German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking buy a 3 year old sheltie. The owner brought the dog to them and the purchaser's husband called the dogs name and "come". The dog came immediately to him and they were very impressed. I think this sealed the deal.

I wonder if my dog would obey a person she didn't know in a strange house, without being set up as in a sit/stay and come exercise. I'm going to have to test this. Any experiences?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
All of my dogs would look at the person like "F" you! They do the same thing to people they KNOW. BUT they aren't Shelties either!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Otto might because he's a big doofy 9 month old. Morgan, no way no how. People she knows have called her name and told her to come, she just looks at them like 'shah wrong, you ain't one of my people'. Her list of people is very short too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Inside the house, when treats are available, my doggie dearest most def. would. But outside, she wouldn't budge unless it was a friend.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm not sure, maybe if treats were involved. When I got Bianca she didn't really listen to commands I gave at first, (she had training before I adopted her) but then again she still won't respond to "Fuss!" even though she is supposed to know that one...
My last dog (Golden) was a therapy dog so I had to teach her that she was supposed to respond to other people, not just me. She would probably come to anyone who called her unless I had already given her a command that contradicted it (like sit, stay, come) or if I told her not to go to the person after they gave the command. Oh, or if they were across a street because she was trained not to cross streets without my ok first.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I honestly wouldn't want my dogs to obey a come command from a stranger. I mean, if we were playing off leash and someone decided to call one of them?

There's also a difference in a dog who obeys a formal command from a stranger and a dog who is willing to run up to a stranger when invited to come say hello. Leo typically doesn't, Grace will if it is a child or woman, generally not a man she doesn't know. Rafe my foster boy will run up to ANYONE. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet seems to be his motto.

So... the command aspect doesn't particularly do anything for me but I do think it's a good sign that the sheltie ran right up to a stranger, since they can be just as velcro as (and considerably more nervous than) GSDs. A Sheltie that likes strangers is probably a good little dog.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Kenya - NO!!! She would do a come to ME.

Nikon and Coke - never tried, but they do in the context of the "come" game that we do at the training club, so they are coming to us, then the trainer, then us, then the trainer. Actually Coke has issues coming to us, lol. Right now Nikon wouldn't need a come, he wants to run and greet everyone if I let him.

·
Registered
239 Posts
probably not buddy, and she's the one with the perfect recall(and it didn't have to do with me at all!!) I don't know where that recall came from. I taughtt her to come, but not like a 30 ft. outdoor come. She was just born completly healthy, perfect temperment, and the definition of a GSD. minus the conformation!! That's why we haven't bred her. But if tasty treats were involved she might come for a good friend. And wini, well she won't even come for me! But I'm training her everday for recall.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
You have treats or a toy, my dog will do anything for you.

As long as I don't have the treat/toy and am working my dogs! They'd rather be with me, but if nothing else is going on (boring) and someone else is interesting, I PURPOSELY have my dogs social enough to listen to others.

Between all my family, friends and my training classes and socialization to make my dogs comfortable anywhere with anyone..... they are very much able to enjoy being with others. It takes NOTHING away from me that they are enjoying others.

I still know when I get up to go, it's all about DON'T LEAVE US WE ARE COMING!!!!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Varried responses. My dog will sit for people who they know who are in my house, and perhaps will come to people who are in my house. I really don't think she would come on command to a stranger in a strange house to anyone but me, or my family- at least this is what I hope would happen.

Our friends are so impressed by this, and I'm quietly sitting back thinking, I hope my dog would not do that, unless I encouraged it. Anyway the deal fell through and the owner decided to keep the dog and not sell him. She was going to sell him without the knowledge of her two children (aged 8/10). I thought that was a mean thing to do. Now my friends are trying to find another one and I don't think they will ever find one that will measure up to the one they almost got.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Savannah never goes to strangers who call her without me, even known people she will get there suspicious, she only responds to a couple of persons who took care of her while I have to travel overseas. Other than that she walk nervously from side to side avoiding any contact, now once I give a friendly welcome to the stranger she will turn in playful and obedient.

·
Super Moderator
7,337 Posts
initially i avoided this thread because i didn't know the answer, and didnt really care. however tonight i learned that Tilden will go to a stranger (this goes for friends of mine too) if he feels like it... he'll also sit for them if he wants, but my command overrides theirs and he is much less dependable with others.

my friend was trying to photograph him this evening and he wouldnt even look at her without me standing behind her. several times she called me into the room because he either wouldnt come or wouldnt sit for her. when she had treats, he was better... but if i left the room he ignored the treats and came with me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Kira definitely would not...no way, no how.

Grace is funny - when given the come command by someone she sorta knows, she comes to me not to them. I'm not sure what she would do with a stranger, probably look to me for guidance.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts