German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been a silent user of this forum for a while and is a fantastic forum to discuss all things for our beloved GSD's.

My puppy Achilles is 8 months now (will post pictures soon) and has been a great part of the family.

My brother had been living out of my parents house for the past 1 year and is now returning with his 12 week Rottweiler cross stafford shire puppy.

I have been training Achilles obedience (heel, sit, stay, drop, recall) for the past 4 months and he is doing exceptionally well. I am also training basic personal protection with an accredited shutzhund trainer.

My question is will my brothers new puppy interfere with my training. They will both be living in the backyard of my house.

The past few times they have been together they are constantly 'playing' until Achilles becomes rough and we have to separate them until they calm down.

I am very serious about Achilles training however my brother is training his dog but not expecting a high level of standard that I am.

what can I do to ensure these two puppy's get along and that my brothers dog does not interfere with Achilles training.

Thanks in advance, and look forward to becoming an active member of this great resource.

Peter

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Both the dogs are going to be living outside? And a 12 week old puppy is one of them? Please bring the dogs inside there are to many dangers leaving them outside 24.7 ...

Second, you will have to do your training away from the pup for now and gradually work on doing his training with distractions such as this pup, or likely he will not want to listen and the pup will interfere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thanks for your reply.

Achilles who is 7 months is outside under or verandah which is attached to the house but my brothers dog is still living inside until he becomes atleast 5-6 months.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Many people limit dog/dog interaction in their home....I don't.
My three dogs are loose together/play together.

I train one in IPO and he is balanced/stable, but I'm sure if he was not allowed to interact with my other two and crated or kenneled often he'd be a different dog on the field. He'd probably have more energy and his drive levels would be higher if he was not allowed all that freedom.
He is neutral to other dogs, which is a great thing...he doesn't see them as threats or playmates. Some dogs I see at training aren't around other dogs(interaction) and either want to play or are reactive/aggressive. I'd rather have that neutralness.
what can I do to ensure these two puppy's get along and that my brothers dog does not interfere with Achilles training.
supervise all interactions and keep the dogs separated when you can't.
Achilles training should not be affected by another dog living in the home(as long as you manage that interaction!).

You know his personality by now and how to manage it to bring out the best of him during your training sessions.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
agree with Jane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies,

I have decided I will socialize them under supervision when I am home and when I am not home I will have Achilles in a large pen. I am thinking of building a pen roughly 3 meters wide by 5 meters long.

I will make sure that this pen will be a relaxing and rewarding environment that he will enjoy being in.

I'm still open to any suggestions or criticism regarding my posts.

After all I only have the very best in mind for my young man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts