German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my GSD/Bullmastiff mix last week and have noticed she only relieves herself if off the leash and far away. I would walk her for.an hour while on the leash and give her the command to go potty and she doesnt.

Also, she seems to get very unnerved and tries to run home all the time even if at the park off the leash. I dont know what bad experiences she has had with her previous owners but I need some help

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you tried a retractable leash that's 16+ ft? My puppy is only allowed out supervised on leash and unless I let her stretch it out all the way, she will not go potty right next to me. I in a light tone say "be a good girl" and once she goes I excitedly would say "good girl!" I would also be careful and wait for her round of vaccinations (3 at least,) before bringing her to parks, especially if you cannot be certain she has been vaccinated (actual tabs from shots or vet copies, do not take someone's word alone,) and to establish a bond/trust where she listens and can be trusted off leash.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
yes I agree with Jordan to use a long leash either a flexi leash or get along web line and to keep a light tone in your voice - very positive. Try not to focus on her - let her sniff - turn your back - don't say anything - pretend your interested in something else - she is probably a shy pup about pottying so doesn't want to be watched.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
How old is you mix? If young enough, you can start to train her to potty on command. Well at least pee, poop not so much. Let her out on leash and watch for signal she is going to go potty. As she starts to pee, say "hurry up". "Go potty". She will start to associate that command with what she is doing. When she is done, be very excited and treat her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts