German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I can tell you right away it's a stupid thread so please humor me, if you don't have anything nice to say please move on, we have enough arguments on this forum... So here it goes

You are in the forest hiking with your dog, you trip and fall, you are laying unconscious, you broke your leg and your bone is sticking out. Do you think your dog will start eating you?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
No just licks, any time one of the dogs see an open would they feel compelled to help clean it.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I certainly hope not! :eek:

Highly doubtful :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
This is a quirky kind of question...just my style!

Uhm, I don't think he would. I think he'd be more trying to "help" me by licking the wound or just running in circles. I wouldn't put it past him to give my Femur a little nibble if it's sticking out, but as for full on, stomach filling eating...I doubt it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No I think she would lay next to me and try to make me feel better, with licks and cuddles, I think she would stay by my side until help came. My cat on the other hand, lol, he gives me these evil looks sometimes, I joke with my husband that he's just sticking around waiting for me to die so he can eat me. He's evil i think he tries to kill me somedays, he's always under my feet when i go up or down the stairs.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I think he would get my cell phone, dial 911 and pull the coordinates off of my GPS to give to emergency management. Then he would start clearing brush for the helicopter.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just you hear all those stories how dog eat their dead owners. Maybe it's different since they can actually tell that they are dead and I heard someone somewhere that some species actually eat their sick/dead babies to prevent the smell that attracts predictors...

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
No but if I died at home I am sure they get the forks and wine.

If I was still conscious I doubt they would try. But my dogs are pigs.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Yes, I can tell you right away it's a stupid thread so please humor me, if you don't have anything nice to say please move on, we have enough arguments on this forum... So here it goes

You are in the forest hiking with your dog, you trip and fall, you are laying unconscious, you broke your leg and your bone is sticking out. Do you think your dog will start eating you?
]

LOL, still wanting to control replies on a public forum?
Maybe if you can't stand receiving replies you don't like, you should move on.:)
That being said, I will humor you. My answer is no.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think he would get my cell phone, dial 911 and pull the coordinates off of my GPS to give to emergency management. Then he would start clearing brush for the helicopter.
:spittingcoffee: Well they are a VERY smart breed :). You forgot piling the brush and rubbing the sticks together to start a fire to signal for help and for warmth

Delgado alerts when there's a issue, for example Jazzy's at the back door wanting out or one of the cats got locked in a room. He comes to me and huffs or barks once then runs to the problem and runs back to me. I'm curious if he'd actually leave my side to get help or just stay and protect

Hopefully I'm never have to find out

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
:spittingcoffee: Well they are a VERY smart breed :). You forgot piling the brush and rubbing the sticks together to start a fire to signal for help and for warmth

Hopefully I'm never have to find out
Don't forget running around collecting all the sticks he can to spell out SOS in stick letters for the air rescue :wild:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, still wanting to control replies on a public forum?
Maybe if you can't stand receiving replies you don't like, you should move on.:)
That being said, I will humor you. My answer is no.

It's not about getting replies I don't like, it's about staying on TOPIC which some people have a problem with... And if you have a problem with me personally you can message me instead of submitting your negative remarks...

You know.... you are not very jolly to be named "sunflowers" LOL :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No offense intended, I liked the humor in Nancy's response that's all. I had already answered the original question

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I guess it would depend on what bone was sticking out , how much blood and flesh was on it and how hungry she was:)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I didn't realize that he took the same emergency medical courses Hondo did! They could have been room mates!!!

Although, after clearing the brush, Hondo would have found me a bottle of Bacardi, a brush for my hair and aided me in the re-applying of my lip stick. He would have wanted me to look my best when the responders showed up.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Ok the serious response was that the dog still knows you are alive and I think the only time he would eat you would be if you were locked up in a house and he was starving and then, only maybe. Kind of like people sometimes doing the same thing when THEY are starving, but not always. I have heard it both ways with dogs. [Have a friend who is LE who has had to go into homes when the owner died and the dogs are not usually chowing down on their owners but freaking out]

I think the dog would be frantic trying to wake you up. War dogs drug their wounded partners to safety and did not munch on them.

Best answer. Don't go into the woods alone or make sure, if you do, that someone knows your plans and where you are!

-------But I like the fun responses better.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
It's just you hear all those stories how dog eat their dead owners. Maybe it's different since they can actually tell that they are dead and I heard someone somewhere that some species actually eat their sick/dead babies to prevent the smell that attracts predictors...
I think dogs eat their owners only if they themselves will starve to death if they wouldn't do just that. I know that rats and mice will eat their dead babies. Rats (pet rats I know for sure do that sometimes) eat each other to avoid predators. At least that's what we think is the reason. With rats you never know......
My pet mice sometimes bury their adult cage mates under bedding.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Actually, Grim *did* alert when something was amiss. One day my mother's caregiver did not hear her on the baby monitor but Grim heard her hollering, ran to my bed, jumped on me, and woke me up. The downside is he always sang a song for me when fire engines went off (we live abour 2 miles from the station) and did not find the humor in the snooze button on the alarm. I would not put it past the dog to go find help but I would also not count on it. {kind of like the "would my dog protect me" questions}

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think dogs eat their owners only if they themselves will starve to death if they wouldn't do just that. I know that rats and mice will eat their dead babies. Rats (pet rats I know for sure do that sometimes) eat each other to avoid predators. At least that's what we think is the reason. With rats you never know......
My pet mice sometimes bury their adult cage mates under bedding.
When I still lived with my parents our cat just had kittens, I walked in on her eating one of them... I will never forget it.. And I was worried she would eat others but she didn't it, my theory was that kitten was sick but it's just a theory... She took very good care of the rest...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts