German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my first german shepherd, i was told she is 10 weeks old she is pretty big though.
well anyways they kept the litter outside so she was an outside dog, now we have her she is an inside dog for now and she will not go to the bathroom outside. i dont know what to do since she was an outside dog, i do not get it.
i will sit outside with her for a long time and she will not go and as soon as we go back in she goes potty.
please help it is really irritating!
also she is kind of skiddish how do i break her of that?
thank you!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I suggest crate training. I'm in no way a "professional" dog owner but that's how I trained my 2 dogs that I raised from puppyhood and it worked just fine. Basically you crate them at night when you are asleep. I woke up about 3 times in a night to take my pups out to pee and poop. When you wake up in the mornings make sure you pick her up and take her outside and set her in the potty area. I used to crate my puppies throughout the day during certain times and then take them out. Of course you are going to have accidents with them. NEVER scold them unless you catch them in the act. Don't ever put their nose in pee or poop, they don't get why you're doing it. This isn't the best advice I'm sure but it worked for me.

Oh and congrats on the new pup, hope you have great times with her!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
She is skittish because you are new to her.
For potty training you have to catch her at it, say NO and carry her outside then
praise when she goes outside. But you must catch her at it, 5 seconds later is too late.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i cant crate train her right now shes way too big for the one i currently have. so i guess i just need to keep taking her outside til she goes, and everytime she listens i praise her so she knows shes doing something good.
and as soon as she starts going i put her outside. well see how this turns out.
thanks again:)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
can you fit a cardboard box into the crate and use it as a divider? I would get started right away on the crate training. Lots of us get huge crates when the pups are tiny.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Also, is she consistently going in one area? If so you need to clean that area with white vinegar and water. And you need to keep her tethered to you or gated into the room with you so that you can rush her outside as she starts to go (just scoop her right up) and put her back outside and praise like crazy!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
It says the crate is too small for the puppy. I suggest you go out and buy a bigger one...you will need it regardless. A puppy that age should have one for when you aren't home too...too many things she can get into.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i cant crate train her right now shes way too big for the one i currently have. so i guess i just need to keep taking her outside til she goes, and everytime she listens i praise her so she knows shes doing something good.
and as soon as she starts going i put her outside. well see how this turns out.
thanks again:)
IMO, I would go and get a crate that will fit her when she is adult size, you can block the back of the crate off with milk crates or whatever, I used milk crates ziptied together, you just want enough room for the pup to go in and lay down....it has to be small in there, it's not cruel. You will need a crate anyway so get a big one.....good luck.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would take her outside and walk her around, play with her, sit with her, what ever it takes until she goes outside. Then praise her to death. This may mean you spend the entire day outside with her, but until she goes, you both must stay outside. When in the house I would have her attached to you by a leash. That way if it looks like she is thinking about going potty you can rush her outside. Far better to prevent the accidents in the house than to correct or take care of them after the fact. I would also go buy a crate that she will fit in. Not too big since you don't want her to think she can potty in there too.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
just got my first german shepherd, i was told she is 10 weeks old she is pretty big though.
well anyways they kept the litter outside so she was an outside dog, now we have her she is an inside dog for now and she will not go to the bathroom outside. i dont know what to do since she was an outside dog, i do not get it.
i will sit outside with her for a long time and she will not go and as soon as we go back in she goes potty.
please help it is really irritating!
also she is kind of skiddish how do i break her of that?
thank you!
when you can, purchase a large crate - sometimes people have them on Craigslist - if you get one there make sure to bleach it just in case the crate had been used with a sick dog.

keep your puppy on a leash in the house or right next to you in an enclosed spot. Take her out every hour and tell her to "potty" - stay in the same spot (w/in about 10 feet or so) for about 5 minutes. If she doesn't go, then bring her back in. Repeat every hour until she pees. Once she pees, then you can try to wait 2 hours or so, then do it again.

tell her "good" when she pees and when done - praise her and give her a treat. then go back inside.

try to keep play time outside and pee time separate - otherwise they will HOLD IT so they can play.

You may need to take her outside right after playing in the house as that is a sign she will soon need to pee. also, learn to watch her behaviors - like sniffing or being wiggly right before a pee. This will be an indication she is needing to go outside. Angeles learned when I put my shoes on to go outside to pee, that if he brought me my shoes I would let him out. If he forgets the shoes, then being wiggly and jumpy tells me he has to poop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

this is her.
idk about the leash thing because when i put her on a leash she wont move. and earlier we were outside for two hours and nothing but as soon as we walked in the door she peed in the house!!! :((
also i dont really want to create train her, all my dogs i have ever had didnt need to be in a create. i want her to learn that even when i am not in the house she still needs to act as if i were like all my other dogs do.
i really just do not know what to do. ive tried everything she will not go outside.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
1) I don't think that dog is 10 weeks old

2) Crate train her. If you leave her loose in the house as young as she is and not even housebroken, you're setting her up for failure. She'll learn that it's ok to tear things up and potty anywhere she wants because you're not there to stop her. If you crate her while she's young and irresponsible, once she's older and wiser you can leave her out of the crate unattended.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
1) I don't think that dog is 10 weeks old
:thumbup:

That is NOT a 10 week old puppy. She looks closer to 4 or 5 months. No 10 week old puppy has it's shiney "adult" coat all over it's whole body..

·
Registered
282 Posts
She is a cutie pie, though she does look older than 10 weeks to me. What do you do when you're outside with her? My guy didn't want to go either when I first brought him home. I basically planted myself in one place and only let him roam and sniff at leash-length. No walking back and forth around the yard, no play. Just stand there, bring a book if you have to. If he decided to lay down, then I'd just move enough to get him up again. When he finally went, HUGE praise and energetic playtime and affection. If he didn't go outside, then he went back into the crate and we tried again in half an hour.

I really hope you consider a crate. It's an invaluable tool. Also, I see a whole bunch of stuff in your picture that a pup would looove to chew up!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

this is her.
idk about the leash thing because when i put her on a leash she wont move. and earlier we were outside for two hours and nothing but as soon as we walked in the door she peed in the house!!! :((
also i dont really want to create train her, all my dogs i have ever had didnt need to be in a create. i want her to learn that even when i am not in the house she still needs to act as if i were like all my other dogs do.
i really just do not know what to do. ive tried everything she will not go outside.
Cute puppy!

(1) The peeing when she came in - she isn't trained yet to pee outside. Follow the steps provided earlier and you may want to add on using the crate - from outside to crate or leave on the leash - that is good if she just sits while on a leash in the house. Give her a chew toy to play with to stay entertained. She doesn't have to run around all over. It is okay for settle time - once she learns to pee outside then you can expand the boundaries.

(2) Crates are not punishment. Crates become a safe zone. For 2 years Angeles stayed in a crate when I was not at home and many nights when he wanted to play and I wanted to sleep - it creates a space for them to settle and sleep - get the rest they need, just like putting a baby to bed. Now he can be trusted while I'm gone.

It is okay to set boundaries for your puppy. And like another person posted - those are some fun things in that picture your dog could tear up and worse, could swallow and it gets stuck - now that is a HUGE expense for surgery or worse.

Your puppy is looking for someone to be the leader - you need to be that leader - what a great opportunity to build trust and respect.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Sorry but I have to repeat it, crate train. I never used to believe in them until my first GSD. If I wanted to keep my house intact and the pup safe I needed to use one. All of my GSD have loved it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, I am first time German Shepherd owner, my puppy Codey is 16 weeks old. I bought him when he was 8 weeks old. What I did with him was I slept on my couch for 1 week..lol and had his blanket by my side on the floor. I set my alarm to beep every 2 hrs, then wheather he wanted or not he went outside. It took 1 week and 2 accidents in the house. By the tiem he was 9 going on 10 weeks he was potty trained. The crate is wonderful! I have a big one and from what I hear dogs dont like to go potty where they sleep:) so that may be your best solution. Good luck sweetie! and congrats!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried the leash thing and just standing there and shell sniff and sniff and WILL NOT GO. Ugh it is so irritating. I had a 6week old gsd before and I got up every everytime she whined and took her to go potty outside from then on she whined when she needed to go. She was potty trained in a few days. With this one I've tried everything and im following your instructions but I just feel hopeless now. It is so irritating.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Try not to get irritated I know its hard but she will pick up on that. Remember she was living outside so it might take her longer to train. She may also already be used to going where she sleeps. Try to be patient and just keep doing what your doing. Find a treat she really likes (hot dogs work good) and use that.

Does she also poo in the house? If so pick it up and move it outside to where you want her to go. Another thing, has she been checked for a UTI?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts