German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I currently have a 4 year old German shepherd (very nice and calm) and am planning on bringing home 2 more male pups. Will the dogs get along well? Or is it better two get 2 males and a female. I can do this if needed. All dogs will be neutered/sprayed.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If the dog you already have is well behaved, then I suggest if you really want to, bring 1 pup instead of 2 all at once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the dog you already have is well behaved, then I suggest if you really want to, bring 1 pup instead of 2 all at once.
what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting two pups at same times. And also is it OK if I get them both at the same time or in the span of two weeks between each of them.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I've had 3 males, different breeds, and different ages who got along well. But it's certainly not the norm!

And two sibling males will be very likely to pick on your older dog once they reach maturity! It may work if you are around to manage them well, but seems more likely to end in disaster at some point!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had 3 males, different breeds, and different ages who got along well. But it's certainly not the norm!

And two sibling males will be very likely to pick on your older dog once they reach maturity! It may work if you are around to manage them well, but seems more likely to end in disaster at some point!
Thank you Tim I will take this into consideration

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Well a puppy can't protect you. Two puppies can't protect you, 10 puppies can't protect you.
Adding two puppies at once to a household stating emotional support as a reason for getting them is frankly counter productive. One puppy is a ton of work, two is 3 times the work and two pups on top of another dog sounds like chaos for a household needing them for emotional support.
I am curious why the dog you have now who is "nice and calm" isn't enough? These are very uncertain times, in all ways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a puppy can't protect you. Two puppies can't protect you, 10 puppies can't protect you.
Adding two puppies at once to a household stating emotional support as a reason for getting them is frankly counter productive. One puppy is a ton of work, two is 3 times the work and two pups on top of another dog sounds like chaos for a household needing them for emotional support.
I am curious why the dog you have now who is "nice and calm" isn't enough? These are very uncertain times, in all ways.
Well maybe I wasn’t clear. We are getting the puppies because we do want SOME protection but that’s not the core reason we are getting them. Our family decided we would like to have more dogs because we just do. I don’t see anything wrong with this. But thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Getting two puppies of the same age at the same time "should" be three times the work. But too many people let the self entertain, even when they have only one!

Therein lies the problem! LOL!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think we are all just suggesting that IF YOU DO want to add another dog(s), don't do it 2 at a time. On top of it, adopting the same sex is not recommended. Of course it's your choice in the end, but us in the forum are just answering your questions and providing opinions.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
But I should also mention, I have a nephew who has two intact male sibling Rottweilers, a cat, and three little girls 9, 5 and 3, and several chickens.

Their dogs tolerate each other sometimes, but fight a fair bit too. They adore the kids, and let them do anything with them they please.

The cat, they sort of harassed, until she made it clear she would not tolerate their stuff, so now they leave her be for the most part.

First time I met them, they were just about 2 yrs old. Both weigh over 100 lbs. But honestly, except for a bit of sibling rivalry, they aregreat dogs and are fine together!

My nephew suffers no crap when he's around, and they mostly behave pretty well with each other.

They both seemed to like me, so one would come up from behind me and stick his head through my legs so that I could not miss that it was mandatory to pet him.

Then the other would approach from the front doing the same and sparking a bit of jealousy and growling, which given their position I just could not tolerate LOL!

It was a fun evening to say the least!

Anyway, point is siblings can work (and just for the record, 2 puppies a week or 2 apart in age ARE siblings!). But just know what you're signing up for!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Of course your life, your choice. But you should have all the facts first and fact number one is that no reputable breeder is going to sell you two pups. Most breeders who know their lines will recommend a sex that will best work in a situation.
Males are more likely to get along with each other then females.
Also worth noting is that just because a dog is cool with other dogs there is no guarantee that they will be cool with another dog living in their home .
Good luck and do share pictures of your dog and potential new additions.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
But I should also mention, I have a nephew who has two male sibling Rottweilers, a cat, and three little girls 9, 5 and 3, and several chickens.

Their dogs tolerate each other sometimes, but fight a fair bit too. They adore the kids, and let them do anything with them they please.

The cat, they sort of harassed, until she made it clear she would not tolerate their stuff, so now they leave her be for the most part.

First time I met them, they were just about 2 yrs old. Both weigh over 100 lbs. But honestly, except for a bit of sibling rivalry, they aregreat dogs and are fine together!

My nephew suffers no crap when he's around, and they mostly behave pretty well with each other.

They both seemed to like me, so one would come up from behind me and stick his head through my legs so that I could not miss that it was mandatory to pet him.

Then the other would approach from the front doing the same and sparking a bit of jealousy and growling, which given their position I just could not tolerate LOL!

It was a fun evening to say the least!

Anyway, point is siblings can work (and just for the record, 2 puppies a week or 2 apart in age ARE siblings!). But just know what you're signing up for!
Tim, are these two Rottweilers intact?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Well maybe I wasn’t clear. We are getting the puppies because we do want SOME protection but that’s not the core reason we are getting them. Our family decided we would like to have more dogs because we just do. I don’t see anything wrong with this. But thank you for your concern.
If you are looking for some protection, I would not advise neutering.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I currently have three male dogs (cause I'm dumb) but had three male dogs in the past when Luc was still alive so didn't think much about it when we adopted Agis. They've done well. I do worry with Agis because he's part Rottie and they're supposed to be same sex aggressive but he's really been fine - though, he's 7mos now, so we've got a ways to go before I can say that there'll be no issues as he's just a teenager at the moment, not a young adult.

Stacking the odds in my favour is that the shelter neutered him young (I wouldn't have neutered him until he matured - that's what I did with Neb), and the other two dogs are 4.5 (Xerxes the beagle) and Nebbers (who is 12). I think having staggered ages helps.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
3 male dogs might get along fine. 3 male GSDs- less likely. 3 male GSDs close in age is asking for trouble. If you get hurt breaking up a dog fight, the dogs end up being liability, not protection. If you want to make life easy, get a female GSD, and keep a male and a female GSD- only 2.

With 3 dogs and more you need to understand pack dynamics, dog body language, how to stop unwanted behavior that might progress to a fight, and make sure each dog is trained to a very reliable level of basic OB. And even then, two GSD of the same gender might decide at about age 2-3 that they just can't stand each other. In that case, you've got your work cut out for you.

It can be done- but are you willing to do it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts