German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every time I give Ditto a command, she barks. She usually does what I ask her to also. If I tell her to sit, she barks as she is doing it. Its annoying. I always say no, and tell her the command again, and never give her the treat when she barks along with the command. However, this has been going on for about a year. The only thing that works is if i say "ah ah" when I can tell she is about to do it. I guess its not a huge deal, it just gets really annoying, especially if we are outside ( I dont want to bother the neighbors.) Any thoughts on why she does this ( other than she is excited) and how I can stop it?

·
Registered
27,268 Posts
Do you ever use a ball as a reward instead of a treat? Are you using a clicker or marker word before the reward? Sounds like she is very eager to please!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, usually I use a ball because its her favorite thing in the world. I dont use a clicker. I say good girl before the reward some of the time, but not every time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
im having the same problem with an APBT i'm training! it actually just started, but she'll only bark sometimes- right before i want her to sit. As soon as i see that she's going to bark, i turn around and ignore her, then try again- she only gets the reward if she doesn't bark. but she's still doing it- and it only happens when i want her to sit, haha. I think it's because she's really excited/ wants to do what i want her to do so she can't control her excitement haha, but i have no idea what to do other than ignoring the bad and praising the good. i'll be interested in what others have to say :)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
whatever you say to her she is saying "ditto"...lol...i dunno, i have a "talker" who talks to you, talks back, talks to other dogs, talks to the vet...never had one before. sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's cute. doesn't seem there's anything to be done about it tho.

·
Registered
27,268 Posts
What do you do after you reward her with the ball?
Do you play a bit of tug(if its on a string) or do you toss it for her to fetch it? I think a little 3 second tug then out may help, but it also may ramp her up more.
I would change up the reward (food/toy)and use a marker word /change the timing before the reward is given.
Karlo started snapping his mouth when I tell him to sit out of motion, he is a barker, but not during obedience. He is trying to contain himself!
The Micheal Ellis clips are great for engagement, etc...worth spending some time viewing:
http://leerburg.com/stream/videolistcat.php?cat=Michael Ellis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts