German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
:eek: Absolutely not!! No one goes near my dogs with any sort of clippers!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
And it has a nice little bandana :blush:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I think sometimes people mistankingly think their dog will be cooler trimmed that way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can only think of three reasons: the poor shepherd has a really bad skin issue, the shepherd lives in a place that has very high temperatures, or maybe a big mistake happened.
I feel really bad for the poor shepherd no matter the reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sometimes people do things like that just cuz they don't like the hair! I saw a shaved one at the park last year, looked like a sick coyote.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On second thought, when did GSDs become considered as poodles?
This is cruel and unusual punishment for GSDs.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
OMG. The first one looks so sad! Other than a severe skin/coat problem, you couldn't pay me to shave my Shepherd. I had to shave our Collie once, as she rolled in a dead deer and burrs all on the same trip. She looked pitiful! There's a reason they have coats, lol.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Could have been a problem with the fur. Natted up with bugs or something. You never know the full story.
True. If the dog was a victim of horrible neglect, the coat could have been matted beyond repair, and the only humane thing left to do would be to shave it all off and start over. That is the only reason I would shave a GSD!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
A very good friend of mine is a groomer, self employed owner and she won't shave certain breeds for this very reason. The owners come back and blame her when the coat doesn't grow in the same.

Most of the time when people ask me about my GSDs I try to have a nice conversation about what mine are like and others that I know, training, excercise and all that. If the person's first question is "do they shed a lot?" that's the only time I say "if that is your first concern you don't want a GSD or Lab or Collie or Aussie for that matter".

I just got done with my daily vacuuming. :D

A family we knew has a collie mix that they shave every summer. I swear, her fur grows back in weird. It's like too short and fluffy and, just, weird.

Freestep, or other groomers, is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
A family we knew has a collie mix that they shave every summer. I swear, her fur grows back in weird. It's like too short and fluffy and, just, weird.

Freestep, or other groomers, is there any truth to this?
What happens is, the undercoat sometimes grows in faster than the guard hairs, so the dog may go through a phase where the coat looks fuzzy and weird. It happens more often in older dogs.

I do clip down some long-coated breeds like Aussies and Goldens, on owner request... but if their coat starts growing back funky like that, I advise the owner that we shouldn't do it anymore. In most cases, the coat will come back but it may take up to a year to look "normal" again, after the dog goes through an entire shedding/regrowth cycle.

I don't think I'd have the heart to clip down a coated GSD, unless there was nothing else I could do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts