German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...also the FedEx, UPS, and mail deliverers, and really anyone who approaches our house, but she seems to hold the garbage pickup fellow in especial disdain.

I know I shouldn't encourage this but it's just so gosh darn funny and the highlight of my Wednesday. She hears the truck moving about the neighborhood, rushes to the back door, and absolutely cannot wait to go outside and give 'em what-for.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Personally I'd discourage that if you have neighbors particularly, but no big deal. We don't have garbage pickup right at the house (have to walk it 300 feet up the driveway) and I have worked hard so that Rogan knows not to bark for anything but a person/car actually entering the driveway. Or a coyote.

Since I always investigate every barking and reward it, I need to know it's worth it.

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts
The garbage truck is not cause for alarm at our place. Only if a vehicle enters the driveway. Today the propane guy pulled in to top off the tank so they sounded the alarm, but calmed right down when I told them,until he had the audacity to TOUCH THE DOOR and leave the receipt! Snarls ensued then. I don't mind at all.
I had a dog long ago that reacted to the sound of the air brakes on large vehicles.That loud whoosh hurt his ears possibly.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Zero reaction on the garbage truck. Delivery trucks is a different story. And if the delivery truck happens to show up when Lexie is outside, she runs back inside, takes a comfy seat next to the window and barks from there-hackles and everything….weirdo.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Ellie was gaga over the garbage truck. Most fascinating thing she'd ever seen. I would walk her up the road past cows, dogs, cats, horses, chickens, ducks, sheep, goats, even deer in the road ahead of her. She ignored them all. Then one day the garbage truck pulled up! And it had a MAN in it!!! And he got out and walked around !!!! She stopped and stared and would not get moving. Didn't bark, just fascinated by the whole experience. Didn't wag when he said hello. We had to stand there and watch the whole experience. She was an odd dog, I would have appreciated her barking at a stranger. It's good that Willow does.

·
Registered
792 Posts
We have two awesome golden retrievers living up the road who go beserk every time Ole and I go by. They are really friendly and surprisingly well behaved. It is just when Ole and I go by that they get wound up. They are behind an invisible fence but they bark and jump like they are saving the world from destruction until they get distracted and get into a wrestling match and start chasing each other around the house.

Man, I wish I had that level of energy that gushed out as pure joy at being alive.

A couple of years ago our area converted to roller bins which are automatically lifted into the truck. I don't think Ole has seen a real garbage man.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I was a kid, in the summers, you could track the garbage truck's progress through the neighborhood by the intensity of dog barking.

Back in the Byzantine era, before trucks had automatic arms to pick up the cans, a couple guys would ride on back, then jump off and grab the cans, all the while signaling to the driver with whistles, and shouts, pull up, hold on, etc. They'd pick up the cans, all metal back in those days, and bang them on the truck to empty them. When finished, they'd chunk them back in the yard, and sometimes the cans would land in the street making a big racket.

It was a much noisier and labor intensive process back then, and of course, in a residential neighborhood, one did not hear too many Diesel engines. So the dogs had a pretty good idea that if they heard a loud truck, the fun was on. Plus, almost all dogs in my childhood neighborhood were outside all day. And the majority of fences were cyclone fences. Privacy fences weren't quite as big a deal then, at least not where I lived. So even a fenced in dog they could see things out on the street.

So the dogs got plenty revved up. Loud truck, people jumping on and off it, yelling things and banging cans around-- dogs were pretty much obliged to bark.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Ellie was gaga over the garbage truck. Most fascinating thing she'd ever seen. I would walk her up the road past cows, dogs, cats, horses, chickens, ducks, sheep, goats, even deer in the road ahead of her. She ignored them all. Then one day the garbage truck pulled up! And it had a MAN in it!!! And he got out and walked around !!!! She stopped and stared and would not get moving. Didn't bark, just fascinated by the whole experience. Didn't wag when he said hello. We had to stand there and watch the whole experience. She was an odd dog, I would have appreciated her barking at a stranger. It's good that Willow does.
And it smelled so good!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
You’re lucky she can’t clear the fence. Mine could so I would never allow it or encourage it. But she was sure having fun. It was cute, even if it was something we wouldn’t do,

·
Registered
Athena, GSD, dob 5/2021
112 Posts
When Thena was a puppy, she loved going to the gas station to observe the goings-on. On one of these visits, she saw a large green garbage/dump truck. She decided that it was evil, and valiantly barked and pawed at the car window to scare it away. When it pulled away from the pump, she plopped down on the car seat with the most satisfied expression at her achievement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts