German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Shepherd is a family pet. He loves our kids (10 year old twins boy-girl) and they play with him constantly. My point is he is the most loving animal and now we have given him the roam of the house at 1 1/2 years old to watch over the house. How can I tell if this loving dog will viciously attack an intruder? Im just wondering if he's going to embrace a stranger at 3am in the morning.

·
Registered
775 Posts
There's a 99% chance he won't. Most dogs aren't natural "vicious attack dogs". He may, and that's a big may, bark and act aggressive but it's almost guaranteed that it's a front. If you want to know for sure pay a trainer to come by in a bite suit and put him in a scenario where you'd need protecting and see how he reacts.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Personal protection is a training process that builds on the dog's natural defense drives. They don't all come pre-packaged with the ability to defend a home.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Probably not as strong attack dog, but probably as good vocal deterrent. If your dog possessed the type fortitude to really aggressively take on intruder at 3am, you would have seen the traits already in other scenarios.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Our Shepherd is a family pet. He loves our kids (10 year old twins boy-girl) and they play with him constantly. My point is he is the most loving animal and now we have given him the roam of the house at 1 1/2 years old to watch over the house. How can I tell if this loving dog will viciously attack an intruder? Im just wondering if he's going to embrace a stranger at 3am in the morning.
I'm 99.9% sure mine would repel and intruder considering the extensive training we do continually. Having said that, I also have an alarm system in my home that is turned on every night, we sleep well.

A dog, even a well trained one is just one of several methods of making your home an undesirable target for intruders, consider getting an alarm system if you don't have one already.

Safety is not Expensive, it's Priceless.

Kim

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
As I just posted in the other thread about defending against burglars, think carefully about whether you really want this. It can result in the dog being killed or seriously injured by a bad guy who's not playing or training in a bite suit, who would just as soon kill your dog as "be deterred."

Here's what I just posted in the other thread:

It recently happened to the daughter of an acquaintance. Her dog tried to protect the home. It got several good bites on the burglar....and then the burglar beat the living crap out of the dog with a pipe or flashlight, breaking the dog's jaw in two places, breaking many ribs, destroying an eye, and leaving it near-death in a bloody heap for a loving owner to come home to. Can you imagine? :(

Her dog lived, as she was home soon and rushed it to the emergency vet, where it faced lots of surgeries and a long stay in trauma care. She would have rather had burglars take anything in her house instead of doing this to her beloved dog.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Along the lines of what Magwart said. I am not so worried about whether my dog will stop an intruder from just walking in my house or even stealing from me. What I want is a dog that if aggression or violence is shown to me or my children she will stop the person. Without ever being tested, and I pray she never is, I do believe mine would. But I also researched to find a breeder who had the type of dogs that I was looking for.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Deja barks when she hears something at night while loose in the house. She is quiet as a mouse when crated though as I recently discovered. Last week, 4 family members from out of state came in late in the middle of the night while we were already asleep. We had crated her (in the living room) so they wouldn't get startled by a barking GSD. Well, she never let out a whine even, and we didn't hear them come in. Very surprising. Still I am not worried; I refuse to get paranoid about 'stuff'. Just learned to not crate her when it is not needed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We like to put it this way. It is not so much Beware of the Dog but Beware of the Humans that the dog has alerted.
You are EXACTLY correct!

A number of years ago I organized a large, formal "Neighborhood Watch". I had a large, organized meeting once in which my local Sheriff Department showed a recorded video in which the interviewee was a convicted burglar. The Deputy asked the burglar how he selected homes to burglarize and he said he tries to avoid homes with dogs.

The Deputy said, "Oh, you're afraid of getting bit?", and the burglar said, "No, I'm afraid the dog will bark, wake up the armed owner...and I'll be shot!"

Craig

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
We like to put it this way. It is not so much Beware of the Dog but Beware of the Humans that the dog has alerted.
Exactly!

I'm planning to train my dog (current and future) to protect my wife if I'm not home, I have a near 0% expectation that most dogs including the dog I have now would do this with fire and ferocity based on natural instinct alone.

I also have reasonable expectations that even if they performed perfectly its really more of a deterrent and not necessarily going to be effective. What it will do is buy my wife time to call the cops. If the dog dies or is severely injured protecting her like in the story of an earlier poster, well it would break my heart but I'd rather replace a dog than a wife.

If I'M home and someone kicks down my door.... they better be the police at the wrong house or hope the dog subdues them first if they'd like to live through the experience.

30rds of 75gr TAP @ 2,600fps > dog. I'm not putting my little buddies life on the line over some knuckle head, it's MY job to defend my family and my home.

That was probably a little to direct for these parts, but ya'll know I'm a Southern boy. Please forgive me if I offended anyone's sensibilities. >:)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I wouldn't rely on it. Most dogs won't. At best they will alert to a strange presence or odd noise.

Further as Magwart said, is it worth it to lose your dog?

Shadow will bark at intruders but does not leave my side, and that's fine. All she needs to do is give me a heads up. I will deal with it from there. And you better believe that if you come into my home with ill intent, the dog will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You are EXACTLY correct!

A number of years ago I organized a large, formal "Neighborhood Watch". I had a large, organized meeting once in which my local Sheriff Department showed a recorded video in which the interviewee was a convicted burglar. The Deputy asked the burglar how he selected homes to burglarize and he said he tries to avoid homes with dogs.

The Deputy said, "Oh, you're afraid of getting bit?", and the burglar said, "No, I'm afraid the dog will bark, wake up the armed owner...and I'll be shot!"

Craig
LOL, if you hear screaming and gunfire just keep walking, nothing but a burglary gone bad. Nothing to see here keep walking.

Kim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first thing I'd pay close attention to johnpatrick, is how does he react if one of your kids gets up at 3am. Leave some lights on.
Troy wakes up and takes notice the second anyone wanders downstairs or into the kitchen. He likes to lay by the back door, and once in a great while I have been awoken to a volley of super loud barking at 3am -where he senses a deer or other animal has come too close to the house.

You are all so right about the fact that the dogs first purpose is as an ALARM. I completely neglected to consider that in my post but that is the very reason I have him wandering the house at night vs in his crate when he was a puppy. I am an active shooter, I belong to a range, I do IDPA shooting competitively. So none of that is any use if a perp can sneak right into my house unchallenged.

Great point about the dog serving as a general deterrent and waking the human with a gun so the dog no longer is in Jeopardy.

Thanks, I read all your posts.

·
Registered
31,833 Posts
I have a 4.5 year old dog named Cujo2. A retired police officer had him from baby-puppy to about 18 months old. The guy was in his 80s, had to move in with his wife to his sister's, and they were ok with the little dogs, but not the big dog that sheds. So I got him back.

He hates horses, and loves my nieces, and so when they come over, they let him sleep with him and watch movies with him, and share breakfast with him, etc. He was neutered young and has the long legs and girly kind of look of a young neutered dog.

When we were coming home from the fair, we were talking about watching scary movies, so they said they would have to have Cujo in. I laughed and asked them if they thought Cujo would protect them. They both assured me that he would. I laughed and said he was a wuss and I had to park bitches in front of him so that the burglars wouldn't steal him. The next night when I was taking the girls home, I packed them in the back seat with this big lanky boy. It's a little car. So his arse is on one girl and the rest of him is on the other, and the girls are just delighted.

I asked my sister to meet me half-way, which is near where I work, at a gas station. I had Cujo out, and was gassing with my sister and the girls, and suddenly I realized that Cujo was totally alert on a guy. No barking. Just ears pointed and attention fixed. I started watching the guy. He looked drunk or high or something. Cujo was alert, but not afraid. I got every impression that if that dude tried anything, Cujo would have probably gave an account of himself. Of course, I do not know. He has never been tried.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I love me dog's attitude, at 4 months old she saw my backdoor neighbor out later than usual, and immediately barked and advanced on him. She's now almost 8 months, but still shows the same tenacity, as just two nights ago my neighbor's wife was outside uncharacteristically late and she reacted the same way. Virtually anyone who is doing something out of character anywhere, gets her full attention. But would she actually bite? Who knows? Do I want her to, not sure. What I really want, is a dog that alerts me to ANY potential trial threat, and then relies on me to take care of it. I love my dog, and hope that she's smart enough not to get in my line of sight while I dispatch the threat 😊 Great story Selzer! I have a feeling Cujo2 would do then right thing...

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Troy wakes up and takes notice the second anyone wanders downstairs or into the kitchen. He likes to lay by the back door, and once in a great while I have been awoken to a volley of super loud barking at 3am -where he senses a deer or other animal has come too close to the house.
Something I pay attention to, is how they wake to things. Does he startle and jump up agitated? Excited if the kids wake him? Or does he remain a little more calm as he gets up when its family? I look at the dog that startles awake as one thats not always going to recognize people immediately, especially in the shadows or when he's already had a few occasions to be alerted at night. Kinda tapping into that suspicion and succeeding in his mind at running off the threat. Dogs I've had like that were very good at barking appropriately from their crate. Its sort of a natural limiter to bogeymen. As they're a little older and have more experience, they've settled down into not startling when the kids are being kids. Its a pretty obvious change.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Steve, glad you explained your earlier post. I've been a bit concerned about my younger female loving everyone she meets. Then, last year, when I was visiting my mom in Quebec, she scared the c**p out of both of us when she barked up a storm in the wee hours of the morning when my mom got up to pee!

My mom passed away last November, God rest her soul, so that was Eska's last visit with her. She was a dog lover too, so we both just laughed at Eska alerting to her in the middle of the night.

My older female sleeps just inside the front door, and has been known to bite/nip strangers she doesn't like. I'm not sure she'd do any serious damage to them, but she definitely would bark long and loud if anyone broke into the house at night. I have a phone near my bed, so if that ever happened, I could call for help if she didn't scare off the intruder.

But as I posted in the other thread, the dog alerting to an intruder is a huge deterrent in itself.

Mind you, I live in Canada, where handguns aren't nearly as common as they are south of the border...

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Enya doesn't make a sound when someone walks in. She stands her ground, watches intently and waits. I have to say people stop dead in their tracks when they see her. She has a look that is very scary. She is high working lines. If she ever barked at night, I'd be up in an instant. The only time she barks is if crated and a cat teases her and it's a bark of frustration. To be honest, I've never heard her bark in a warning bark. It's the same outside, she stands in front of the gate and stares them down. No one has tried to go past her or even tried to open the gate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts