German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is 2 years old and I've never seen it hump anything, mainly cause I keep it in the back yard where there's nothing but a tree and a mat he sleeps on.
Yesterday a friend of my brother suggested to bring his dog and she also never bred before. so he brought her and I put them together and left them. they immediately got along they kept smelling each other and they slept near each other. but I have no idea whether they did the deed or not xD. he keeps licking her (butt) though. sry for the language.
I'm wondering if it is possible that he doesn't know what to do and they did nothing. And if so what do I do.

Ps: her owner says she's in heat and assures it but I don't know if she really is. cause when my cat is in heat she would yell and put her butt up and stuff like that. Maybe it's different with dogs. I don't know much about the matter. his dog is just playful and fun.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Breeding is instinctual, they will all do it naturally. So I'm more than a little confused as to why your brothers friend would intentionally bring over a female dog in heat?!!! Did you know she was in heat before hand?

In any event, please don't do this again! There are sooo many puppies and dogs out there in shelters already! 670,000 are killed EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Because shelters run out of room, and the puppies keep coming! Please be more careful and don't add to that problem by allowing your dog access to any dog in heat!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oh wow... I don't know why your brother would ever bring a female dog in heat in contact with another dog - ESPECIALLY intact MALE dog. Please, please be cautious next time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
To answer the question in your thread title: Yes. Yes he will. Dogs need no assistance or training to know how to mate.

The comment on your post:

Please don't backyard breed your German Shepherd to some random female. It ruins the breed and wastes genes. We want to keep our German Shepherds lovely German Shepherds, especially healthy and sane shepherds.

Plus, who's going to care for those puppies? Puppies don't just magically go home as soon as they're born. They, and the female, must be cared for for at least 8 weeks and the female must be cared for during pregnancy. Further, they're going to have to find a home. Who's going to rehome them? What happens if they DON'T find a home? What then?

If your answer is "we'll take them to the shelter", then you and your friend are part of the problem. That kind of irresponsible behavior is responsible for the Adopt-Don't-Shop crowd trying to tear down dog breeding as a whole (they often don't distinguish between breeders who further the breed, backyard breeders, or puppy mills). Don't be part of the problem. Be responsible.

Now, in no way am I advocating for you neutering your dog. I like intact dogs. I think more dogs should be intact. But for that to happen and be accepted in society, us owners of intact beasts must be responsible for those beasts. That means no rando breeding. No "oops" litters. No purposeful useless litters. None of that crap.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
...I've never seen it hump anything, mainly cause I keep it in the back yard where there's nothing but a tree and a mat he sleeps on...
Also...this is a sad life for your dog :-(
He should have shelter from the rain and cold, and be with his humans...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer the question in your thread title: Yes. Yes he will. Dogs need no assistance or training to know how to mate.

The comment on your post:

Please don't backyard breed your German Shepherd to some random female. It ruins the breed and wastes genes. We want to keep our German Shepherds lovely German Shepherds, especially healthy and sane shepherds.

Plus, who's going to care for those puppies? Puppies don't just magically go home as soon as they're born. They, and the female, must be cared for for at least 8 weeks and the female must be cared for during pregnancy. Further, they're going to have to find a home. Who's going to rehome them? What happens if they DON'T find a home? What then?

If your answer is "we'll take them to the shelter", then you and your friend are part of the problem. That kind of irresponsible behavior is responsible for the Adopt-Don't-Shop crowd trying to tear down dog breeding as a whole (they often don't distinguish between breeders who further the breed, backyard breeders, or puppy mills). Don't be part of the problem. Be responsible.

Now, in no way am I advocating for you neutering your dog. I like intact dogs. I think more dogs should be intact. But for that to happen and be accepted in society, us owners of intact beasts must be responsible for those beasts. That means no rando breeding. No "oops" litters. No purposeful useless litters. None of that crap.

Of course the puppies (if the female ever gets pregnant) will be cared for. They are both pure bred Gsds and usually around here the owner of the female is the one that takes care of the puppies. We never take our pets to shelters. And I’m not a breeder the guy wanted a good breed gsd for his female and he liked mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow... I don't know why your brother would ever bring a female dog in heat in contact with another dog - ESPECIALLY intact MALE dog. Please, please be cautious next time.

Why wouldn’t u bring a female in heat in contact with another dog ? If they’re both pure bred and taken care of ? It’s a natural thing. Dogs reproduce. What is wrong with u people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Breeding is instinctual, they will all do it naturally. So I'm more than a little confused as to why your brothers friend would intentionally bring over a female dog in heat?!!! Did you know she was in heat before hand?

In any event, please don't do this again! There are sooo many puppies and dogs out there in shelters already! 670,000 are killed EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Because shelters run out of room, and the puppies keep coming! Please be more careful and don't add to that problem by allowing your dog access to any dog in heat!

I am not a breeder and I’m not gonna do this often. The guy suggested that they’re both purely bred and we should put them together for reproduction and it seems natural. Also I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t know what the fate of the puppies will be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And please spay your cat, there are far too many cats and kittens born than there are homes available.

I’m not spaying anyone. Reproduction is a part of life. How would u like it if someone took cut of your whatever u have?
Animals are not dolls. They are living beings. Reproduction is a part of life.
However, that said. When my cat is in heat I do often keep her isolated and I give her extra care. So that she doesn’t give birth to kittens that would eventually end up in shelters.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I’m not spaying anyone. Reproduction is a part of life. How would u like it if someone took cut of your whatever u have?
However, that said. When my cat is in heat I do often keep her isolated and I give her extra care. So that she doesn’t give birth to kittens that would eventually end up in shelters.
Since your dog is so aggressive and reactive (as stated in your other thread) he may/will in all probability pass the traits on to his progeny, why not do for your dog what you sometimes do for your cat? In your words,
"Stop a litter that would eventually end up in shelters"

You don't need to neuter your boy, just say no to your brothers friend and anyone else who asks to use him for stud service. Saying no is easy. No cutting necessary.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
She has to be in standing-heat in order for them to get "the deed" done. There is a three-day window, and your buddy might not know exactly where she is in her cycle.

If he is interested, and grooming her, then if you leave them together for a week or two, then they will probably get "the deed" done. It is not like breeders demonstrate this to dogs or have them watch another dog breed a bitch. It is all instinctive. If you want puppies, that is probably what you will get.

A lot of folks will give you a lot of negativity for your decision to allow your dog to breed his bitch, and ask all kinds of questions from registration to titles and pedigrees and temperament and health. I am more concerned with whether your buddy knows how to care for the bitch, what to look for in terms of complications, and whether he has the time and space to properly raise a litter of puppies, and how he will then find homes for them.

I figure you all will do what you want to do, and it is neither legally or morally wrong to breed a litter of puppies. As the stud owner, your part is soon over. But you might want to read up on the ins and outs of breeding so you can offer assistance if necessary to your friend.

Good luck.

Reactions: newtothi5

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I am not a breeder and I’m not gonna do this often. The guy suggested that they’re both purely bred and we should put them together for reproduction and it seems natural. Also I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t know what the fate of the puppies will be.
If your dog sires this litter, than you are indeed a breeder. It doesn't matter how many breedings you orchestrate or mean to orchestrate. That is not how it works. If you are a stud owner or a dam owner, that facilitates a breeding, boom your a breeder. You can put up your shingle. What kind of breeder you want to be is totally up to you.

Reactions: newtothi5

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
My dog is intact but I would not breed him. How do you know any puppies will be well cared for and go to good homes? Have either dogs done anything toward a title or temperament testing? Are they DM free and have OFA ratings?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Reproduction is a part of life but euthanizing six to eight week old kittens at a shelter as soon as they come in the door is a fact of life when there are too many kittens and not enough homes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Why wouldn’t u bring a female in heat in contact with another dog ? If they’re both pure bred and taken care of ? It’s a natural thing. Dogs reproduce. What is wrong with u people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you think it's natural that hundreds of thousands of dogs get euthanised each in the USA ALONE due to IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDING?

There's nothing wrong with 'us people.' You came here asking if your boy 'didn't know what to do (in order to mate with another)' because he 'doesn't hump.' Mating, at least for dogs, it's instinctual, like some of the good people her have said.

Honestly, it's illogical, uneducated, narrow-minded human beings that are responsible for the ongoing deaths of so many animals. And the people who work hard to prevent it day and night and try to make the world a better place for them to live in, THAT MUCH harder.

Try working or volunteering in an animal shelter. Look into the eyes of the animals in cages, screaming barking next to each other, only getting out for 5 minutes every 24 hours, and then get dragged into the euthanasia room not knowing what they did wrong.

Honestly. Sincerely. Hopefully.

Go educate yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think it's natural that hundreds of thousands of dogs get euthanised each in the USA ALONE due to IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDING?

There's nothing wrong with 'us people.' You came here asking if your boy 'didn't know what to do (in order to mate with another)' because he 'doesn't hump.' Mating, at least for dogs, it's instinctual, like some of the good people her have said.

Honestly, it's illogical, uneducated, narrow-minded human beings that are responsible for the ongoing deaths of so many animals. And the people who work hard to prevent it day and night and try to make the world a better place for them to live in, THAT MUCH harder.

Try working or volunteering in an animal shelter. Look into the eyes of the animals in cages, screaming barking next to each other, only getting out for 5 minutes every 24 hours, and then get dragged into the euthanasia room not knowing what they did wrong.

Honestly. Sincerely. Hopefully.

Go educate yourself.
It is narrow minded, uneducated and flat out stupid, to accuse a random person on a forum of such things. when you have absolutely no idea how much animal well being means to me.
it is arrogance and hypocrisy to accuse me a random person asking a simple question, of being uneducated.
U have no idea on how to be helpful. or meaningful in any way.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Wow. Kind of an upsetting post. I still cant get past the fact you refer to your dog as an "it".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wow. Kind of an upsetting post. I still cant get past the fact you refer to your dog as an "it".
Basic English language, some might find it offensive to refer to the female as a bitch but u don't see me complaining. I don't know what your native language is but we don't use bitch and 'it' when talking about animals in mine.
And again, only an ignorant person would reply to a question by starting a completely unrelated topic.
So please walk away if u're not helpful to the topic. I thought this is the breeding section not the Gsd rescue nor the linguistics section. lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts