German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was touch & go for awhile, but I got really good advice from a couple from the Hatfield Shepherd rescue & from a local dog trainer. So, yes, I am keeping him. I think he was feral, and it is going to take a long time to reach him. I did want to place him with a rescue, since I didn't know how to help him, but at this point, I don't see how passing him on will help him. It's frustrating that I can't do any training with him - he is so distrustful that correcting him won't help & he does not (so far) enjoy attention or treats - in fact I have to leave the room before he will eat anything. It's been a few months & so far what I see is that if he is in the crate he will come to the front when I get him, instead of cringing in the back. If he's in the pen & I leave the door open and stand away, he'll zip in the house and jump in his crate - it used to take me an hour to catch him in the pen. If any object is out of place, he panics, stops thinking and runs.... Going to be a really long project, I think. This morning, for the first time, he wagged his tail when he saw me (then turned away & played dead). Yesterday I had a computer person working on my computer here & he laid in one position without moving or making a sound for several hours - just his eyes were active, darting from me to her, me to her, etc. I've never had a dog as damaged as this one!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Awww...poor thing. I am glad you are going forward him. He needs a lot of TLC. It will take time but well worth it. Trust is earned, keep plugging away.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts