German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Khaleesi is 11 weeks old now. I was wondering if it is fine to put my pup in her wire crate for large breed we got her? Or go with a kennel type one?

She is in there over night while we finish housebreaking her. She actually has had no accidents in the crate or in the house....knock on wood.

When she is in the crate she will bark to let us know she needs to go outside and poop or pee. The crate is basically her home when she is not outside or running around the house.

We take her every evening to go on long walks with us. What do you all think? If a kennel...why? Keep using crate....why? thx.

The breeder gave us proof that hip dysplasia does not run in her history...IF I wanted to a test....would an x ray by a vet work? if not what is needed? thx.;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you put her in the larger crate, make sure you section it off into a smaller area so she can't use one end as a toilet.

What kind proof did the breeder show you regarding hips? If they didn't show you copies of the OFA certificates, you can look a dog up on the OFA website (www.offa.org) by either registered name or registration number, and see if they have been evaluated. If they did PennHIP, though, there is no database for that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It depends on the dog. Some dogs really prefer to be in a more den like plastic kennel. Others do not care.

The reason I am using a plastic kennel instead of the wire kennel I initially purchased for my puppy is because:
1.) Less likely for her to hurt herself in the crate.
2.) She prefers the den like feel of the plastic kennel because she will go in it by herself to sleep when I am in my room with her, she did not do that with the wire crate.
3.) If she does have an accident it will leak through the wire crate, not the plastic kennel.

However the reason i initially purchased the wire crate is because several of my friends have them for their dogs and they seem to really enjoy them. You can put a sheet or something breathable over part of the wire crate so that it does become more den like. I liked the wire crates because:
1.) They are breathable.
2.) I found most of the prices for the size i wanted to be cheaper than that of the plastic kennels.
3.) They come with a tray so that if the mess stays on the tray i can clean it up easier.

So hopefully your puppy will let you know what one she prefers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dog loves his crate - he's got music in his room hehe. And yours sounds like it does too - like the last said just ensure you cordon some off so it's more suited to their size . Have you considered getting a crate cover ? Makes it look/feel like a kennel and will stop anything that is moving outside the crate startle your dog.

My crate is in the study. No one goes in there except me, and it's central to the rest of the house.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Wire crates work fine. But take it from someone with experience. They can be deadly. Just make 150% sure you remove thier collars before leaving them in one every time. I learned my leason the hard way and it always haunts my mind. See in my youth, lack of thought cost my pup his life being in a wire kennel. I was totally responsible for it and it bothers me to this day. I personaly will never uae a wire crate again. Just my personal feeling. If used responsibly, they can be just as safe as a plastic one. Use it responsibly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have multiple breeds and have used both styles successfully. I must say that for MY 2 GSDs when they were young they both found ways to escape the wire crates...I can only imagine how they hampstered out, bending wires and slipping the plastic tray out! I added safety plastic ties and my boy would still break out. Neither got hurt luckily...I went back to the kennel style for my baby girl escape artist! So pls consider heavier wire and quality crate if u go that way

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've had too many houdinis work their way out of the wire crates. Finally threw out my last one a few weeks ago and we're sticking with the heavy duty plastic airline approved kennels from here on out.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona broke out of her wire crate, so we put her sister in it. Her sister destroyed it. So we got the plastic crate. Fiona's sister killed the rate on the first day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts