German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is on raw diet and her coat and skin are great on it. Winter this year is so dry with the heat, car heater, and cold, dry air it has us all going. Windy too so static electricity is ridiculous. The dog is like a little shock factory on some days. The dog is not flaking but she is starting to itch a bit. Her coat looks shiny and nice but if she continues itching that will not last.

What do you use to offset dryness? I am going to pick up a vat of coconut oil to start off with. What else do you use.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's funny, as I'm going through the same thing myself. So dry, and the static is nuts.. I don't like to bath my dog because simply in raw his coat never needs it, unless he was in bad mud and gravel, (which he just loves to roll in)

I might try the coconut oil myself..

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
I run a console humidifier. It goes through about 5 gallons of water every 36 hours. No static, no moisture build up on the windows. Our home is cool, low 60's so the humidity makes it feel warmer. I also have several large houseplants, I think the moisture in the soil helps as well.
I feed raw, give supplements, but dry air is dry air...not good for people or dogs!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Coconut oil - I give it to Sting mixed in some yogurt. I also rub a bit on his ear tips and elbows which seem to dry out. I also supplement with Nordic Pet Omega 3 Fish oil capsules. I also give NuPro silver and I noticed that it does seem to help his coat.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
*You can rub a little Coconut Oil between your hands and lightly stroke it all over your dogs coat.

*In a spray bottle, you can make a mix of 50% Vinegar and 50% water and spritz it all over him! It helps with the static! You can also add a few drops of your favorite Essential Oil to the mix!

Moms:)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've had issues with winter dryness in the past and tried various supplements and such. This year, I've been adding water to my dogs' bowls at mealtimes and making sure they stay hydrated has really cut down on all the itching and dry skin :) In warmer weather, they have water buckets outside and spend more time playing and rough housing. During the winter, their water bucket is in the basement and they don't seem as motivated to get regular drinks. Just keeping them hydrated goes a long way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Water/coconut oil/fish oil/vit. E added to their raw food and multiple humidifiers in the house (with one right by the crates in the bedroom at night) has helped keep the winter itchies away from my household.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am having a horrible time with my dog. He is so itchy, and I suspect it's more than winter dryness. I took him to the vet in Dec and she treated both dogs for fleas even though she didn't see any. I took him to the groomer and he had an oatmeal bath (which I read can make it worse if it's yeast). I changed his food to Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison. I started giving him coconut oil. Nothing has helped. He goes back to the vet this Friday, but I am wondering if I should just take him to a dermatologist at Michigan State. Or change his food to a limited ingredient food. Or buy a humidfier. Ugh....I hope the vet can help Friday.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Hi. Yes its been a rough winter. We are cutting down on the baths and we give our puppy salmon oil and vitamin e and definitely see a noticeable difference. Vitamin e is also an anti inflammatory and can help with the itching. Vitamin E is important supplement for anybody who feeds a raw food diet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I alternate feed low sodium sardines, fish oil, coconut oil and Nupro Gold. I also use lanolin from time to time on the coat. Fresh snow helps to keep him clean.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you are trying Coconut oil for the first time, start off slowly, it can give some dogs the runs if you give too much to start.
Been there done that. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts