German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's struggling with the puppy phase. She's extremely frustrated with potty accidents, lack of sleepless nights despite our greatest efforts to continue training etc.
Granted the pup is only 9 weeks old, my wife doesn't understand. I don't know what to say or do. I have a feeling she's going to make me get rid of her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
can you step up more? As in, you do the nighttime potty thing?

I am assuming you work:) when home, you take on the puppy, wear her out before bedtime, have your wife crate her during the (assuming she's home with her), to give her some 'me' time.

Puppies are not easy, I would tell her this shall pass, and will become in a distant memory in a few weeks.

Its tough when adults in the house are not on board, hope she'll hang in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our puppy is just about the same age as yours and as the wife in the house, I can sympathize. Personally I find myself frustrated with accidents too. I was just talking with my Hubbs yesterday about how I'm tired of being the only one to clean the messes up. I will tell you what I told him and maybe that'll offer some insight from the wife's perspective. It was pretty much...

I don't want to always be the one stuck cleaning up the accidents and being the "bad cop" when I catch him in the act. I love the dog and would never want to get rid of him but sometimes when I'm scrubbing a pee stain off the carpet I can't help but be a little grumpy. Help clean up the messes and help with taking the dog out when you can. The more you take him out the less messes there will be to clean up.

Also, we do put our puppy in a kennel at night. It took him 7 nights to stop whining. It was SO worth it, now we don't have to worry about him at all at night. As soon as I wake up the first thing I do is let him out of the kennel and take him outside. We don't use it as punishment, just confinement while we sleep. He hated it at first but now he just sleeps too! That'll help her a lot, when you can get restful sleep it's much easier to be patient during the daytime.

Good luck with your pup! And also, talk to your wife. Ask her what you can do to help. She'll feel much better if she feels like you're on her side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wife has to man up. Every potty accident, if she see it, needs to be corrected. Slap on the butt as the dog is put outside. Then clean the floor.

let the dog back in. Eventually the dog will understand get gets a smack and sent outside when it pees, so it will start to make a noise when it wants out.

Imagine the sleepless nights when you have kids... Kids don't train as quick.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Wife has to man up. Every potty accident, if she see it, needs to be corrected. Slap on the butt as the dog is put outside. Then clean the floor.

let the dog back in. Eventually the dog will understand get gets a smack and sent outside when it pees, so it will start to make a noise when it wants out.

Please stop advising people to smack their dogs. This is a very bad idea, especially with the dog will grow up to be a lot more powerful than you.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

:headbang: :thumbsdown:

Please, ignore this post- don't smack your puppy.

Regardless, potty training is not an overnight process. I'm a little confused why your wife would agree to a puppy if she expected perfection in a week :confused:

In any case, hostility towards the puppy is only going to cause insecurity, which will delay and prolong the potty training process, not speed it up. Patience is key! Catching them in the act and rushing them outside to show them where to go isn't being the "bad cop", it's teaching them. They're babies, they know absolutely nothing about what is "right" or "wrong".

Crate train, be consistent, and be patient. Crating is seriously the best way to go, for potty training and for giving your wife some alone time when you're not there. If your wife wants to get rid of the pup after a week, this probably was not a well thought out decision on her part. Is she going to be up for dealing with land sharking, teething, etc? This is probably a serious discussion you should have, because with GSD pups... the potty training is the easy part. But with crate training, puppy classes, etc, it'll be a really rewarding experience that a few months from now she'll be looking back on with a smile.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Absolutely do not do this!! These actions will only lead to further potty training issues, such as hiding behind something to pee and poop.

OP, think about setting up a xpen with a tarp underneath. The tarp will have to be taken out and hosed off and cleaned BUT it will protect the floors from accidents during this time. I would say have 2 so you have a dry one to immediately put back on the floor. You would need be even more vigilant with taking the pup out for potty. When out of the xpen, have the pup tethered to one of you so you can keep an eye on him. Using the xpen will also give your wife some breathing room. For night time, crate the pup, all of you will get full night sleep :), after the crate training lol.

This period really does lasts only a short time, hang in there.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Puppies are no different to having a very new baby in the house :)

I wish I could give you some better advise but having to clean up pee is just part of having a puppy - you can minimise "accidents' by crating and having a very strict potty routine which means pup gets taken out for a loo break every couple of hours (depending on age the time can be longer) as well as after every playtime and every meal.
Baby puppies are not easy :( but they are sooo worth it once they grow up!!
Hang in there :)

DON'T smack the pup it's not gonna help!!!!!!!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
My wife's struggling with the puppy phase. She's extremely frustrated with potty accidents, lack of sleepless nights despite our greatest efforts to continue training etc.
Granted the pup is only 9 weeks old, my wife doesn't understand. I don't know what to say or do. I have a feeling she's going to make me get rid of her.

Tell her the puppy is like a newborn baby. Newborn babies don't come potty trained and the pup will be faster out of that stage than a human baby.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Your situation does mean you can't do it without her help so you are beteween a rock and a hard place. I think the best you can do is convince her this really is a short term thing.

If a dog pen is suitable (garage, basement, outside within a fenced yard) it may buy a little time as long as you are bringing her in those days and nights you are home (the danger being it becomes too convenient to leave her there).........but trying to convince her it really is not all that long would be the best. Outside is kind of dicey though with a puppy. Easy to steal, neighbors, etc

·
Registered
263 Posts
So ... its pretty simple here ... you love your dog your love your wife... your dog has accidents in the house... your wife doesn't like it.

So stop letting your dog have accidents in the house! (Sounds easy right? Well it is...)

Here are some things that I did (I did EVERYTHING with my dog...my wife has the luxury of playing with the dog and letting him out at night so I can brush my teeth)

1. Don't leave water down for him to drink "Anytime he wants"
2. Leashed in the house 100% of the time, and Tethered to the primary trainer.
3. If not leashed/tethered then the puppy is crated.
4. Provide water often to the puppy which is then followed by a "Pee break" outside.
5. NEVER scold the puppy if he makes an accident. Surprise the dog with a sharp "NO" or "DOG NAME" and pick the puppy up and run him outside. Soon as he/she potty's outside have a party (Cookies play love, toys etc)
6. Night time CRATE YOUR DOG.. I tried sleeping on the floor with the puppy tethered to me, I got lots of cuddles then the dog would wander away 3-4 feet from me and pee then come back and cuddle... in the crate which is sized just big enough for him..he whined because he didn't want ot mess in his crate.
7. NEVER let your dog see you clean up the mess... always take the dog out side, bring the dog in crate the dog in another room, and then clean up the mess and use Natures Miracle (I prefer the tropical one)

8. At night set your alarm for every 3-4 hours to take the dog outside to potty. (Just like a newborn night feedings)

9. NEVER leave your dog alone.
10. If the dog makes a mess in your house... its your own fault so roll up that newspaper and whap youself in the nose.
11. Sticking his/her nose in it DOESN"T work... your dog may fear you but it won't help with potty accidents... he may end up eating or drinking his own potty to try and hide it.

I think if you take the lead set the example, come up with a schedule, etc do as much work with the dog as you can while your home. You wife can follow your schedule and it will help EMENSELY.

As soon as my Wife and I were following the same pattern we noticed a HUGE HUGE difference. Its almost like my dog preferred consistency (I don't know if all dogs do or not).

Honestly I can't say it enough... letting a little puppy wander around without anyone watching it 24/7 is setting your dog up to fail...the house is a "HUGE" place and the dog doesn't associate it as its "Den" from my understanding... as it grows and learns that there is an "OUTSIDE" place to potty the dogs will learn your routine.

But if you want your dog and a happy wife ... its not the WIFE who has to step up but the HUSBAND. (Or I should say its not the Signifigant other ... but the Dog owner... though mostly I see men complain)

- Spoken as a husband who has a 8month old GSD and I did it all ... and I'm so thankful he sleeps through the nights... now if I could just get him to understand the Weekend is a time I DON'T want to walk up at 5am....

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
TrentL - I think that is wonderful advice that should be taped on the fridge.

For this OP, the issue of being gone in 24 hour increments is a real challenge. I was the one who raised my puppy 100% as well. Because he was, well, my puppy. Hopefully the wife will buy in on it :).

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
Puppies are a lot of work. It's unfortunate that your wife either didn't realize that or wasn't prepared for it. You've only had your puppy for a little over a week, and realistically, it could take several more weeks or more for her to be housebroken, and that's if everyone is consistent about watching her every second she's out of her crate in the house, and taking her out very frequently and rewarding her for doing her business outside. It's a tough situation when you're gone so long at a time and your wife is not enthused about the whole idea.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Wow I guess some people train there dogs like this and the dog is still okay but hitting a 9 week old puppy for just doing what is in its nature is not something I would be doing.:mad: If you see the puppy start to potty you can give a firm NO and pick it up, by tucking its tail between its legs it will usually stop it from urinating and you can quickly take the dog outside and let it finish there with lots of priase and treats. I think positive reinforcement works better on most, if not all, training issues especially a puppy. If you start smacking the dog it will make her scared of you, she could become fear agressive, and then you would have an even bigger problem. She could start submissive peeing which since you are trying to stop the peeing inside would reverse any progress you have already made. Why advise to smack a puppy because its not trained :confused: its not the puppys fault.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If puppy is having accidents than two things are happening.
1. He has too much freedom. Puppy should not have free roam. He should be on a leash, in a crate or in an x pen anytime you or your wife aren't actively interacting with him.

2. He's not being taken out to potty enough. During the day start with every 20 minutes if you have to. Make sure you have treats or food. Take puppy out and say potty! Don't play with him, keep it all business. If he goes say yes! Good potty! And give him his treats right after.

If he doesn't go. Put him up and try again in 20 minutes. My puppy didn't have any accidents and was pretty much potty trained in 2 days.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can sympathize with your wife. I was the one home all day with the puppy and several of those early days ended with me in tears handing the dog to mk y husband as soon as he walked in the door. I didn't want to get rid of the puppy but I was exhausted and frustrated - loved the little monster but it's tough those first few weeks before you understand each other and their communication style is biting...

I recommend you crate train if you haven't already. It will cut down significantly on accidents and give her some time during the day for herself and to get her usual stuff done. I felt like I couldn't get anything done because pup would get into stuff, but once we started crating, I felt soo much better. You've gotten plenty of potty training advice so I won't go into that, but just wanted to sympathize and say that it does get much better once you build some communication.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL reading OP post makes me feel like he is talking about me. I'm the wife and I was in exact same mode with her. I stay at home while husband go to work 8 to 5 so I was the one doing all the cleaning. I'm the one take him out at night because husband can never hear him and I feel bad waking him up since he has to go to work. I'm the one get all that scratch (one time his teeth got between my nail and skin, talk about paper cut but bigger wound).

My husband would take over EVERYTHING as soon as he came back from work so I could get a break. Without me telling him how I really feel he can tell I'm frustrated. You know what make me hang on to Lincoln?

One day I was in the bedroom after take a shower that I so needed, I heard my husband talks to Lincoln. He said "dude, you need to chill. Momma is gonna get rid of you and I don't want to lose you"

After I hear that, somehow I have all these energy to put up with the boy. At least do it for the husband.

I never want to get rid of Lincoln but I did have time I wish we didn't get him. Just like other posters here, this will pass. For me its all just a memory now. My boy is only 14 weeks but he is completely housebroken, can be left alone during the day, hold it through the night. He even get his own doggie door where he goes in and out by himself when he needs to go potty and hasn't have accident for 2 weeks straight.

Think about it, it has only been 6 weeks. That's it. I'm sure your puppy will be in the same place with mine in very near future. Tell her shes not the only one out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you've already gotten some great advice on here, I just wanted to offer my two cents too (as a first time GSD puppy owner). Originally, I convinced my husband to get our puppy Raven for HIM. He's always loved shepherds. Realistically though, she's become my puppy because I am the one who is home with her all day, and he is military so he is gone for months at a time. Maybe I secretly just wanted her to be my puppy anyway, lol.

My advice for how I deal with the not so pleasant sides of puppy rearing is this:

-Go outside a million times a day (for the potty issues) BUT also go outside just to PLAY...
-For the biting issues (I don't know if you mentioned that but I'm sure they're there or will be lol) distractions have been great for me. I found that my pup loves empty plastic bottles and jugs. I keep a variety of them around, and when she goes into piranha mode, I toss down the bottles and toss or gently kick them around and she plays with them.
-When she is super duper hyper and it's just plain obnoxious, I drop whatever I am doing and work on entertaining her mind. We work on basic commands (because that's all I know how to do so far)... things like sit, down, and watch. This helps relieve my stress because its fulfilling to see her focused on something besides being a tasmanian devil.
-I made a flirt pole, and we play outside with that to help her burn off energy. Once her shots are finished we will be doing lots of walks, working up to eventually jogging together (she needs to grow and I need to get in shape for jogging)

-Lastly, I have a baby gate. If I get just way to stressed and annoyed with her, I'll pen her in the kitchen for 20-30 minutes with a nylabone or a kong so that we can both take time to calm down a little.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

Would you smack a baby that peed his diaper? This is ludicrous!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts