German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jager is 5 months old now. He's eating his poo and drinking his puddles!!! It's the most disgusting/frustrating thing. He eats all of his food and it's a quality food (in my standards/the breeder's/the vet's. Not to mention sticks, mulch and rocks.

He's a garbage mouth!!!

Is there *anything* we can do?? I realize the first solution is to not allow him outside without supervision... but that borderlines on unfair to me. Is he young enough that this is something he'll grow out of? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Sounds like Otto, he's also obsessed with potting soil. I worry about him constantly when he's outside, especially since we had rats in the neighborhood summer before last and I found a huge dead rat in my garden. He had something in his mouth yesterday that looked like a little dead rat, ran out in the blizzard screaming and yelling at him. It was poop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will be very interested in the replies you get as Hardy eats his poop too.

We clear up every time he poops, as soon as he poops, otherwise he just turns straight round and eats it. He too is on a good food, eats all his meals etc. He has eaten his poop if given the chance right from when we got him at 3 months old. I too had hoped he would grow out of it but he's 6 months now and just as keen as ever!

And like you we have to go out side with him every time just in case. Sometimes I just can't go out too and that is how I know he still does it :0)

·
Registered
652 Posts
He must be supervised if you want ot break this habit. You also must have tasty treats on you at all times.

When he potties immediately call him and back up running to get him to come to you, and immediately give him a treat with tons of praise. This will distract him from whatever bodily function he just performed, and set a pattern for him to run to you after every time he has gone potty.

I see many people make the mistake of running to pick up the poo, which with a nice pup who loves to play and eat, it just builds drive for the pup to get to it even faster....nasty.

As soon as he comes to you and gets atreat and is distracte dby other things, or away in hsi crate, go back and clean it up so he cannot find it later.

Some grow out of it, some don't. Now is the time to change the behavoir if you have any chance at all.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
When I first got Riley she was very obsessed with Mulch. Not as disguisting, I know... but she grew out of it after a month. I catch her going to grab poop every so often (not her own) which I can stop because she's on the other end of a leash (and the Leave it! command).

Someone else might have more helpful advice! (there was a deer poop thread going on discussing it)

·
Registered
468 Posts
they have things you can buy/put his food that will make his poo taste yucky.. maybe you should try that

i hear that ALOT of the times yummy poo is because the pup is eating too fast and not digesting all the food soo it tastes better.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:I realize the first solution is to not allow him outside without supervision... but that borderlines on unfair to me.
I think it's unfair to the pup to NOT be with him. Firstly, you'll be upset with him since he's going to continue the bad habits but most of all because his favorite companion isn't out there with him! GSDs are velcro dogs; your pup would much rather you be outside with him than not. Given a choice, I think they'd be glued to us 24/7. Keep your pup on a leash, then after pottying, praise profusely as you skip away from the potty site to play a little distracting game with your pup. The poo & pee stew will be quickly forgotten.

Also, may I ask what you are feeding? It might be a quality food in all of your opinions but maybe not to the pup's body and it is Jager's body's opinion that counts most. It's always something to consider.

·
Registered
932 Posts
what I have read and heard is they see the mom or you in that matter cleaning up and they think they have to so they eat it, like one of them said on here, get his attention after he is done like play or something and then put him up for a few min. so he can't see you clean it up once he gets that out of his mind after a while he should quit

good luck

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Dakota does that too, and she is 5 1/2 months old.

I take her out to a specific spot and watch her. If she sniffs it I will tell her to "leave it", praise her and then bring her back it. I then go out and clean it up.

Not all family members do this. My husband will take her out, tie her up to the fence, wait 5 minutes, then return. This is when she eats her poo. It's so gross. I don't even want to pat her once I realize what she has done. YUK.

My other dog used to do the same thing, but she did grow out of it. I can't remember at what age that was, but it was not a problem when she was past the puppy stage. There is still hope.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaryWDMy husband will take her out, tie her up to the fence, wait 5 minutes, then return. This is when she eats her poo. It's so gross. I don't even want to pat her once I realize what she has done. YUK.
double yuk when you don't catch the pup doing it, he comes in the house and proceeds to belch in front of company. Repeatedly. Otto is the crown prince of what my friend from Ohio says '[email protected], dog! You a nasty a$$!' (picture my friend Quint, he's about 220, exArmy still has that lovely mid west drawl, sounds like a slightly more civilized Larry the Cable guy)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh, I'm glad that I'm not alone.. but also sorry for all dog mom and dads that have to deal with this. Thanks so much for all of your responses and advice. We'll see what works!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts