German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good GRRRRief, people are tough these days.

Got my truck all set up for the heat. Easily spent 1500 on it all. I have a Varigate that locks, so I have the back of my Honda Pilot set up like a big crate. I can leave the back window or whole hatch open and all the other windows too. Have a nice 18v fan that goes 8 hours plus on a charge. Have an extra battery. My truck is silver and the back permanent windows are tinted black. I have a reflective tarp.

It stays nice and cool! It was 88 degrees last week and it was nice and comfortable in there all day. I have a temp monitor so I tried it with no dog in it in direct sunlight without the tarp, and it never went about 80. The fan is awesomely powerful and ran 9 hours before dying.

Of course I got signage. Caution K9 stickers on the hatch and on both rear quarter panels.. "Stay back" magnets on the actual gate.

I am SET for training, going to the range for day long matches (parked far enough away so gun fire isn't a concern)

I THOUGHT....I thought this would also enable me to run in and out of stores, errands etc. NOPE!

Was in the deli getting a sandwich. People walking past on the sidewalk had about a 60 to 70% rate of sticking their face near the bars and peering in at him. He just stares back..he isn't friendly, but he is behaved (no can make bitey bitey barks at people's faces mom says). Then again a few morning later same deli...same thing. Someone actually curled a hand around the bar.

Then yesterday I was in our local hardware store. It was 74 degrees out. 2 women come in bellowing "who owns that truck with the poor dog in the heat in it?" We had some brief discourse where I took the time to explain a few things to her about dogs in hot cars, what is dangerous as opposed to safe, air circulation, acclimatizing, etc etc. She ended the conversation by saying "if you were not in here I still would have called the police, dog's safety comes first" Ok Mrs. Can't Be Wrong.

Well this is EXACTLY why I tested my set up before it got too hot, to see if people would leave him alone. They won't. They just won't.

I wonder if at that end of the day the realize their conduct leads to the dog getting left home more. It is obvious running errands in the heat even with this great set up is a no go.

Ah well. It is still good for dog training (because the people there all know better) and worked fine at a major firearms match I went to. Demographically it seems sports shooting people are usually not of the furbaby population, and odds are are attracted to working dogs and such, including hunting dogs. Will do for camping and a post hike beer if we can see the truck. We tend to go to outdoor beer gardens that allow leashed dogs anyway.

So, in the event that a rogue PETA person decides they want to go to a defensive pistol match...we have this. Is it big enough????Will it work???? The other stickers and magnets are maybe 3 in by 10 inch. I am hoping this will spell things out better lol

I mean he just stares at people looking all Spock like. There is NOTHING inviting about this dog. He doesn't wiggle butt or give off any indication he would like to say hello. Just looks all judgmentally eyebrowy. Like he just discovered the God Particle or something.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It is a magnet and I have 2, one for each side. I suppose I could lock it up and leave the air running. I do have an extra key. And I have a remote temp monitor (you need a subscription to it, but it is reliable) Even with the car running, with modern cars it is hard to tell if they are running and people will break glass and ask questions later. The magney has 2 cell phone numbers on so if someone calls the police they can call me. Or the people can call me themselves. What do you suppose the over under is that people will call even though it says temp is monitored on these things?

As my English friend would say...bloody people.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In most states people are charged with something like destruction of property for breaking windows on vehicles if the dog isn't visibly in distress from heat. I think the setup is fantastic. In my opinion it SHOULD be enough so you can safely leave him in the vehicle. I love that you brought up the fact he isn't inviting people to be near him. My last GSD would be barking and freaking out and people would walk up as if to pet her... I hope this works out for you so he can continue going places.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Will your signs work, no. Because that would require people to actually read, and they won't! But what an awesome set up! Your dog is lucky to have you!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I probably wouldn't have any sort of lable stating there is a dog in my vehicle. I see those as basically an invitation for people to go up and look for a dog, and then have a fit about it. Can you remove or cover up the lables and see if you get the same response?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I mean he just stares at people looking all Spock like. There is NOTHING inviting about this dog. He doesn't wiggle butt or give off any indication he would like to say hello. Just looks all judgmentally eyebrowy. Like he just discovered the God Particle or something.
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I probably wouldn't have any sort of lable stating there is a dog in my vehicle. I see those as basically an invitation for people to go up and look for a dog, and then have a fit about it. Can you remove or cover up the lables and see if you get the same response?
Bramble, you are missing the whole point! If he removes the signs, and someone sees the dog sitting in the truck, as it's doing in that photo, people likely WILL SMASH THE WINDOWS!!

The whole point of the signage is to prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I certainly hope it works! Amazing set up. But no, I generally don't rely on any stranger's capability to get the gist pretty much ever, even with a pulsing light, sirens, and a megaphone, because people. But I also lean cynical.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Case in point: One summer, I was working the gates at the Canadian National Exhibition. There were two ways of entering: those who had tickets for a grandstand performance presented them to a live person, because they would need the actual stub to be admitted to the performance, which was reserve seats only, while those paying cash purchased tokens at a ticket booth and used the automatic turnstiles.

We had signs up with instructions and we also had someone with a loudspeaker announcing how to get in. My job was to take tickets, and I lost count of how many people tried to give me tokens.

One lady said to me, quite indignantly, "OH, they should have a SIGN!"

"They DO lady, RIGHT THERE!"

I didn't add "Can't you READ??" but I was sorely tempted! >:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's a brilliant set up,as you say the only problem is the bloody people.
I don't know your budget but how about something like this?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, originally the point of the signage was because the idea was to be able to securely leave open windows and allow air circulation, while warning people not to stick their hands through the bars. Also, ok it locks, but I like the added security of looking "official". Hoping it makes people less likely to foll with things or try steal the vehicle. It has a kill switch and all, but still. I also have Federal LEO family emblems. Any little bit helps.

Bramble, you are missing the whole point! If he removes the signs, and someone sees the dog sitting in the truck, as it's doing in that photo, people likely WILL SMASH THE WINDOWS!!

The whole point of the signage is to prevent that from happening.
I'm hoping the temperature monitored assurance helps.

I don't like to leave the car running with the air on. Number one, it isn't very green, economical, and a lot of places give out tickets for idling. Number two, since the car is running, it would be easier for him to get car jacked. LOL oh the world we live in.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
What state just passed the law making it legal for people to break into cars to get animals out?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Good GRRRRief, people are tough these days.

Got my truck all set up for the heat. Easily spent 1500 on it all. I have a Varigate that locks, so I have the back of my Honda Pilot set up like a big crate. I can leave the back window or whole hatch open and all the other windows too. Have a nice 18v fan that goes 8 hours plus on a charge. Have an extra battery. My truck is silver and the back permanent windows are tinted black. I have a reflective tarp.

It stays nice and cool! It was 88 degrees last week and it was nice and comfortable in there all day. I have a temp monitor so I tried it with no dog in it in direct sunlight without the tarp, and it never went about 80. The fan is awesomely powerful and ran 9 hours before dying.

Of course I got signage. Caution K9 stickers on the hatch and on both rear quarter panels.. "Stay back" magnets on the actual gate.

I am SET for training, going to the range for day long matches (parked far enough away so gun fire isn't a concern)

I THOUGHT....I thought this would also enable me to run in and out of stores, errands etc. NOPE!

Was in the deli getting a sandwich. People walking past on the sidewalk had about a 60 to 70% rate of sticking their face near the bars and peering in at him. He just stares back..he isn't friendly, but he is behaved (no can make bitey bitey barks at people's faces mom says). Then again a few morning later same deli...same thing. Someone actually curled a hand around the bar.

Then yesterday I was in our local hardware store. It was 74 degrees out. 2 women come in bellowing "who owns that truck with the poor dog in the heat in it?" We had some brief discourse where I took the time to explain a few things to her about dogs in hot cars, what is dangerous as opposed to safe, air circulation, acclimatizing, etc etc. She ended the conversation by saying "if you were not in here I still would have called the police, dog's safety comes first" Ok Mrs. Can't Be Wrong.

Well this is EXACTLY why I tested my set up before it got too hot, to see if people would leave him alone. They won't. They just won't.

I wonder if at that end of the day the realize their conduct leads to the dog getting left home more. It is obvious running errands in the heat even with this great set up is a no go.

Ah well. It is still good for dog training (because the people there all know better) and worked fine at a major firearms match I went to. Demographically it seems sports shooting people are usually not of the furbaby population, and odds are are attracted to working dogs and such, including hunting dogs. Will do for camping and a post hike beer if we can see the truck. We tend to go to outdoor beer gardens that allow leashed dogs anyway.

So, in the event that a rogue PETA person decides they want to go to a defensive pistol match...we have this. Is it big enough????Will it work???? The other stickers and magnets are maybe 3 in by 10 inch. I am hoping this will spell things out better lol

I'm seriously surprised anyone messes with you and that set up... it looks very professional. Similar to a set up I'd expect to see in a patrol car.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was it passed recently? I think I saw the chatter on the IPO page within the last month.
Yes, people smashing a window in California are granted civil immunity if it was to save an animal. There are handful of states that have Good Samaritan laws pertaining to pets in cars.

And hey, I get it. If I saw a dog in distress I might take matters into my own hands if it looked really bad. I had a friend a few years ago that simply forgot that she had her Husky in the back of her truck. She normally would not have had him at that time, I forget the circumstance. It was a stupid thing to do and she never forgave herself.Even good people do stupid things. We are only human.

The problem people like us have is that while we know they are fine and we have made sure of that, soceity in general has only seen the campaigns that make them think a dog in a car in the summer is a death sentence, within like 5 minutes. It IS if the windows are merely cracked. Hey, I didn't know before I came here and asked, and learned that it is more about air circulation. People put dogs in cars with the windows cracked so they are secure, and yeah...that is dangerous. But, obviously, there are ways to make it safe for them.

I'm real happy with my setup though! I am disappointed it is going to be cool and rainy at IPO training tomorrow. I wanted to roll up and be like..look what I made! lol The other members there all have various types of neat set ups. Including the air conditioned trailers. I know it does not make sense, but I have always been uneasy about towing something alive. Bad enough I hit the curb sometimes making a turn to sharp lol

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here you go, this video lists the states you are allowed to break glass in. And even in this video..some of the dogs are clearly not ok (like the first one they got out) but others, like the lab chillin on the back seat with a windows all the way down seems fine. Except for some stranger talking to him though the open window. Maybe they should try a sign lol

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
I think it is a good setup for cool dog training days. I would not leave my dog in the car with the spacing of those bars in public parking lots. It would be too easy for someone to put their hands through the bars to the dog. Even if the dog wouldn't bite, some one could say they were bit by your dog. It doesn't take a strong dog to bite someone while in a car, territorial aggression and guarding behavior is enhanced when behind a fence or in a car.

I travel with my dogs quite a lot. I made at least 6 trips to Florida last year with Boru in my van. I leave the car running and the AC on high. I pop the hood, I also have fans and a swamp cooler inside the car in case the engine was to die. My car is locked and I check on the dog every 15 - 20 minutes. If I had a friendly dog, I would worry about it being stolen from the vehicle in your setup. With my dogs I don't worry them being stolen, I worry about someone trying to get them out and getting seriously hurt or sticking their hand in to pet them.

I think the signage draws more unwanted attention than needed. It seems to say "HEY EVERYBODY, I LEFT MY DOG IN THE CAR!"

You have certainly put some thought into this and for dog training on cooler days it is ideal. I wouldn't leave my dog in the car like that at a long range day, I'd leave him home.

I am curious about the fan you chose that runs for 8 hours on a battery or charge? I had one of those Halo battery chargers which worked really well for a while then it just suddenly died after jumping my car with it. It ran my fans for hours, regular box style house fans which movie a lot of air. I am thinking of setting up a solar charging system for the fans.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it is a good setup for cool dog training days. I would not leave my dog in the car with the spacing of those bars in public parking lots. It would be too easy for someone to put their hands through the bars to the dog. Even if the dog wouldn't bite, some one could say they were bit by your dog. It doesn't take a strong dog to bite someone while in a car, territorial aggression and guarding behavior is enhanced when behind a fence or in a car.

I travel with my dogs quite a lot. I made at least 6 trips to Florida last year with Boru in my van. I leave the car running and the AC on high. I pop the hood, I also have fans and a swamp cooler inside the car in case the engine was to die. My car is locked and I check on the dog every 15 - 20 minutes. If I had a friendly dog, I would worry about it being stolen from the vehicle in your setup. With my dogs I don't worry them being stolen, I worry about someone trying to get them out and getting seriously hurt or sticking their hand in to pet them.

I think the signage draws more unwanted attention than needed. It seems to say "HEY EVERYBODY, I LEFT MY DOG IN THE CAR!"

You have certainly put some thought into this and for dog training on cooler days it is ideal. I wouldn't leave my dog in the car like that at a long range day, I'd leave him home.

I am curious about the fan you chose that runs for 8 hours on a battery or charge? I had one of those Halo battery chargers which worked really well for a while then it just suddenly died after jumping my car with it. It ran my fans for hours, regular box style house fans which movie a lot of air. I am thinking of setting up a solar charging system for the fans.
Yeah, I hear you. That is why I tested in controlled conditions and before I committed to relying on it for a hot day. People will ignore any signage.

He goes forward on defense, so yeah I do not want people sticking their hands in there. His switch isn't too sensitive, people can walk right by close the vehicle and he doesn't care. Hands through though? Who knows. Plus he is just turned 11 months old. Lots of change going on in his head. My BF suggested chicken wire so people cant get to the bars but that is just getting down right silly. If I have to do public parking I will leave the windows up, door locked, and air on. I have a reasonably expensive yet regarded as very reliable temp alert system that goes right to my phone. I'd mostly need to leave them in the car if we were traveling and needed to run into a store or something.

The range trips are usually weekends away. We do not have any matches in NJ, ever, because anyone from out of state would risk instantly becoming a felon for booking a hotel with their gear, and odds are their gear will not be NJ compliant. I keep them far enough away where it won't bother them much. Not allowed to leave them in the hotel.

I got this fan and I really do like it. I bought the bigger 4ah batteries for it. Even if you use the 1.5 ah if you keep it on low it easily goes 8 hours. With the 4ah I got that long on high. I also like that you can plug it in as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P3320-Adjustable-Extension-Included/dp/B00JYJUM8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1526071101&sr=1-1&keywords=Ryobi+fan

I will be testing the temperature as the summer gets hotter to make sure the set up still keeps them cool enough. I may get a 2nd fan and a chillspot. Glad I did not get a black truck. The tarp is great too. It was noticeably cooler inside my truck with the tarp over it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LG1C7RQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you run bungees through the eyelets it is super easy to secure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts