German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a female pup she was born on the 7th of dec when i got her i was feeding friskies till i googled it and found out how bad it was 5 weeks ago she was 9kg(switched to acana that day)2day she is 13.15kg but everythig i read is saying she should weigh 3gk more will she now be a smaller dog?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I won't worry as long as she is healthy. It is better that she is gaining weight slowly rather than too fast as that isn't good for her bones. Relax and enjoy your pup.

·
Banned
377 Posts
i have a female pup she was born on the 7th of dec when i got her i was feeding friskies till i googled it and found out how bad it was 5 weeks ago she was 9kg(switched to acana that day)2day she is 13.15kg but everythig i read is saying she should weigh 3gk more will she now be a smaller dog?
She weighs 29 pounds at 16 weeks. That's not all that small. Probably about standard for females. Acana is excellent food, she will most likely be fine and at the size her genes want her to be.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I learned something new today, I had no idea Friskies made dog food. I had to Google to be sure since all I knew they made was cat food. O.O

On a side note, as long as she's lean and healthy for her size then it sounds normal. Those charts you'll see are just averages, some pups weigh more and some weigh less, some will even follow them right on point. You can't go by them with every pup. My girl was always a couple-several pounds UNDER the "average" until she hit about 6-7 months old and then she weighed the "average" for those months. When she got weighed at 11 months old she was OVER the average at 70lb! She's by no means fat or anything! She's very lean, good muscle tone...Just a big girl who was a late bloomer. What I was told to expect would be a 60-65lb dog will more than likely end up over the standard and closer to 75lb or so when full grown and filled out. (God forbid any larger than that!! She's big enough trying to tote around as it is!) Regardless, weight should be your last worry unless she's under or over for her body frame. She'll grow into what she grows into.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pretty much like someone else said, she's going to be as big as her genes tell her to be.

I've seen a fit-looking 110 lb GSD that ate junky grocery store canned food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts