German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Meet Leo, He's my puppy boy. He is almost 4 months old. I have had a German Shepherd before when I was back in India, he had a black face. Now Leo on the other hand, doesn't. Leos father is a all white German Shepherd and He looks exactly like his mother. Please look at the pictures below and let me know if his face will get darker. I have looked at many pics of German Shepherds on the web, but was not able to locate one like him. Thank you.
Also, please let me know if the father and mother look full blooded. I think they are but I might be wrong.

This is him now.

His father (White), and Mother who looks identical to him.

- I'm assuming that he will look just like his mother.

P.S. - I love this forum!!!!!! I can get all the help I need! THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I would say reverse mask but he also doesnt look pure to me either. The pic of mom didn't show up.

He won't turn white. White GSDs are born white. If anything the darker colors on him might decrease so there's more tan than black.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
He's really cute, but there's something else in there with him besides GSD.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
The parents pic didn't show up. He's a very cute pup but he looks mixed. White does not cause color fading. White is a masking color which masks the real genetic color.

He will not get darker, he will get lighter with age.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Mom looks mixed and your pup will likely be very similar coloring as her. The black markings will fade as he is 6mo to a year, and even after that somewhat. Dad looks mostly purebred. In the top photo it looks like a touch of husky but in the bottom he looks more GSD. Mom I would consider pretty mixed looking.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello,
Meet Leo, He's my puppy boy. He is almost 4 months old. I have had a German Shepherd before when I was back in India, he had a black face. Now Leo on the other hand, doesn't. Leos father is a all white German Shepherd and He looks exactly like his mother. Please look at the pictures below and let me know if his face will get darker. I have looked at many pics of German Shepherds on the web, but was not able to locate one like him. Thank you.
Also, please let me know if the father and mother look full blooded. I think they are but I might be wrong.

This is him now.

His father (White), and Mother who looks identical to him.

- I'm assuming that he will look just like his mother.

P.S. - I love this forum!!!!!! I can get all the help I need! THANK YOU!!!!
Their faces get lighter with age, not dark. Also he is a mix. Not purebred.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
He's really cute!

I think it's possible to get black from that breeding but I think the black puppies aren't really black, they just look black because the pic is so small. Black and tan shepherds are born almost solid black and then the black recedes as they age (whereas sables are often born the color they will return to as an adult).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts