German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on Facebook with a friend of mine from high school and she was telling me that she was at an off leash dog park a few weeks ago with her 2 labs when she saw something that she couldn't believe.

A young lady came into the fenced area with a very cute Dalmation puppy. She thought it was probably 5 - 6 months old.
She took the puppy away from the front gate and the picnic tables, left the dog on a leash and was doing some obedience work and treating the dog. Everyone kind of ignored the lady for several minutes (my friend said that there were about a dozen dogs at the park). She said that some of the dogs went over toward the puppy, but for the most part were kind of leaving them alone.
After a few more minutes, the lady and puppy came over to the picnic tables and started to yell at everyone about making their dogs stay away from her and her puppy or dogs were going to get kicked. She went on to say she came to the park to work with her puppy when there were "a few distractions, not total chaos." She kept on yelling about wanting to be left alone to work with her dog and any dogs who got in her way would be punished and she would see that they were banned from the park.

WTH?
Nothing people do surprises me anymore, but the nerve of some people.
How about taking your puppy outside of the OFF LEASH dog park.

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
800 Posts
sounds like someone should have gone to the parking lot and let the air out of her tires. :D Seriously, anyone kicks my dog and my wife will have to post my bail.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
there used to be a kind who took his dog to the dog park back home to work with distractions. he fully expected dogs to be curious about his dog and it helped him proof his dog in stays and other commands. he never once did anything like that!!! his dog was fabulously trained. When training was done, the dog was either allowed to go play or they left. you want to distraction train a pup, i take mine to pet stores. thats helps a great deal. then you can work up to dog parks with uncontrolled dogs. sheesh. the nerve of some people.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You hate to call people stupid but, well....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sounds like someone should have gone to the parking lot and let the air out of her tires. :D Seriously, anyone kicks my dog and my wife will have to post my bail.

i wear my steel toe boots to dog parks for a reason. anyone kicks my dog, someone better be there to hold me back.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Anyone kicks my dog, they will be in big trouble.

That woman obviously had no common sense.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Gotta love empty threats. Someone on this forum once said they would kick a dog in the face if it came up to their dog and was all in its face. My first thought, "I'd love to see you try, and no your german shepherd doesn't intimidate me, BECAUSE I HAVE ONE!"

But yes, people are crazy, my biggest pet peeve at dog parks is people who think their dogs are wonderful even though they are aggressive and won't do anything about it. Then get all surprised when my 6 month old pup gets pissed and puts their dog in its place. Thats when they realize "thank god he's a puppy."

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A woman who's dog attacked Gunnar at our dog park when he was only 6 months old did kick him.
She was trying to kick her dog, but "missed."
When I got done yelling at her, she called the Sheriff's Office.
Luckily for me, there were plenty of other people who saw what happened and, at that time, I was a sergeant for the same Sheriff's Office. Once the deputy saw it was me, we had to stand there for another 45 minutes to wait for a park ranger so there was no conflict of interest.
The ranger talked to the witnesses and then pulled her park permit and gave her a park exclusion.

I just wanted to kick her, but I didn't.

We don't go to that park much any more. Not because of the dogs, because of the PEOPLE.

·
Registered
800 Posts
A woman who's dog attacked Gunnar at our dog park when he was only 6 months old did kick him.
She was trying to kick her dog, but "missed."
When I got done yelling at her, she called the Sheriff's Office.
Luckily for me, there were plenty of other people who saw what happened and, at that time, I was a sergeant for the same Sheriff's Office. Once the deputy saw it was me, we had to stand there for another 45 minutes to wait for a park ranger so there was no conflict of interest.
The ranger talked to the witnesses and then pulled her park permit and gave her a park exclusion.

I just wanted to kick her, but I didn't.

We don't go to that park much any more. Not because of the dogs, because of the PEOPLE.
Sounds like my reason for avoiding WalMart, but that's a whole nuther thread. :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear you!

I think if anyone tried to kick my dog they might not bring back a whole foot either.
He was a lot younger then, but I was proud of how he (didn't) react to what she did.
I don't know if I'd want to kick him now, might not go so good. He's one of those dogs that likes the rough play. If you push him away, he thinks that means "let's play".

Someone here has a signature that says something like:

"The more I'm around people, the more I love my dogs"

Amen to that.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly, you can't cure STUPID. Don't even try.
:eek: :eek:
Oh, you can cure it, but you might get "the chair" for the cure that some people need.

:p

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
wow, if i took my dog to a park to train with distractions, i would expect just that- distractions! When I was training skylar with distractions, i'd take her to the beach where i knew there would be a few dogs, some on leash, some not- and it exposed her to tons of distractions. I wouldn't go to an off leash park and expect no dogs to come visit, haha. :crazy:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey I don't agree with what this person(nearly said thing) did at all, kick or threaten my dog and it would be on, and don't expect any one else at the dog park to back up your side of the story either, cause you threatened theirs as well.
But on the positive side, at least she was trying to train her dog!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts