German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that My sweet baby is 12-13 weeks old. I adopted her from a rescue center. She wasn’t 100% on the age, because she was given the pups in January. I’m just wondering if by the photos below if anyone thinks her ears will stand. She mives them a lot especially when she hears noises. Please help!! She is German Shepard lab mix

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
She looks to me like she got the Labrador ears, but either way, she's a very pretty pup!

Reactions: IllinoisNative

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
If they aren’t sure of her age then they likely aren’t sure of her breed either.
Generally speaking ears up + ears down = ears that are somewhere in between. Just as ears in between + ears up have a greater chance of going up and vice versa.

Your pup does not scream lab nor shepherd to me.... possibly shepherd with a bit of ridgeback, hound or boxer.

Either way, only time will tell. Even full blooded GSDs ears aren’t guaranteed to stand.

I’ll cross my fingers along with you tho, but those ears are pretty big! ;)

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd have to agree with other post. Uncertain about purebred. However I went through that fear seeing one ear up other down. Freaking out like any new mom. But I was way premature in questioning it. I raw/dry feed mine at 9 weeks. She will be 21 weeks next week; 20 inches from withers and 54lbs tall and very lanky. Went to food lion which has beef bones I boil into broth and add to 3 feedings a day raw now mixed with dry, omega fish oil, multivitamin, calcium. Along with letting her have raw beef bone to chew which has bone marrow in it. German Shepherd dogs go through teething all the way up to the age of 4 to 6 months. Mine will be 5 month's in a week and still hasn't lost those **** crazy puppy teeth. ? (ouch) Anytime during teething they actually lose calcium. Ears could come up or sometimes go down after coming up but in most cases if they come up then drop usually they return to up position. So calcium does need to be supplemented. Yes; I know some will argue to much or to little calcium is harmful. I say it depends on your dog. Less calcium in diet of a gsd is going to be way more harmful then to much. You have to weigh the risk according to dog and under veterinarians advice. If you question your breed or health risk i suggest embark dna testing. Luckily I didn't haven't to go to that extreme her gsd looks came almost over night with her ears standing up within 11 weeks fully. Now she's all ears! THEY ARE HUGH!! If they usually don't come up by 4-5 months. They won't without manipulation; like taping. Hope this helps. Pleanty experience with multiple breeds but this is my first with the gsd breed so I'm learning as I go. But I read A LOT!! Hope all works out! Up or down gsd is the best!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
She does have face and body but if I had to take a guess at mixed I'd say gsd and pit. I'm very experienced in pits but it's hard to tell. And her ears would match that of a pit. Did you get her with AKC papers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do see lab " good call on other comment ". Hard to say. Embark is kinda expensive. Most use them because their one of the few with wolf dna. However if it's a common breed there are much cheaper dna products that cover a wide range of breeds.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I would say no to the ears standing. They are big and thin looking, more like a hound's ears. I see beagle in her face. She's cute!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with Jax08. I'm always curious about why someone with a mixed breed pup would worry about the ears standing.

You have a very cute pup. Enjoy her for what she is and try not to expect her to be something she will never be, whatever her ears do.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
I'd guess no on the puppy's ears I'd guess yes on the lab as part of the mix. But but but very cute, you seem very taken with her --- both good signs for a successful "dog life."

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think she is very cute with her ears down. It suits her lovable face. I'm almost thinking that she is cuter with ears down versus ears up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts