German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally my fault. :-( Tried to take a shortcut through the park to avoid people (joy....holiday week, lots of visitors in town, the parks are full of people). Crossed over a ditch that looked dry but was super muddy, and as I was trying to extract my shoe from the sucking mud, Willow took a tumble down the other side of the ditch through the tall grass. She looked like she was enjoying herself but a few minutes after we'd regained the trail and resumed our walk, I saw that there was blood all over her legs and chest.

She'd apparently bit through the tip of her tongue.

It bled the whole way home, and now 6 hours later seems to still be oozing a bit of blood. There's a very visible, maybe 1/4-inch slit right in the center tip of her tongue. She's clearly in pain, not acting like her normal self, licking her lips a lot, and just a bit more subdued than normal. Poor thing. She ate her dinner just fine and she's not like..bleeding profusely or anything, I can just imagine how painful it is.

Is there anything I can/should do for her?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watch for swelling. She may need antibiotics. Keep her water bowl super clean. That's all I can think of:-(
Yeah I just cleaned her water bowl so hopefully that'll help. And I wash her food bowl every time I run the dishwasher (every few days) but will handwash again tonight. I did let her drink out of the river after it happened, thinking the cold water might make it feel better/stop the bleeding. Maybe was a bad idea...

It doesn't seem to me to be big enough to require sutures; just 1/4-inch or so, looks worse because it's right on the tip of her tongue. No way I can get a picture of it. She looks kinda like a lizard. :) (exaggerating mostly, though there is a very small but noticeable cleft there now...)

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Willow the lizard dog!I do know when people get a small cut on or through their tongues it's just left alone to heal.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Poor girl! Shadow came to me with the tip of her tongue split and a couple of punctures, so Willow is not alone. I don't know how Shadow did it since she really had no teeth! Lol. I have had several dogs puncture tongues or tear the sides. All healed just fine.
Chewing on ice cubes would help, or even licking them. Keep an eye on it but it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Well I tend to be reactive, so I'd call the vet to see what s/he says and to ask for prophylactic ABs, as appropriate. Whether or not you put her on a course of antibiotics, consider giving her some "pumpkin ice cream" to help with any discomfort and to settle her tummy. Pumpkin ice cream = mix up a can of pumpkin puree and about a cup of water and nothing else. Blend until smooth, pour into a brownie or 9 x 9 tin and stick it in the freezer for several hours. Scrape off 2 tablespoons (like you do when making/serving granita) and give it to her 2-3 times a day as a treat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts