German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this already? What are your reviews? It's $36.99 for a 11 lbs bag. Considering I will feed 3 times a day my soon to come 8 weeks old White Shepherd puppy, how much is the food gonna last? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Too much calcium for a German Shepherd puppy (or any large breed). I personally wouldn't feed it.

There's a big difference between large breed puppy and regular puppy dog food.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I dont feed it and theres no way i could afford it.... $3.37 a pound is what that equals out to. And how long it would last would depend on how much you feed at each feeding. But also keep in mind you would generally pay less per pound the more pounds you buy in one bag. I've heard good things about the food and i've heard bad things but never having tried it for my dogs myself, i cant offer anything other than a WOW thats a bit pricey...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dont feed it and theres no way i could afford it.... $3.37 a pound is what that equals out to. And how long it would last would depend on how much you feed at each feeding. But also keep in mind you would generally pay less per pound the more pounds you buy in one bag. I've heard good things about the food and i've heard bad things but never having tried it for my dogs myself, i cant offer anything other than a WOW thats a bit pricey...
My mistake. The price is $29.49 11lb bag. This is a Blue's kibble dedicated for puppies, I am not asking about feeding Wilderness Duck/Chicken/Salmon to the puppy. Here is the ingredient list:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Peas, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Egg, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Potatoes, Fish Oil (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary,*Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

They also have a Wilderness Large Breed Adults dry food announced in their website. What could be the difference between this one and the regular Wilderness Duck/Salmon/Chicken? Could you recommend me some good canned food? So I can mix it with the kibble so the puppy does not gets bored. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Too much calcium for a German Shepherd puppy (or any large breed). I personally wouldn't feed it.

There's a big difference between large breed puppy and regular puppy dog food.
Too much calcium? Is that true for this Kibble (Wilderness Puppy) or are you are talking about regular Wilderness Chicken/Duck/Salmon? What you feed your dogs?

And what's a good age to start feeding him regular Wilderness? Blue has a Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe for Adults (orange coloured bag) announced as new in their website. What could be the dif. between this one and the 3 already mentioned?. So much questions, sorry! I have so much doubts about quality brands for my soon to come puppy! Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe ingredients:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Peas, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Dried Egg, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potatoes, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats still about $2.70 a pound so still outta my price range but as far as ingredients go, i'm no expert but for me the fact the first 3 ingredients involve some form of meat product, i'm okay with that. large breed foods are formulated to provide more for dogs who fall into the large breed catagory (generally 50+lbs) large breed formula's are made to allow for slower growth which for larger breed dogs is healthier and easier on their bones/joints.

I know several people dont even bother feeding a puppy food but start right on the large breed adult food. which works the same way as the large breed puppy formula's.

As far as wet food, i can recommend taste of the wild wet foods, though again pricey. If i remember right Chicken Soup (like the books) makes a dry food and wet food. Both are supposed to be pretty darn good. They came highly recommended to me when i was switching to a better food for my dogs. beyond that i'm not up on info for foods. Not anywhere near as others are. Like i said i'm no expert. Thats just my take and what i've learned from the many awesome people on this board who've helped me find better foods for my dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was also thinking in buying him Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe, but it's rated 4-stars, and I want to feed him the best I can. The 30 lb bag is $49.99 in amazon.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
honestly, most anything is better than what you can easily find in a grocery store. 4 stars is actually really good. if you're going off that, pretty much anything 4 -6 stars should be good.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Too much calcium? Is that true for this Kibble (Wilderness Puppy) or are you are talking about regular Wilderness Chicken/Duck/Salmon? What you feed your dogs?

And what's a good age to start feeding him regular Wilderness? Blue has a Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe for Adults (orange coloured bag) announced as new in their website. What could be the dif. between this one and the 3 already mentioned?. So much questions, sorry! I have so much doubts about quality brands for my soon to come puppy! Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe ingredients:
The regular puppy - just like the regular wilderness formulas - has too much calcium. I believe there something like 2% max calcium which is too much for a LBP.

I was looking at the new orange bag large breed wilderness formula that you mentioned that I've never heard of before you mentioned. It does look like it has less calcium than their other formulas, but it only lists the minimum amount. I'd shoot them an email and ask for the MAX amount of calcium in that specific formula. If it's something like 1.5%, which is still high, but I'd consider more acceptable than the other formulas.

Usually grain frees are higher in calcium than the grain inclusive formulas on the market. There aren't many grain frees that work well with large breed puppies. I know Orijen and Acana are the only two that I can think of.

Is there a reason why you're specifically looking at the grain free formulas? Is there an allergy issue or do you just want to feed a higher protein food?

I was also thinking in buying him Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe, but it's rated 4-stars, and I want to feed him the best I can. The 30 lb bag is $49.99 in amazon.
This food should be fine for him as long as it agrees with him and he likes it. I'd much rather feed this than a high calcium diet until at least 18 months old.

Just search around old threads. This specific issue has been discussed over and over. It's probably one of the most frequest questions that comes up here.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The regular puppy - just like the regular wilderness formulas - has too much calcium. I believe there something like 2% max calcium which is too much for a LBP.

I was looking at the new orange bag large breed wilderness formula that you mentioned that I've never heard of before you mentioned. It does look like it has less calcium than their other formulas, but it only lists the minimum amount. I'd shoot them an email and ask for the MAX amount of calcium in that specific formula. If it's something like 1.5%, which is still high, but I'd consider more acceptable than the other formulas.

Usually grain frees are higher in calcium than the grain inclusive formulas on the market. There aren't many grain frees that work well with large breed puppies. I know Orijen and Acana are the only two that I can think of.

Is there a reason why you're specifically looking at the grain free formulas? Is there an allergy issue or do you just want to feed a higher protein food?

This food should be fine for him as long as it agrees with him and he likes it. I'd much rather feed this than a high calcium diet until at least 18 months old.

Just search around old threads. This specific issue has been discussed over and over. It's probably one of the most frequest questions that comes up here.
Orijen is 1.7 max calcium.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts