German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wonder if our German Shepherd, Troy who is so good natured around everyone he comes across will become fiercesome if and when it came time to defend his mommy -my Daughter, or my son. Troy will go crazy barking at anyone who comes near our home -to the point that many people are scared. But, any soul who dares enter our house and befriend him -he immediately loves and bothers them none.. He has a wonderful temperment -and he's our third Shepherd in 30+ years. The prior two were more defensive. Perhaps because they were not raised by children (?).

my question is this: Our Son and Daughter are now 12 years old (twins) and walk Troy after Dark. We live in a nice neighborhood with no apparent reason to fear crime. Still, I wonder how much I can trust Troy to defend my kids while out walking him after dark were someone to try and harm them. He loves them like they were his parents -and they raised him from a pup. He's big now and a loveable bear -to all the childern in our neigborhood. I just wonder if he can spot evil, and defend my children -were he to be alone with them in such case.

I've been wondering this and thought I would ask for oppinions and experience.

Thanks.

-John

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
The bigger issue is if a friendly stranger approaches in the dark and your dog mistakes it as a dangerous one, will the 12 year old be able to handle facing the animal control board? I'd say continue with supervised dusk to dawn walks for a few more years. Or have the kids go out as a group with the dog. Not many people will mess with a trio like that.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Yeah thinking back to when I was 12 and my friends dog probably saved us a few to many times. I’m sure it’s why times are different and I would not have the kids walk at night alone even if the dog is well trained and in a good area as it does not matter. Keeps everybody safe as mentioned from other posters.
Any night walks consist of me walking with them. We have a dog for each and rotate dogs as we walk. Beautiful family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts