German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanted to get some opinion's on my puppies ears, will they be going up?

They use to be more floppy... Now they're more so arched like a house roof, is this one of the stages (flying nun)?

Thanks.
Also, what can I do to help him on his ear lifting journey?

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm I looked through both threads but I can't really tell if his is the same situation, since he was 8 weeks old.. He had his ears glued, around 9 - 10 weeks he scratched the glue off, so they came completely down, very floppy. He's now I believe 15 weeks old... And they look exactly like that in the picture, he's never went through any ear stages, only the one he currently has in the picture, time to time (rarely), if he was sleeping and hears something, one ear will come up for a second than it drops again.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry until around 5-6 months old.
He would be teething now.

Here are a couple of things you can do to strengthen puppy’s ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs’ ears. Do this about 30 times per day.
2. Give them large raw (not cooked) real bones (2 times larger than his mouth): There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the gnawing, tugging and chewing the bone. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.
3. Feed one or two skinless chicken necks daily. It has naturally occurring calcium. DO NOT use a “Calcium” supplement.
4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.
5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Moisten the kibble with water and sprinkle 1 to 1 ½ Tablespoons on his/her food per feeding. This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin (orange box containing small packets) or Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin. Feed this every day for at least 4-6 weeks or longer. Great Lakes can be bought in larger, cost efficient packages here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KG7EDU/?tag=viglink20790-20
6. Make sure that his/her ears are not touching the top of the crate (crate pushes ears down) when sitting or standing.

Cute pup!
Moms:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts