German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Depends how old he is. If he's much over 2 it's probably more of a learned behavior by now something neutering can't undo. You'll need to train him to understand this behavior is not okay and keep a close eye on him when he's with other unaltered males. My lab is 8 and unaltered having no issues with other male dogs....but we have a few who have problems with him. I keep him away from them to avoid conflict:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks he is about 4, I think one of the problems is he doesnt seem to understand dog language, so I am working on that with him and the one park I go to its huge and everyone understands he was a rescue and that I am working with him, I am on him all the time, always know where he is, and stay close to him. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thanks he is about 4, I think one of the problems is he doesnt seem to understand dog language, so I am working on that with him and the one park I go to its huge and everyone understands he was a rescue and that I am working with him, I am on him all the time, always know where he is, and stay close to him. Thanks for the input.
Don't rescues neuter the dogs before they are adopted out?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how old is your dog?

what did you do untill this point to
stop any aggression?
He is 4 I have had him not long maybe 3 weeks, he didnt show any signs this is just popping up in the last week so I have been taking him and if I see him trying to size a dog up I tell him to come to me and if that dog comes to us I tell him leave it and walk away, so far it has gone ok we have had a few arguments but nothing serious thank god. He is not aggressive to the point of being uncontrollably nasty just a dog comes when we can feel the tension so I am trying to work through it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Neutering may help but you with this and it may not. You need to address this with a training and behavior modification
approach. IT sounds like a selective reactive issue-you need to treat like it will happen with any dog.

I agree with what Zoey's Mom said, but would probably expand it to say you want to be vigilant with any dogs not just unaltered males to keep it from escalating.

You'll need to train him to understand this behavior is not okay and keep a close eye on him when he's with other unaltered males. My lab is 8 and unaltered having no issues with other male dogs....but we have a few who have problems with him. I keep him away from them to avoid conflict:)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It sounds to me like this is a problem he is having with dogs that he doesn't live with? Are you taking him to a dog park?

As a breed, mature GSDs are generally not dog park-type dogs, intact or not. GSDs bond strongly to their family but tend to not care to interact that closely with strangers - dogs or people. If this is the case my suggestion would be, stop trying to make your GSD into a Golden Retriever :) He doesn't need to go to the dog park and he doesn't need to have doggy friends outside of his family. What he needs and wants more is interaction with you - play fetch with him, play with a "flirt pole" with him, take him for walks or hikes or bike rides, work on teaching him new things.

Now if this is a problem he is having on leash aggression with other dogs, you simply have to teach him it is not acceptable. Here is a good article to get you started on dealing with on leash dog aggression: On Lead Aggression

Also if you have only had him 3 weeks, taking him to any sort of off leash park is jumping the gun a bit. You and he hardly know each other!

New dogs, especially newly adopted adult dogs should have a lot of restrictions when you first bring them home. Right now your dog should be treated like a young puppiy who can' be trusted in the house. He should be confined if you can't watch him, tethered to you when possible and not allowed to roam the house. When off leash he should wear a long line, so he doesn't learn right off the bat that if he don't want to come, you can't do anything about it. Instead of taking him to an off leash dog park you should be spending time bonding with him, training him and teaching him the rules of living with you.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I've just got to say that I laugh every time I read this forum title. I've often thought that males of all species could be helped by neutering.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds to me like this is a problem he is having with dogs that he doesn't live with? Are you taking him to a dog park?

As a breed, mature GSDs are generally not dog park-type dogs, intact or not. GSDs bond strongly to their family but tend to not care to interact that closely with strangers - dogs or people. If this is the case my suggestion would be, stop trying to make your GSD into a Golden Retriever He doesn't need to go to the dog park and he doesn't need to have doggy friends outside of his family. What he needs and wants more is interaction with you - play fetch with him, play with a "flirt pole" with him, take him for walks or hikes or bike rides, work on teaching him new things.

Now if this is a problem he is having on leash aggression with other dogs, you simply have to teach him it is not acceptable. Here is a good article to get you started on dealing with on leash dog aggression: On Lead Aggression

Also if you have only had him 3 weeks, taking him to any sort of off leash park is jumping the gun a bit. You and he hardly know each other!

New dogs, especially newly adopted adult dogs should have a lot of restrictions when you first bring them home. Right now your dog should be treated like a young puppiy who can' be trusted in the house. He should be confined if you can't watch him, tethered to you when possible and not allowed to roam the house. When off leash he should wear a long line, so he doesn't learn right off the bat that if he don't want to come, you can't do anything about it. Instead of taking him to an off leash dog park you should be spending time bonding with him, training him and teaching him the rules of living with you.
I see what you are saying, but he does not like fetch, and his prey drive is not on par with a flirt pole. The only time he likes to run around is at the park and he actually is starting to learn to play like a dog. He is very attached to me but through the dog park he is learning that people dont hurt and is coming out of his shell faster then if we just kept him home. Loud noises no longer startle him and where he would run from people he is now approaching them for pets. I think the dog park is good for him his confidence level has gotten higher and he really enjoys it. He is learning dog language as before he had no clue a bark was a fight and now he is learning that dogs can be vocal and still be playing. I am not trying to turn him into a golden retriever and thank god since most at the park are aggressive.

Riley is not your typical shepherd, we have to confine him when we are gone because of the SA but if I am home no need he doesnt wander at all he sticks to my side like glue. He does not like to play he likes to lay around until we go to the park. He gets 2 walks a day they are about 2 miles long. I think I am doing very well with him he has come a long way and I spend a lot of time with him.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I see what you are saying, but he does not like fetch, and his prey drive is not on par with a flirt pole. The only time he likes to run around is at the park and he actually is starting to learn to play like a dog. He is very attached to me but through the dog park he is learning that people dont hurt and is coming out of his shell faster then if we just kept him home. Loud noises no longer startle him and where he would run from people he is now approaching them for pets. I think the dog park is good for him his confidence level has gotten higher and he really enjoys it. He is learning dog language as before he had no clue a bark was a fight and now he is learning that dogs can be vocal and still be playing. I am not trying to turn him into a golden retriever and thank god since most at the park are aggressive.
Considering you want to force your mature GSD to "play nice" with a bunch of strange dogs (especially when some are aggressive), I'd say you are trying to make him into something he isn't. Why not work on building his interest in toys and interacting with you, instead of focusing so much on him interacting with other dogs? This article explains how to build toy drive in a dog who isn't interested:
How to Create a Motivating Toy

Riley is not your typical shepherd, we have to confine him when we are gone because of the SA but if I am home no need he doesnt wander at all he sticks to my side like glue. He does not like to play he likes to lay around until we go to the park. He gets 2 walks a day they are about 2 miles long. I think I am doing very well with him he has come a long way and I spend a lot of time with him.
Since you've only had him a few weeks, your dog is still in the adjustment phase of living with you. As he settles in, you may find that he isn't as disinterested in play as you thought. You haven't really gotten to see this dog's true personality because it can take adult dogs a good 6-8 weeks to be totally comfortable and at home with new people.

I'm not sure why you feel he isn't a typical shepherd though. GSDs tend to bond to people very closely and should be able to settle in the house, especially at 4 years old.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cagirl

I agree with the socialization. My GSD Roscoe had bad fear agression with people when I got him. I got him as an adoption at 1 year old. He would lunge bark etc the whole 9 yards. Prior to training I thought man he is never going to be around people and I am going to have to muzzle him. LOL he was like me with dogs..love dogs hate people..LOL.

This is what worked for me BIGTIME..petsmart. I took him there 5 times a week on average and hung out for like 1.5 to 2 hours. I had him on a pinch collar and approached anyone remotely interested in petting him with "hi I'm john would like to pet my dog"..His confidence level in people rose bigtime. It did not happen overnight it took literally six months of training and socialization but I am happy to say he is 99% free of fear agression and has become very confident. My trainer's mindset was face the fear and the fear dies BUT in a controlled manner like the pinch collar and Roscoe in a heel being petted. The more the better.

I have been to one dog park and NEVER again. I agree with you on taking him around lots of dogs but I would try to full maintain control meaning keep him on a long leash or e-collar till he has his confidence with dogs and he introduces himself the way YOU want...not him out of fear. Good Luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Considering you want to force your mature GSD to "play nice" with a bunch of strange dogs (especially when some are aggressive), I'd say you are trying to make him into something he isn't. Why not work on building his interest in toys and interacting with you, instead of focusing so much on him interacting with other dogs? This article explains how to build toy drive in a dog who isn't interested:
How to Create a Motivating Toy

Since you've only had him a few weeks, your dog is still in the adjustment phase of living with you. As he settles in, you may find that he isn't as disinterested in play as you thought. You haven't really gotten to see this dog's true personality because it can take adult dogs a good 6-8 weeks to be totally comfortable and at home with new people.

I'm not sure why you feel he isn't a typical shepherd though. GSDs tend to bond to people very closely and should be able to settle in the house, especially at 4 years old.
Ok if he didnt enjoy the park I would not take him he likes to go and run around visiting people and the dogs. So I am not forcing him to do anything other than behave himself.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I cannot speak for all dogs, but I think the dog park has been great for Mac.The funny thing is he runs from medium and large dogs but chases after the little ones.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I cannot speak for all dogs, but I think the dog park has been great for Mac.The funny thing is he runs from medium and large dogs but chases after the little ones.
My 16 month old GSD loves the dog park! He runs from the little dogs but he loves chasing and playing with the big dogs! Hahaha!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts