German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all here, at germansheperd.com. I am a new member here and have two Rotties. In the past few weeks I have contemplated, obtaining a GSD strictly from working lines. This past weekend, I picked up a male, 19 months of age. I would greatly appreciate, if members, with solid knowledge of the particular dogs, contained within my males pedigree, to elucidate my understanding of these dogs that comprise his bloodlines as to temperament and drives these dogs have the propensity to throw.

My male is off of: Gent Di Migliore
Out of: Bo Gardefense

All feedback, is greatly appreciated. Please be patient with my novel and incessant questions, as I am new to this breed and wish to gain erudition from the pundits contained here on these forums. Thank you all in advance.

Warmest regards,
EO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gagsd! Yes, this is my boy. Maybe my question was ambiguous. What I am trying to discern, is, where his lines originated from and the temperament the dogs in his ancestry throw?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I don't have any input, just thought the link would make it easier for others to access it. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows your dogs ancestry.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Very strong working lines with dogs that are known for strong social aggression. Many knpv dogs are from these lines and good lines to find law Enforcement dogs, especially patrol.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
wow the mother of your dog was bred at 10 yrs, kinda too old in my mind, she should have been retired. Neither parent has titles or hips done, I would have looked elsewhere, unless this was a rescue situation, then congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Gagsd, Cliffson1 and BlackThorn GSD. This explains his full forward, intense and punching bite. Good news, he has an off switch but when he is on he is ON!

Trudy, his prelims were very good. I was seeking a serious working dog and that is exactly what he is. I cannot cast judgement like you alluded to. I have my own humans flaws to focus on. :) This dog comes from a man that ranked in the top 10 at the FCI World Championships in 2010 and he is a dear friend. I highly doubt he would house a dog for a year that was of rescue quality. LOL

Anyhow, thanks to all who contributed meaningful advice.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I have no doubt you have a very nice working dog, and you did good to trust the person who helped you acquire the dog. The quality of the lines did not seem to be happenstance.JMO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way Cliffson, I am using the next three or so weeks to bond with the dog. My buddy has advised me not to do any protection until Romero (AKA Bucca), has bonded with me, because, he goes so high in fight drive he will come up on me. Albeit, dealing with such a dog will sharpen my training skills and keep me on my toes.

Take care,
EO

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
As I said in first post, the pedigree has some some strong dogs with history of good aggression, so not surprised as to what your trainer advised. Good Luck with your dog!!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I highly doubt he would house a dog for a year that was of rescue quality. LOL
Yikes! Lots of dogs with very good pedigrees end up in rescue. Not the best statement! I know lots of SAR and dual purpose dogs that have a rescue background.

Perhaps a more accurate assertation would be a dog of "puppy mill" quality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In a sense you are correct Elsa. The dog went through a few hands, including, a PO K9 handler, however, he was returned because he is such a strong dog.

Blessings to all.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
EnlightenedOne... I was curious.. where are you from?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trudy, I wanted to apologize to you. You were correct about the parents not being OFA'd. I am taking my dog to have his hips radiographed this week, with a PENN reading because the vet I chooses for OFA is booked until mid-March.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I would say at 19 months, WYSIWYG - Having the titled dogs 3 generations back but not up close really doesn't tell you much.

It sounds like you have a very nice dog - good luck!

To me, worrying about the pedigree makes sense if you are looking at a young puppy, contemplating a breeding........etc.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts