German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a few threads in the past couple of weeks where people are either asking questions about pedigrees or telling stories/sharing experiences with other people's dogs and then asking questions about the dog's behavior. Why would someone do this? Why does that dog's pedigree matter to them if they have no vested interest in the dog? Just curious. I have a lot of people that I know with dogs but have never discussed anyone's dogs except my own. Just wondering because I don't get it. I personally, would be a little perturbed if someone were discussing my dog with a group of people and I didn't give them permission. How do you feel about this?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think it is most probably breeders or people interested in the bettering of the breed and well versed in pedigrees and genetic lines to avoid. They are more than just the average owner. Also it is a neutral state of mind enquiry, comparable to a scientific study, perhaps?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
There are a lot of members who study pedigrees -perhaps breeder, trainer or just a fancier. It's interesting to them to connect a pedigree to a dog for various reasons -behavior, health, working ability, etc.

A pedigree tells a story:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Personally I would feel positive if my dog had a good enough pedigree to be discussed by strangers. What's the big deal? It's an important aspect of breeding.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
To learn about a specific behavior and get input from others?

I have had friends that have dogs with issues and they have asked me to ask the people from the "dog forums" I belong to for advice.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Why does that dog's pedigree matter to them if they have no vested interest in the dog?
Because sometimes they DO have a vested interest in the dog, if the dog appears in a pedigree for a puppy they are seeking, or they are looking for experiences/opinions on a prospective breeding partner, or they want to gain knowledge about their own dog, if the dog in question appears in its pedigree.

There are some dogs that are "famous", or widely used for breeding, so that they are common to many pedigrees. Knowing what a particular dog is like, you can make inferences about how he will affect a pedigree, and that helps inform you about the breed.

Knowledge is power!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd be looking for traits I like and also traits I want to stay away from.
I'm always interested in who's breeding to what, just a wee bit of a fashion show.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have a girl, and she may be bred in the future. How would I learn about lines and what dogs put out genetically without asking questions???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts