German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We have a 9 month old German Shepherd, I've been taking him out to play for approximately 2 hours broken up through the day and longest about an hour and a half a time. Since it's been drier and colder out he's been getting itchy ears and skin, what do you all do during the winter months to combat this? I'm beginning to think cut his time down outdoors for winter.

Things we've tried, we bought Omega 3 from Amazon and we have a humidifier on the way. We have added yogurt to his diet and brushing in a little bit of coconut oil into his fur while rubbing just the tops of his ears with a little coconut oil. He gets brushed everyday.

Any other suggestions to help would be appreciated, he loves the outdoors as I do too but running out of options on what else to do.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This helps US, so it might help your pup...a humidifier inside?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Looking forward to replies and suggestions here. Our vet suggested 3000mg of fish oil, so we have been doing that for the last few months (we use Nordic Naturals Omega 3). Have not tried to supplement with coconut oil in her diet yet. Also bought a humidifier at least for the bedroom, so we use it overnight. It could get super dry here in the desert especially in the winter time.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
It's most likely not the the outside air causing it. It's the heated air in the house that is dryer and the forced hot air blowing around dirt and dust mites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts