German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is the third time she has done it, and I can't figure out why. She has peed on my bed again. Mattie is 5 years old, absolutely housebroken and not sick or anything.

I came home from work as normal, took her out into the yard and made sure she peed. Then took her for her normal mile or so walk and played in the field. Then went home and fed her. All normal procedure. Then later, I was in the bathroom, and heard her jump on the bed, again normal as she is allowed on the furniture, and scratch around the covers, like she was nesting. I didn't think anything of it.

Well, later I went into the bedroom, and there in the middle of the bed was a huge pee spot!! She had peed on the bed when I thought she was just nesting.

She has done this twice before and I can't figure out why. She does not have any signs of a bladder infection or anything, and it is done so far apart and randomly (like I said, three times in 5 years) that I see no pattern to the three times she did it. She knows that if she needs to go out she can just scratch at the door, so why would she deliberatly pee on the bed?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds to me like she is covering up some scent on the bed.

Sorry if this is too intrusive or TMI, but think about what may have gone on in the bed that has left a scent that she may be smelling and wanting to cover.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Lisa,
I have just a couple of suggestions.
- Take Mattie to the vet and absolutely rule out a bladder or urinary track infection.
- If she is clear then I would look into dominance issues, she most likely sees herself as the "Top Dog" and is peeing on the bed to cover your scent to show her dominance over you, simply put, marking her territory. I would be reasserting myself as the "Top Dog" starting with keeping her off the bed and in her crate at night.
I would also look closer at other behavior that you may take for granted as being routine but in reality is Mattie asserting her dominance. A good example would be feeding time. Does she eat before you or at the same time as you? Do you feed her table food from your plate as your eating? If so, these are big no-no's when dealing with dominance issues. Crate her at meal times and let her see you eating first, do not feed her from the table and have her wait until you are done eating before feeding her, she will get the message and hopefully accept the proper pecking order if you stay consistent with your approach.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a dog that has done this a few times. She is a very dominant dog that is not normally allowed on the bed. One time i had put a sweaty t-shirt (had someone else's scent) on my bed and she jumped up and marked it. She also marked my DD's bed one time. Thankfully she is a small dog so not too much trouble getting smell out.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The very first thing I would do is to collect her first pee of the morning and take it to the vet to have her checked for a UTI. When my cat has a UTI she will pee on something cloth like my clothes (if they're on the floor) or a dog bed. If it's not a UTI then you work on the leadership issues.

Until you figure out what's going on I would keep the bedroom door closed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
do you have a new girlfriend by any chance? my husband had a female dog when I cam into the picture and the day I started sleeping here on a regualr basis was the day I would come home to her urine on my side of the bed on the floor. It was a direct hit at me as she would ONLY do it on my side of the bed and had been housebroken for years. (she was a non-GSD) She later got more and more aggressive with me and when she bit me while pregnant she went to live with another family member to keep her fom being aggressive with the baby too. I just remembered all that when I read the OP and wondered if maybe this was the case here?

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
When I had Cesar he was the youngest and the only boy and the female dogs did not want him near the bed and would go ballistic when he came near the bedroom. Cesar found the opportunity to crap on the bed RIGHT in Paige's spot. I posted it here and someone wrote "congrats, you have the Alpha." heeee hee heee

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did you see her do it? If not she might have been "leaking." Lenny has incontinence and the first time it happened she was in my lap and I thought she peed on me. Now she's on Proin and she has no problems... well with that anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same question as Lenny. Was she asleep when this happened? It my not be intentional at all. Some spayed females have incontinence issues as they get older.

I am suggesting this because, this my vet's current theory for Lucy. About once a month, she will be in a deep sleep and pee in my bed, or her own bed. We reason unless it becomes more frequent, it is not enough to weigh against the possible side effects of medication.

Until then, a good waterproof liner for my bed, and a vinyl shower curtain underneath a blanket on her bed do the trick!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never really considered a dominance problem, she doesn't seem overly dominant, but maybe I don't know the signs.

Feeding time is not always consistent, I sometimes to feed her right after work, I may or may not have eaten before her, but usually I have eaten some kind of snack after work before feeding her, if that counts, or I feed her after I have eaten later in the evening. She's not very food oriented, half the time she doesn't even eat her food.

I may not be the disciplinarian that I should, but she waits to go out of doors, she doesn't bolt out, she moves when I tell her to, though sometimes I step over her because our house is so small I'd be constantly telling her to move and it is safer to have her just lay there instead of scrambling to get out of the way and tripping me up. If I tell her to get off the bed or couch she does. She does try to initiate play sometimes but I never thought of that as a dominance issue. I don't usually roughhouse with her, but my DH does. I will play tug of war with her, but if I tell her to GIVE the toy, she will.

I did not see her pee, but I was in the room next to the bedroom and saw her going into the bedroom and heard her jump up and scratch around the bed, so I know she wasn't sleeping and it was not just leaking.

The bed she peed on is in the spare bedroom, not my and my husbands bed. I sleep in it sometimes when the DH's snoring keeps me awake. The other time she peed on the bed, it was this same spare bed, my DH and I were sleeping in our room and I heard her jump up onto the spare bed and then jump down a minute later, so it seems she jumped up on the bed just to pee. That was probably 2 years ago or so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm bringing this thread out of the mothballs...

Last night, I went upstairs and my 7m/o female followed me upstairs. This is immediately after I had let both of our dogs outside. I started to change into pajamas and she was just kinda running around being silly like usual (on the floor) and I was talking to her... then she jumped up onto the bed, squatted, and peed!!! and jumped off before I even had the chance to react. She knew what she had done was wrong and I took her outside and she did pee more. I don't really think this was a "marking" issue. We have been trying to wean her off of her crate at night so that she sleeps in our bedroom with us and the other dog, and she will lay with us for a few minutes but she sleeps on the floor the majority of the night. She has never peed on the bed before (she has once or twice on the couch downstairs but it was a fear response). Do you think this was her way of trying to get my attention (even though I was looking at her) and just a puppy oops thing, or something more?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts