German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of reading up on poddy training a puppy since I will be getting my little female GSD at the end of April. My question is why does it say everywhere I read not to let the puppy see you clean up after them when they have an accident indoors? What does it matter if they see you wiping up urine or feces? :confused: thanks

·
Registered
32,132 Posts
Just one of those things I never adhered to. I think that people put human characteristics and thought processes and emotions onto little puppies. They feel that the puppy is defiant when it pees in the house. They think that if the puppy sees you cleaning its messes up, then you are seen as less high in the pecking order -- total nonsense in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm not too sure, but for dogs it's not abnormal to eat their own poo. If they see you clean it they may be more inclined to 'clean it' (by eating it) the self...

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine watched me clean it up and also learned several words that are not meant for this board:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree with Selzer's post about people thinking in the whole "dominant" mind set. I never has scolded my puppy for indoor accidents or shoved their noses into it. I just praised him for going potty in the correct place and constantly while he was doing the action. He saw us cleaning up for him multiple times and while yes I see him eating his poo outside when I forget to feed him pumpkin I don't think it's because he's trying to clean up after himself. I seriously hope he grows out of that phase...its a little icky.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine watched me clean it up and also learned several words that are not meant for this board:D
Same here! I think, it actually helps to potty train them faster, when they see that you get upset by "gifts" on the floors. Im convinced that dogs can tell the difference between a human, other animals, and other dogs. :p

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Same here! I think, it actually helps to potty train them faster, when they see that you get upset by "gifts" on the floors. Im convinced that dogs can tell the difference between a human, other animals, and other dogs. :p
I'm going to go with this one. I also agree with Selzer, BTW. I NEVER said a word or got upset with Grim for 'accidents'. They kept happening. Finally, I got upset, I told him "NO" and some other choice things... and that was that. I bombed myself by never telling him 'no' or being stern with him. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I think Tessa learned those words also...:eek:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't understand that at all. I never tried to prevent any dog I have ever had from watching me clean up and I never had any trouble house training. I certainly don't rub their noses in it or anything like that, but I also don't hide that I am cleaning up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I haven't ever done that either, and Eko is perfect in the house. I won't be doing it this time around with my new pup either, in fact they both watched me clean up a mess Xena made. They were playing and she got a bit too worked up and wet herself, so I wasn't mad. I always say no no and take them outside if I catch them doing it, not yelling or anything just to make them stop so I can take them out to finish and praise them.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The handful of times Lisl ever went in the house I only caught her twice and she was verbally scolded in my 'mad' tone of voice and that really did help.

She wants to please so badly she would do anything to avoid displeasing me.

The last time I caught her right at the back door relieving herself was about a month ago and she has never repeated it. I believe it has finally clicked and the light has come on. Some dogs take longer than others, but Lisl finally understands she is NEVER to go in the house.

I've yet to test this for more than two hours, because I don't trust her yet by herself in the general area of the house.

·
Registered
32,132 Posts
See if the dog is at the back door, then they are trying to go out to potty, but they can't. They had to potty. You might not have been listening to them telling you so. That would have gotten me an, Eh! Outside, let's go Outside to potty. We don't go Pee Pee in the House. We go Outside to Pee Pee.

But nothing stronger.

My dogs pretty much house train themselves. In the litter, they have a doggie door to the outside, and I make their indoor area smaller and smaller until they decide that outside is a good place to do the nasty stuff. I have a group of six week olds right now that are pretty much doing ALL poopie outside. The peeing is still happening inside though. I do not shove them outside or scold them or anything. I might put them outside while I clean up the papers, but just as often in a topless crate where they watch me pick them up. The reason for this is simply that it is incredibly difficult to clean anything when you have 28 paws trying to jump on you and trip you and tracking through it all.

If one of my older girls lets go in the house, my delayed reaction is that she may be sick, or I might have left her too long. But my initial reaction is to use a couple of those words everyone is talking about with OUTSIDE, and Poopie, and IN MY HOUSE interspersed and emphasized among the more colorful language. They definitely get the idea that I am not exactly pleased. Whether it works or it just makes me feel better that I vented, or guilty that I vented, I don't know. My girls are actually pretty good about not pottying in the house. A youngster might piddle in exitement or anxiety and that get no response whatsoever, I just clean it up, knowing that they will grow out of that if I don't make it worse.

As for them asking to go out. It can be really subtle. Arwen would come up to my chair when I was eating or playing solitare on my computer while listening to an audio book and very lightly, almost imperceptibly touch my arm with her nose. That translated to, and I quote: "LADY!!! I GOT TO POOP RIGHT NOW THIS INSTANT!!!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts