German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've finally had enough of Riley's crate. it's rusting, thanks to her weird habit of gnawing on the door. I also learned very early on that it's no match for her, and it's been reinforced with steel zip ties. It's also just utter crap and I daresay it would collapse if it weren't for the steel zip ties.

I'm torn between wire vs plastic. I'm worried the plastic would be too warm. However, I'm unsure which wire would be strong/sturdy enough. I have checked out the leerburg crates, but I think that may be overkill.

The crate I have is Drs. foster and smith's gorilla tough. poop. I should have known when it arrived slightly bent and I had to use pliers to get it set up. :rolleyes:

Please offer advice and suggestions!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If you are primarily looking for safe containment, my suggestion would be a quality plastic crate, such as the VariKennel brand. They do make some nice, sturdy crates. All of their crates have ventilation on the sides - basically a window with metal bars - and, of course, the front has a metal door. If you're worried about it being too warm, you can always hang a crate fan on the door or place a portable fan in front of it. Honestly, I've never had any issues with my dogs getting too hot in the crates.

I have plastic and wire kennels. I primarily got the wire kennel for traveling and going to events since it folds up. It is a Midwest LifeStages kennel. More recently, I have been using it in the car going to and from events, and while having my dog crated in the back of the vehicle at events. The Midwest crates are fairly nice, but I still have the corners zip-stripped together and use bungee cords across the door while in transit.

I now have a 5ftx5ft indoor kennel in my house that I've been really happy with, and that could be an alternative to crating your dog in the house. The one I have is one that I bought through Craig's List, but it's a PetSafe brand one you can get from PetCo. They are powder-coated, which helps keep them from rusting. I have it standing on rubber mats to keep the floor nice (it's carpeted) and also because they are easier to clean if she spills something or gets an upset tummy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A good plastic crate is very sturdy, but they are harder to clean and have less interior space than the same size wire crate. As far as wire crates if you can find an old midwest drop pin crate they are very heavy duty and the drop pins make the zip ties unnecessary.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
but they are harder to clean
I'm not sure I understand why you think they are harder to clean?

I have several and I would occasionally clean them. I used my vacuum hose to vacuum up dog fur and wet wipes to wipe the sides. Very easy. If any big messes ever happened in the crate (like a dog throwing up, or peeing, or pooping), I'd just take the whole thing outside and wash it out with the hose.

IMHO, plastic crates are perfectly easy to clean, AND they're much better at containing a mess - dog hair, poop, barf, whatever - than wire crates.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe hard to disenfect would be a better way to put it. I've got 6 dogs and prefer to deoderize them weekly (I really hate doggy smell). Winter months this required taking all the little screws out and hauling them to the bathroom to clean 1 piece at a time. Much quicker to fold up a wire crate and toss it in the tub. It could just be me, but I always thought the plastic crates absorbed oder, while I havn't noticed that with the wire crates.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I prefer the wire crates too, once they are full grown. Much easier to clean and they have much more room and air flow.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
My dog will only use a wire crate, I think she gets to hot in the plastic BUT we have no issues with chewing at the crate, I think if your dog will use a plastic crate they are probally more durable.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I like the hard crates for traveling and wire crates for night time which only Akbar uses right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts