German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I have a 9 month old female who is an angel on the leash. She walks loose leash with a gentle leader harness, isn't reactive to other dogs, and doesn't pull. My issue is that she will stop when walking and lay down, or all the sudden refuse to go any further in the direction we are heading.

I'm super frustrated, because it happens when we are getting ready to do something really FUN for her like get in the car and go to the park, or walk to an off leash area etc. I've tried luring her with treats, waiting patiently, using a ball, etc. However, she just won't budge. I've even had to call family to come pick me up before as it has happened mid-walk.

I've asked other GSD owners who say they don't allow their dog to have such --- liberties, the dog goes where they go. I'm like -- what am I missing here?

My question is, would a prong collar encourage her to continue walking with me until we get to our fun destination? I am considering getting one for corrections around the house.

Any advice would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
I would first try to understand why the dog doesn't want to walk. I would rule out any medical issues and then look at her general behavior on walks, whether the stopping point is regular or random, and if there is some environmental trigger.

Look at it from her point of view, not yours.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Both of my pups will do this fairly often on morning walks. I think their bored and have learned that this gets them a belly rub and some attention. There are times when they do it (usually one of the other but not both at the same time) when I'll say, No... not doing that now, and they'll get up and come. Other times, they just lay there - dead weight - and no amount of pulling on the collar makes any difference. So I don't pull. Instead I go up to them, and give them a belly rub (yes I know this is rewarding to them) but it also gives me a chance to look at their bellies for ticks, sores, etc., and then I give a command, like sit or stand and voila, up they come, I give them a treat and we go on our way. It doesn't stop the behavior but it gets them back on track pretty quickly. I've never had them do it when out in town; only when walking in the yard which is pretty boring.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but in my state we've had some pretty hot days lately. Could be the heat, and hot pavement, are deterrents. Just a guess. If heat could be an issue, don't forget a pup will dehydrate more quickly than a full grown dog. Don't forget water on the walks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts