German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so... we got the haunting down to almost tolerable.. He's learned that "time out" when he starts to haunt the other dog is not as fun as actually playing. He willingly goes to his "time out" spot and will stay there until allowed to join back in, but now.... he steals all the toys. If our other dog is playing with anything, Shemp will just come and take the toy right out of his mouth.. or will wait til he's not looking and steal it. Forget playing fetch with both of them.. he will get the stick and run off with it--even if they each have one.. he HAS to have the one our other dog has. He's also taken to stealing things out of people's hands that he perceives as toys. HELP!!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Its because dogs don't share. They may play with, they may compete for, they may give it up, or they may see a toy as a way to interact with you, but if you just let them decide what to do on their own, sharing probably won't be their choice. I'd pick the toys up, and play with him alone for now. Teach him to play when you say so, and to stop when you say so. Once you can set a clear beginning and ending like that, you can try playing with them together, under your control.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
What Steve said... because dogs don’t share. Keystone is a toy thief, Tilden isn’t bothered by it so neither am I. I play with my boys separately anyway and I don’t let them around other dogs if there are toys involved - so no interference there.

Why does it bother you? And how old is the antagonizer? Maybe we can offer suggestions for management in those specific areas.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Typical dog game: Dog A, the big male, has the favorite toy on his bed, so Dog B, the little pot-stirring female, goes to the window and barks ferociously, like something important is out there, causing Dog A to drop the toy and dutifully go provide her with "back up." Meanwhile Dog B darts over and grabs the toy, shaking it triumphantly as she prances away with her prize. Dog A falls for it every.stinking.time and that's just how it goes.

Stealing toys from people is a no-no. They're not allowed to do that. It's worth teaching a "give" or "drop it" command too.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Ha, ha, I have only seen females perform that trick. The males always fall for it. IN the past my female Whippet wanted the chair one of the others were lying in. Now way could she take possession of it for the other dog giving it up freely so she came up with a plan. Started throwing a worthless piece of fabric up in the air and having "so much fin with it" that the male (!!) assumed he was missing out on something special so he got up and she dropped the fabric, checked to see if he was far enough away so she could make it to the chair and I swear she felt triumphant! Since she did this more often I put it on cue by telling her "Show it Off!"
By the way: only kindergartners share ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Yep, Russ falls for it all the time. He always looks so disappointed too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shemp is 3. and it bothers the other dog...border collie who is 7..more than anything else. generally it starts a bit of an argument between them when it happens. we tried the playing with them separately tonight.. worked for a bit until Shemp decided all the toys were his and he wasn't letting go of the prize. so we ended the play altogether and put all the toys away. that was a game-changer, and everyone calmed down.

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Typical dog game: Dog A, the big male, has the favorite toy on his bed, so Dog B, the little pot-stirring female, goes to the window and barks ferociously, like something important is out there, causing Dog A to drop the toy and dutifully go provide her with "back up." Meanwhile Dog B darts over and grabs the toy, shaking it triumphantly as she prances away with her prize. Dog A falls for it every.stinking.time and that's just how it goes.
:rofl: You've been peeking through my windows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts