·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The closest Evet is about 40 min away.
What If I have a super emergency?
Bloat?
Can I call 911?
I mean.....are there 24 hr on call vets? (CT)
(Everything is ok....I just like to be prepared! I worry alot so I like to have a plan)

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Call your vet and ask. They may know of somewhere closer.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
911 is not going to get involved with a dog. If the nearest e-vet is that far away then I would call them and find out the best plan of action. Such as do you call on the way? do you call before you leave? Is there another vet in the vicinity? If they are not there then who covers for them?

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I would call your regular vet and ask. Our local vets rotate "on call" for emergencies.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
UMM NO 911 is not for animals....You need to double check and ask around to put a plan in place in case you ever need it.The closest e vet is 30 minutes away from me so I have no choice.If my vet is open it's 30 minutes so I just have to go by who is open when the emergency arrives.If I think it will need over night care and possibly a couple of nights I have another 24 hr one that is around 45 minutes away.It all depend on what emergency comes up.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Originally Posted By: AmaruqI would call your regular vet and ask. Our local vets rotate "on call" for emergencies.
Double check on that too.(Angel not Amaruq)I thought my old one did that but when I had an emergency at 10PM one night it took me an hour to get a hold of them then they sent me to the E vet.Needless to say I switched vets since it was a hassle to have them get back to me after hours.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel RIm just SO nervous my dog will get that "bloat!"
I've heard if you give them gasex, that will buy you time. Might be the topic of a new thread becuase I'm by no means experienced with bloat other than loosing one dog to it 25 years ago.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They should have a type of 911 for pets!

I know I would pay extra for it (maybe pay someone at the vet clinic to be on call?).

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Where in Ct are you?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The closest one is now Branford. 27 min away.
I just like to have a game plan...you know?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Your very organized!! My closest e-vet is 30 minutes in Portsmouth NH.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to be organized! lol
I have THE WORST aniexty EVER!
Kilo helps me with it though.
I always run "worst case senerios" in my brain, tell my bf 400 times to watch out for Kilo going near cars before I go to work, show him the vet number in case he needs it....ETC!
Worrying takes up a HUGE part of my life, I am trying to work on it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I worry alot too, when you become a skin kid mother if you ever do or plan to the worry is worse!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: Heidi WI worry alot too, when you become a skin kid mother if you ever do or plan to the worry is worse!!!
OH GOD! I really dont want kids JUST FOR THAT REASON!
I would have to put a GPS on them.
Too much for my nerves to handle. LOL!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Take a deep breath...... relax.... I was the same way when I was in my 20's. Finally figured out I could not control it all and it was making sick trying.

My nearest e-vet is 100 miles, in Tulsa. Thankfully the local vets share call and I can be at one in 10 minutes if I have to.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted By: KathyWTake a deep breath...... relax.... I was the same way when I was in my 20's. Finally figured out I could not control it all and it was making sick trying.

My nearest e-vet is 100 miles, in Tulsa. Thankfully the local vets share call and I can be at one in 10 minutes if I have to.
OMG! Atleast you have an on call vet! Thank God.
I try not to worry, but then i do and I get very sick. Im getting better at keeping myself togther.
(Im trying.)

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
1. Don't borrow trouble.
2. Talk to your vet.
3. ALWAYS call the evet rather than just swinging by.

You do need a plan. Often I've called my vet, emailed my vet (I have two vets) and just headed in before they got back to me.

To calm your fears about bloat, look up the "bloat kit" on line. It has some good recommendations.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts