German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fostering a now 9 month old male who is highly human leash reactive/aggressive and dog-reactive (frustrated greeter). He's started on meds and muzzle training, and is crate trained with basic obedience and early behavior modification training.

I can no longer keep him and his prospects are dim unless I can find a skilled and willing person ready to take on this type of challenge.

No children in the home. High school students at your discretion. It's unclear how he will be with cats or other dogs. He does fine with other dogs off leash.

Please share this information with your networks. I will drive him wherever he needs to go if the correct person is located.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
I sent Jan a message to pass on to a rescue in MN. Randy would be an excellent choice if there is a spot open.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surrender appointment made. Will see if I go through with it. Still talking to folks and looking for an experienced home/rescue b/c that would be ideal for him. I don't think he's beyond help and someone who is willing to work with him would get a good dog. That's just not me at this time.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I don't recall if this has been mentioned before but do you know who bred him? Any chance for him to be returned to the breeder?
I'm so sorry you have been put in this position, just try to stay focused on the fact that none of this is on you. You have done more then many would have to try and save this dog, and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't recall if this has been mentioned before but do you know who bred him? Any chance for him to be returned to the breeder?
I'm so sorry you have been put in this position, just try to stay focused on the fact that none of this is on you. You have done more then many would have to try and save this dog, and that's a good thing.
The breeder has not returned any attempts at contact. I didn't know this until recently, but the student found him on Craigslist. I think that explains a lot about why we can't contact her now.

Thank you for your unwavering support and kindness, Sabis mom.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If your appt stems from the help through Jax08, I really hope it works out. I think that he will have as good a chance finding the right home and match through the avenue of a rescue and or from someone well experienced.

Trying to vet an appropriate home by yourself could have it's own challenges and learning curve .

You did and are doing your best.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your appt stems from the help through Jax08, I really hope it works out. I think that he will have as good a chance finding the right home and match through the avenue of a rescue and or from someone well experienced.

Trying to vet an appropriate home by yourself could have it's own challenges and learning curve .

You did and are doing your best.
I haven't heard back from anyone connected to a rescue. He will go to a local shelter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you attempted to contact any on your own?
All the ones I can reach in my state and a few out of state. I'll keep trying. Some of the groups do not seem to have any presence online over the last few years. I've called a few when links/emails didn't work.

·
Super Moderator
2,462 Posts
Please do as much as you can to contact breed specific rescues and referrals people have given you.

A LARGE number of our local shelters are completely closed to canine intake/placement due to the disease outbreaks from the “meat farm” dogs, from Waukesha to Door County and further.

·
Super Moderator
2,462 Posts
Not trying to be unnecessarily harsh, but there are essentially zero beds available for imperfect dogs, in the public system, in this part of the state.

A ton of the dogs from the SE have been moved to the NE, so if you can hang tight and work with him through referrals you’ve been given, until the quarantine is over (May/June) and our shelters go back to normal, you truly could be saving his life.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not trying to be unnecessarily harsh, but there are essentially zero beds available for imperfect dogs, in the public system, in this part of the state.

A ton of the dogs from the SE have been moved to the NE, so if you can hang tight and work with him through referrals you’ve been given, until the quarantine is over (May/June) and our shelters go back to normal, you truly could be saving his life.
This is good to know. I will keep trying rescues here and in neighboring states. I have tried calling several in WI and emailing, and so far no luck. One said they don't take reactive dogs, two others said they had no availability. I would by far rather place him through a rescue so I will keep trying.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
https://magsr.org/content/frequently-asked-questions-surrendering

I don't know if they can take him or if you have tried them already but I had dealings with them before and we got them to pull a shelter pup that was deemed aggressive by a shelter in Georgia. So they will work outside their stated area.
Thanks; I'll give it a try. I hope it is ok to have contacted multiple rescue groups--as that's what I have done over the past week or so. I'm still working through FB groups, too. It appears that some groups no longer keep a website but do have FB pages.

I figure I can apply to most places within a day's drive, although there is always the issue of getting an evaluation done before they decide whether or not to accept him. If I have to do the trip twice, though, and it works, that's great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you are going as far as Maryland, I prefer All Shepherd Rescue
https://www.allshepherdrescue.com/

Char Wills in PA has a good rep and I believe is run by a trainer
https://www.charwillsrescue.com/
Thanks; I haven't come across these yet. I will contact them.

I'm contacting any rescue I can find online or on FB. Some don't have working emails or phone numbers or the FB page last had activity 4 years ago, things like that. All suggestions are welcome. I guess the only limitation is that I need to be able to get there and back in the course of a weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts