German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to post this, so please move if needed.

Saw this on Youtube and wondered what everyone thought.
I know my untrained dog would protect me as it's already been proven.

What do you think of her experiment?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I think the kid produced a nice video.

I've never felt the Hooligans would protect me other than people respecting the fact that they're GSDs and most people seem to respect the breed and steer clear of confronting them. I was mugged and robbed once years ago ... I don't think it would have happened if I'd had one of my dogs with me ... not that s/he would have "protected" me, but that the mugger would seek another, easier to attack, victim.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
This video is a bit strange to me.

1. It seems like an advertisement for a dog training business and not a real, controlled experiment.
2. The "trained" dogs seem to just be going after the sleeve, as they are trained to do- but not necessarily doing any real life protection (and go after the sleeve before any real threat)
3. The untrained dogs seem to be afraid of the guy before he even does anything threatening, especially the first dog.

I don't think this video gives any insight into trained vs untrained dogs for protection...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
some untrained dogs may not attack but some may attack. the
experiment is far from conclusive.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I seen this video a long time ago and I question a couple things on this video:

1. These are not her dogs, so dogs that are bonded to their owner might act a little differently.

2. For the trained dogs they came out with a sleeve. What would the dogs have done if the guy didn't have the sleeve on?

3. For the untrained dogs I would have liked to see their reaction to the sleeve versus a person coming out nice and calmly.

4. Who is the guy that is attacking? I wouldn't go near any GSD unless I knew for a fact what they were going to do, therefore it leads me to believe this guy is a helper in Schutzhund or something along those lines.

I think in order for this video to work they would have to do the exact same scenarios with both sets of dogs. Because they didn't, its just a video to me. But its not an experiment that I would count on.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4. Who is the guy that is attacking? I wouldn't go near any GSD unless I knew for a fact what they were going to do, therefore it leads me to believe this guy is a helper in Schutzhund or something along those lines.
It leads me to believe that they already knew what was (or wasn't) going to happen. They obviously knew these dogs weren't going to attack. The man wore no protection what so ever. No one in their right mind would pretend to attack someone with a GSD there unless they knew they weren't going to do anything.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
This video has been discusssed numerous times on this forum

If you want to see the responses just do a search with "will an untrained dog"

It is a stupid "experiment" probably put up by her dad to "advertise" his dog training business. Wonder how his sleeve trained dogs would do if they peceived a real threat?

·
Registered
58 Posts
In the video the way the guy approaches is completely different with the trained dogs vs the untrained dogs. Even so, it doesn't seem like the untrained dogs would have attacked anyways. For the most part I would agree with the girl's statement. When my dad was teaching me self defense moves, putting me in all kinds of positions, my 10 month GSD seemed really freaked out and was barking at him, and even jumped up on him. We stopped when we realized it was making her uncomfortable, but I still doubt that if a stranger tried to Rob me or hurt me, she wouldn't do much to protect me lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmm, at the begining there is a statement along the lines that "I believe that a non trained dog is not capable of protecting a person" The rest of the video clearly just seeks to confirm that statement..
I'd say thet they are all capable, I have a GSD and a Dobermann, I don't assume that either of them would lift a paw to protect me, they're too friendly because we spent a lot of time socializing them and making them that way. I rely on them being a deterrrant, as someone else has answered, the bad guy will just go for an easier target.
If I go out the dogs have the run of the house and garden, we have a garden gate and another one at the end of the driveway. I always close the second gate because from a distance when they are barking they look intimidating, but if anyone went up to the garden gate they would be greeted with wagging tails and soon realize that they were free to break in..Again, I rely on them being a deterrant..Of course I don't know for sure what they'd do, and I hope I never have to find out!

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
Even I thought that was ridiculous.
Not to mention that the "untrained dog" looked anything but confident to begin with.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As I've said before, nevermind the dog, beware of the owner.

Lisl will not likely to ever have the chance to defend me.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
this topic hasn't been done to death on the internet. to the question in the thread title i say not effectively and if the dog is not trained it hopefully won't get in a postition to protect itself or yrself.

·
Registered
27,304 Posts
How about a thread of stupid youtubes....this would be my contribution:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Our untrained golden retriever attacked when he thought I was being hurt. So, yes I think in certain situations they will.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hmm, at the begining there is a statement along the lines that "I believe that a non trained dog is not capable of protecting a person" The rest of the video clearly just seeks to confirm that statement..
I'd say thet they are all capable, I have a GSD and a Dobermann, I don't assume that either of them would lift a paw to protect me, they're too friendly because we spent a lot of time socializing them and making them that way. I rely on them being a deterrrant, as someone else has answered, the bad guy will just go for an easier target.
If I go out the dogs have the run of the house and garden, we have a garden gate and another one at the end of the driveway. I always close the second gate because from a distance when they are barking they look intimidating, but if anyone went up to the garden gate they would be greeted with wagging tails and soon realize that they were free to break in..Again, I rely on them being a deterrant..Of course I don't know for sure what they'd do, and I hope I never have to find out!

Being friendly has nothing to do with if a dog is going to protect, friendly dogs can still have that serious "on" switch. Does not matter how much you socialize the dog its inside them. Have a decoy go at them or you and you will see that fire turned on. It almost does not exist in dobermans now but you can still find it in many shepherds.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Wanted to comment on this again a lot of shepherds today are just bred to be friendly and dont have any real decent defensive drive or good aggression. They will get tested by decoy and they wag their tails and want to play or they just shut down and get confused.

But then there are dogs who have a very serious side plus a lot of courage but are just happy dogs and friendly. You never see that side of them until something is done. These dogs usually have a very strong on switch. They are all happy go lucky but when things start to look ugly they turn into cujo. Usually well bred dogs from good breeders. They have the courage and the real aggression to act for real.

Dogs like these or aloof dogs that are safe in public are best as ppd because you can take them ANYwhere and not be stressed. I would hate to have a sharp dog as a PPD because i would always be on guard or stressed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts