German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend Kimber and I attempted our Police Dog 3 with Working Dogs of America. We failed miserably lol. It's not that any one thing in this title is hard, it's that there is a lot to it. Obedience starts with the dog in muzzle, and the handler firing a gun. Then the handler must carry the dog for five paces. Then the muzzle comes off and a decoy steps on the field. The decoy walks and runs around, while the handler/dog team have exercises to perform. All of this is done off leash. The handler needed to memorize all that is required. So many paces of heeling, sit in motion, down in motion, recall, motion exercise, call to heel and so on. This is where I cost Kimber some points. I forgot to perform the motion exercise, call to heel. We do it all the time, I just forgot about it during trial.
Next comes our agility exercise. There is an A-frame, window jump, bar jump and fence jump. I had to walk Kimber to jump two of the jumps, then recall her through two of the jumps. The order was my choice. During this, the decoy is standing next to one of the jumps. In this case, he was standing next to the window jump. So I opted to Heel Kimber to jump the A-frame and window jump, then recall her through the bar and fence jump. Unfortunately, after the window jump, she decided to go and bite the decoy. So we lost all 20 points for the agility exercise. We still passed our obedience with a score of 72.8.
During the lunch break, I was voluntold to have Kimber give one of the decoys some bicep bites since there was some bicep dogs in the trial and most everyone knows Kimber. She's reliable on her target and solid. So she got a little wound up working this decoy. It wasn't the best the idea in the world.
After lunch, we were the first team up for our protection. We started with a false start. The decoy steps out of a blind, then he and I are in an argument. Once the decoy reaches center field, he turns and runs down field. Kimber was to stay at in positon. Well, she decided not to lol. So we zeroed that exercise. Next up was our directed search. It was basically a blind search, like in many other sports, except the judge decides the order in which the blinds are checked. I didn't know the order until my walk through right before we started. The decoy, is also in a random blind. While they were setting the decoy, we were on the field. Kimber and I could see the decoy from our start point. That didn't help our cause lol. I sent Kimber on her search command to the first blind we were to check. She ran straight to the decoy blind and went into a bark and hold. So yet again we zeroed the exercise. I recalled her and continued on our search. By then it was too late to salvage any points. Too bad too, because she did the rest of the search beautifully. After the search, there is an attack on handler. We lost some points there as well, because she wanted to bite.
From there, we move to two different muzzle scenarios with the decoy in regular cloths. We lost some points on the second scenario. The decoy is on the ground and basically passive while I send the dog. I lost some points there for Kimber going after his head, his hands and arms were covering his head, which is why I think she went there. From the muzzle, we heel down field and do our courage test. Nothing too exciting there other than upon entry, the decoy throws something at the dog. In this case, it was a Halloween mask.
Then came our building search. So it's important to note that it was about 90 degrees this day. Our search was in a sheep barn. Some place Kimber had never been. It was super hot in there and we had no break between the search and field exercises. Well, I made my announcements and sent Kimber in. She was panting so hard, I knew she wasn't in search mode. She has very distinct breathing when she's searching. She ran around the barn for a few seconds. She checked a corner, then moved on. I had no clue where the person hiding was. Well, she moved on and went to a water bucket for a drink. I called her off the water and told her to keep searching. She went to another corner and showed some interest, but nothing distinct. Then she moved on again. She kept coming back to this corner. Then her head went up. I could tell, she was in some odor, but I still didn't know from where. I then directed her back to the corner. She was definitely in odor in that corner. There was a couple boxes and various places to hide there. She kept picking her nose up, so I kept her searching high. Sure enough she then started to alert. It was a weak alert, but an alert none the less. The decoy was in the rafters in that corner. So we ended up losing 12 out of 25 points for the building search.
After all was said and done, we scored a 50 out of a possible 100 points for our protection. It was a much better performance than the score reflects, but zeroing exercises didn't help out cause lol. I'm really proud of Kimber. There are only six dogs in the country who have this title, and all the ones I know who've passed it, took five attempts to get it. I definitely learned where I made some mistakes, and what we need to work on. This was our first time on a trial field in two years, and Kimber didn't skip a beat. She's still an impressive girl.

Here is a video of our 50 pointer lol.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
She wanted to do stuff her way. Lol. I could see her in the video going "He's right there! Hello! Are you blind?" Poor girl. She looks fantastic though. You guys will get it next time.
Always love your videos.

BTW going to watch some practice with a local club this Saturday. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Wow, that sounds ridiculously hard! I think I would be intimidated to even attempt it. I bet you and Kimber will nail it next time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wow great video....you know you didn't "win"....but Kimber appears to be pleased with herself.....Awesome Dog !

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Well, I'm awfully proud of both of you. Y'all scored 50 more points than I would have. I can't follow directions worth a darn. I'd have my poor dog so confused. Congrats! You'll do better next time.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I’m very proud of Kimber. I had someone try and buy her yet again this weekend. My response was not a chance! I love this dog. Not saying she’s perfect, but she’s a super good dog. Those who have trained with me know I never train patters routines or anything like that. Kimber hadn’t even seen all scenarios we ran in tho trial. Some of the ones she’d seen we’d only done a couple times. Either way, I’m proud. Most people don’t even make it to this level. So we may try it again. I might be going to Alaska later this year to decoy a trial, and I may bring her to attempt it again.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Since only six dogs in the country have this title I am curious what a passing score is? Sounds extremely difficult, eslwc in the heat and without a break

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since only six dogs in the country have this title I am curious what a passing score is? Sounds extremely difficult, eslwc in the heat and without a break

Passing score is 70 in OB and 70 in Pro. Most people don’t ever make it to the 3. If they do, most of the dogs I know that failed, failed mostly in the building search. Honestly, I think the 1 and 2 have some harder points. I think the three requires more control but it’s waaaaay less pressure on the dog. In the OB, since there is a decoy on the field the whole time, it’s easy to fail. One bite from the dog in the heeling pattern would fail you. A lot of the the exercises are a lot of points, so failing or zeroing one, can basically fail you. I also know some dogs had trouble with the gun fire. The handler is shooting while the dog is sitting there. That doesn’t even mention the passive bite, and the muzzle stuff.

Really I think we could’ve easily passed it. I think there was some things I definitely screwed up on, and I could have handled Kimber differently. Zeroing two exercises in protection is what screwed us. It’s just hard to train for because so much is up to judges discretion. So next time I trial it will be under a different judge who will want everything different. Also, there are so few dogs who even attempt it, it’s hard to know what’s all there. There is a video to help give you an idea, but even it isn’t 100% correct. I’ve decoyed it a few times, but I had only seen those parts I decoyed, and only from that point of view.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Can you elaborate what you had to do to reset for a safer passive bite, angle or ? Taking a loss of points for safety reasons speaks volumes of you.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you elaborate what you had to do to reset for a safer passive bite, angle or ? Taking a loss of points for safety reasons speaks volumes of you.

I was supposed to send Kimber for her passive bite from where I ended the agility exercise. That would have been about 30 yards from the decoy and he would have been sideways to Kimber. Some dogs slow down when they come in for a bite. Kimber doesn’t. So she would have been going full speed into a decoy sideways. There is no way a decoy can safely catch my dog that way. So yes it’s passive, but decoys know to relax the body in that type of scenario to let the dog move them so it’s not like running into a brick wall. The way we were positioned, there was no way for that to happen. So I heeled Kimber to about 15 yards from the decoy and positioned directly behind him. That way once she hit there was somewhere for herald the decoy to go.

To be honest I don’t care a ton about this title. It’s all for fun. It’s not going to teach me anything new about Kimber. So I’m not going to risk an injury to keep points or look “cool”. In this case, my dog comes first, myself and decoy second, the title is a distant 3rd.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
thanks for the details. That helped me understand and learn. I'm in awe of all you had to remember and on top of that, keeping your wits for safety sake.

You and Kimber look amazing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts