German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
If you add the dogs you are thinking of, you need even more emotional support dogs ;).
How do envision yourself having the time to properly train them individually, all three that is. Your older dog and probably you as well, could very well loose the current calmness and sanity, when you introduce two pups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My husband and I were admittedly uneducated on the subject of Littermates Syndrome when we adopted 2 GSDs almost 2 years ago. We had lost our 10 y/o GSD a year earlier and puppy fever was running high.

Yes, it was worrying that the dogs would bond to each other more than to us or even worse to become rivals, so I did a ton of research and got a trainer to navigate the education of 2 pups at the same time.

I will tell you it was A LOT. Won't sugarcoat this for you, the only reason it worked was because of my flexible work schedule and my husband working from home.
Training started early in the morning and didn't end until late at night. We were always taking turns. Potty training was a double trouble and we came up with a system of cleaning stations all over the house to manage it.

The dogs only got maybe... 2 hours a day of supervised interaction plus maybe a walk together when they completed their vaccination.

We interacted with them separately, one crated in a different room even when we were all home.
Same for excursions. We took them places by themselves leaving one at home, letting them discover the world without a sibling crutch.
They're now almost 2 years old, I trained one for service (retrieval, stability, inhaler retrieval) the other one we are dabbing into sport and agility because his drive is a 9 when the other one's a 6.

In hindsight, knowing what I know now I wouldn't have taken 2 dogs home at the same time. I do now, love having my little pack. They're very different personalities and that helps, and obviously love them to death. They get along great, but we keep an eye on them for any dominant behavior and stop it. Still a long way to go maturity wise, but I'm confident in the hundreds of hours of training I've invested in them.

Wishing you make the right call for your family and your dogs. ;)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts