried it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theres no underground wires, its completely wireless and she definitely doesnt ignore the beeping, even with a bird or a squirrel she turns around once she hears the beeping, normally when i open the door she waits for me to go outside then normally walks out behind me but the other morning she bolted, she must have realized i didnt turn it on before putting it on her, and i never leave her in the yard unattended, I'm always there to supervise, we have coyotes and the fence doesnt keep them out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3 dogs, 2 German Shepherds and a Beagle /Jack Russell mix contained on 5 acres by an underground fence. The mix for 10 years, the older GS for 4 years, and the younger GS for 1 year, none have ever got out of the yard. They very seldom ever get close enough to the boundary to make the collar beep but back up quickly if they do. The collars use regular 9 volt batteries and I replace them once a year on my wife's birthday, easy to remember. We haven't had any problems at all.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts