German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does long time crate makes the puppy more aggressive?

I can play with him before work and after work. but have to crate him 8 hours per day. Worrying this may makes he more aggressive, is it true?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Short answer is yes. Long answer is to many variables to say to what extent. First off a puppy cant be created for 8 hrs without having a accident, which will set back potty training. Also why you crate for 8 hrs, if it is work I would highly recommend getting a dog sitter. Crating for 8 hrs will deprive the puppy of bonding time with you as well and releasing energy if the puppy has pent up energy it will release it in a forms you will not like. Another thing is socialization will he effected, that is the biggest problem you will have a unsocialzed dog is not a good thing. Unsocialzed dogs tend to he scared which can lead to aggression, I would say do bit crate for 8 hrs find another way. Luna gets created for a maximum time of 3 hrs and that is only on one day. Yes she gets crated the out the day if I leave to go do errands or I go shower but not 8 hrs, currently Luna is with me in my car yes in a crate but only until I get to my next job i let her out to walk around and sniff l, then I crate ger knock the call out and drive to the next call.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
8 hrs during the day and what about the night? That adds at least 6 hours I would think. How much fun for that pup? Why get a pup then? There is no time for socialization, building personality or muscle and training and just pure fun and enjoying a new puppy. What about you when you come home for work? No time for anything but trying to make up for that puppy. A pup needs to relieve himself at least every few hour so you may have problems getting the pup housebroken. Forget about the semi-convenient puppy pads as he will shred them from boredom. How would that be for you, being locked up all day without a bathroom? A retired greyhound would be better; just a couch and they are fine for 20 hours.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There are plenty of adult dogs in foster care that have been tested and observed, and their foster will be able to tell you exactly how they would do alone all day.

I think the correct advice is do not get a puppy if it is alone while everyone 9 to 5's. Taking 2 weeks off wouyld be a good start but still would not cut it. They can't hold their bodily functions in until at least 7 or 8 months old for that long. On a daily basis.

If you do not have someone that can come in and break it up during the day, I would go with an older calm dog.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I believe the OP posted on another thread that a friend could come in to let the puppy out midday, but they were worried it would cause the puppy to develop bad habits that would be hard to un-train later. If you want to get a puppy or already have one, someone should come in to let the puppy out while you are gone. Get someone you trust and be very clear about what things are allowed and not allowed with your puppy. It is important that the puppy gets time to stretch its legs and go to the bathroom without having to sit in it all day. That will cause potty training AND crate training issues down the road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He's going to need access to water at least every 2 hours if it's warm (for him not you),and if it's a young pup it'll need feeding too,not to mention toileting.

Think of it this way,he could crap all over his cage and then knock his water over 2 mins after you leave the house,then what?
How are you going to house train it?

It's not a humane or practical way to raise a pup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I will consider have someone to help when puppy picked up.

How about 7 month puppy when leave him in crate for 8 hours, will this also make him aggressive? (2-7 month had someone with him)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've crated my dog for about 7-8 hours a day plus about 9-10 hours at night ever since I brought her home. When I first brought her home, she did get a potty break every two hours or so but she was still crated for long periods of time because I had to work.

I have asked a question very similar to this to quite a few people in messages about having my pup in her crate all day and not one of them said that she would suffer at all. In fact, many people came back with telling me to take a chill pill and it wasn't going to hurt the dog because in the end, she has time with me before and after work and she is loved. Not everyone can be a 'work from home' type person and I was told to not worry about it as long as I could devote time to my pup whenever I could get some which is mainly on weekends. Now I know my pup isn't in her crate for 8 hours a day because she gets a break midday for a walk. But still, I find it hard to get advice on this topic when half of the people will say that I cannot leave my dog outside unattended due to her getting into something. Then half of the people tell me I cannot leave her wandering around unattended inside because she will destroy something. Now many people are saying to not leave your dog in a crate while you work because it could have negative consequences. I know I said three halves but that just proves how confusing the advice given can be.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've crated my dog for about 7-8 hours a day plus about 9-10 hours at night ever since I brought her home. When I first brought her home, she did get a potty break every two hours or so but she was still crated for long periods of time because I had to work.

I have asked a question very similar to this to quite a few people in messages about having my pup in her crate all day and not one of them said that she would suffer at all. In fact, many people came back with telling me to take a chill pill and it wasn't going to hurt the dog because in the end, she has time with me before and after work and she is loved. Not everyone can be a 'work from home' type person and I was told to not worry about it as long as I could devote time to my pup whenever I could get some which is mainly on weekends. Now I know my pup isn't in her crate for 8 hours a day because she gets a break midday for a walk. But still, I find it hard to get advice on this topic when half of the people will say that I cannot leave my dog outside unattended due to her getting into something. Then half of the people tell me I cannot leave her wandering around unattended inside because she will destroy something. Now many people are saying to not leave your dog in a crate while you work because it could have negative consequences. I know I said three halves but that just proves how confusing the advice given can be.
IF your options are either leaving your puppy in its crate for 18/24 hours a day or leaving her outside by herself all day...obviously not a good time to get a puppy

Reactions: Digs1

·
Registered
10 Posts
IF your options are either leaving your puppy in its crate for 18/24 hours a day or leaving her outside by herself all day...obviously not a good time to get a puppy
Okay so that means that pretty much no person between the ages of 18-65(retirement) can get a puppy ever. Is that my understanding? Well, hold up, I need to rehome my dog now...

Also what about all the dogs that get left in the shelters with one walk a day for exercise? I feel like there are many other people who have work schedules too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Most people I know with dogs did not get them as a puppy - and the ones that did had the flexability to do so. I am 23 and I have a puppy but 18 hours a day just does not sound like much of a good life?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Okay so that means that pretty much no person between the ages of 18-65(retirement) can get a puppy ever. Is that my understanding? Well, hold up, I need to rehome my dog now...

Also what about all the dogs that get left in the shelters with one walk a day for exercise? I feel like there are many other people who have work schedules too.
You should look into an ex-pen or two instead of the crate for when you are gone - it will give your dog more room while still being safe as long as they are trained to not jump up on the sides!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I’ve had 4 shepherds ( not at the same time) all being 7 weeks -3 months when I got them, Ozzy being my fifth. I was a single mom back in the day and pup was in crate while I worked 8 hrs a day. Had someone come get the pup out 3 times a day and all did just fine. I always fed 2 times a day because I worked.
Now I work 3 12’s, bf works 8 and neighbor gets Ozzy out 3 times a day. Much better situation but he is still in his crate. He does very well and is safe there when not supervised.
Just because u work does not mean U can’t ever get a pup just need to have a plan for the pup when ur not home.
I would never leave a pup in a crate 8 hrs a day without getting out.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't think the issue is that crating for most of the day makes a pup more aggressive, but rather, it is a very impoverished environment and prevents the dog from developing his maximum potential. It can certainly lead to increased frustration, which might contribute to puppy aggression. If you are going to work and raise a puppy, you need to come up with a better solution than leaving the pup in the crate all day until you get off of work and then all night. Well bred GSDs are very intelligent and they need to experience the world and not be locked up in a crate for the majority of their early development.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Do you think it's humane to leave an intelligent,social and energetic puppy locked up in a small cage for 18 hours a day?

Being locked in a kennel all day is far from ideal,but much better.
They can walk around,jump,have access to water,stretch out when they lie down etc.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I guess I’m a terrible person then, I’ll work on getting my dogs rehomed ASAP

·
Registered
382 Posts
I’ve had 4 shepherds ( not at the same time) all being 7 weeks -3 months when I got them, Ozzy being my fifth. I was a single mom back in the day and pup was in crate while I worked 8 hrs a day. Had someone come get the pup out 3 times a day and all did just fine. I always fed 2 times a day because I worked.
Now I work 3 12’s, bf works 8 and neighbor gets Ozzy out 3 times a day. Much better situation but he is still in his crate. He does very well and is safe there when not supervised.
Just because u work does not mean U can’t ever get a pup just need to have a plan for the pup when ur not home.
I would never leave a pup in a crate 8 hrs a day without getting out.
you said a person came over 3 times a day, 8 divided by 3 is.... 2.6, which is far better then 8 hrs in a crate, I do not care who you are you do not crate a puppy for 8 hrs and not expect issues to arise. I have Luna in the car with me right now. She gets out roughly ever hr to hr and a half. A matter a fact we just went into a bank and she got loving and socialization all in one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My husband works weekdays and I work weekend nights, so someone is almost always home. But when my dogs were puppies, I would have someone come and let them out of the crate if I had to be gone for more than 4 hours or so. I phase out the crate when my dogs are around 1-1.5 years. After that they are either loose in the house or outside in the yard (I don't leave them outside when we're gone, though).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts