German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do other people feel the need to growl at GSD puppies? Anyone else have this problem??? Twice now, in two different stores, two different men have growled at Riley, trying to get him to growl and bark back at them....it makes me INSANELY furious because 1. Riley is shy and nervous with strangers and I do not want him to have any negative interactions with strangers, and 2. because I will not tolerate him interacting with strangers by growling or barking at them first. The first time it happened, I just changed the subject while Riley was looking at him like he was stupid. The second time it happened yesterday, Riley growled back and I scolded him and told the idiot that I was not teaching Riley bad habits. I am definately at the end of my tolerance rope with this, and when it happens again, I'm gonna be terribly rude and begin by asking point blank why s/he feels the need to growl at a strange dog when s/he surely would not appreciate my dog growling at them first.........

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
That irks me to no end! There are some real idiots out there. I'm constantly getting questions about whether or not Flash will protect me. First of all, he's a BABY! Secondly, if he were displaying aggression towards perfectly safe people I would be DISTURBED, not happy that he's "protecting" me.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
And those kissy noises!
Why do pepole think every dog have to be petted? Similarly, why do you look at me like I have two heads when I completely ignore the fact that you have a dog with you. Yeah, it's a DOG. Seen 'em before and I'll probably see a few more the next day. I don't need to fuss over them.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Just say something witty and off-putting at them. Perhaps, "Your education must be lacking if that's all you have to say" or, "Looks like it's time for somebody to be neutered!"

People can be such dips.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Just look the offender in the eyes and calmly say "Please don't do that." I've taught my dog better.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereJust ask them not to do it. People are people and they don't all think alike.
I beg to differ. It is never ok to bark/growl at a perfectly behaved strange dog in an attempt to evoke an aggressive response or to scare them. Never. Anyone who thinks this is ok is stupid, not ignorant, but stupid.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Ahem, so you think people aren't people and they do all think alike?

Given this situation you can make a smart confrontational reply, an angry response, or you can ask the person not to do it and move off. Your dog will probably react better if you stay calm, ask the person not to do that, and move along if necessary. If you want to escalate the situation, then the dog will probably pick up on that and turn it into a big deal.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:And those kissy noises!
Speaking of kissing noises, you're gonna love this - Abby, DH and I were in the 4th of July parade on Friday. We were walking between two vehicles from our vehicle club, representing the Desert Storm / Gulf War area. Parade spectators were making kissy noises at Abby *while we were walking in the parade*!!! What - do they think we'll stop and let them pet her in the middle of the parade?

Of course, every couple of feet, someone at the side of the road felt compelled to inform us that Abby was hot (it was 90 degrees) and that we needed to give her water (she'd been soaked before setting off on the parade, and each time we stopped, she got water from my canteen).

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereAhem, so you think people aren't people and they do all think alike?

Given this situation you can make a smart confrontational reply, an angry response, or you can ask the person not to do it and move off. Your dog will probably react better if you stay calm, ask the person not to do that, and move along if necessary. If you want to escalate the situation, then the dog will probably pick up on that and turn it into a big deal.

People not thinking alike is reason for disagreement on positive vs. positive/compulsion methods. People not thinking alike is no excuse for stupidity. Barking/growling at a dog is stupid. It is not someone giving your dog treats behind your back as you would make it out to be. It's a wee bit more serious and I will respond accordingly, not be all ho hum "please don't do that and have a nice day!". Doesn't mean I will make a scene, but I'm not going to leave the impression that it's ok for some dogs, just not mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Idiots! *Rolls Eyes* I'd look at them and say "well, if that's all you have to say, we'll be going", roll your eyes, and walk along. Don't let 'em know it irritates you.
Or yeah, tell them "sorry, maybe your parents should have taught you proper manners like I've taught my dog". LOL

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Last week I was at the Vet with my GSD Maddie, she has a sore ear from a spat with her sister, well anyway this kid about 8 or 9 is running around the waiting room barking and growling at all the dogs in the waiting room, and I mean up close and obnoxious, Maddie my dog is fine since she is used to kids, but this older woman was sitting with a little Pomeranian with an ear infection and the kid goes right up and barks in its face, the Pom first jumped back, than jumped forward and snapped, grabbing the brat in the cheek ( I wanted to shout " Give that dog a treat!), so than the stupid, ignorant parents go off telling her she has a vicious dog in a public place, the poor woman is apologizing and completely intimidated by these buffoons at which point I get up and tell them the kid was just asking for it, I told them the dog had more right there than the brat, was better behaved, and had simply been pushed to the limit by there little darling, whom I had already told should never bark and growl at dogs, he of course ignored me. I asked him how would he feel with an earache, waiting to see a Dr. all the while an incorigible bratty dog was barking and growling at him? The waiting room erupted in laughter at which point the Adams family left in a huff! LOL!!!!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
People bark at my dogs all the time. They don't even bother to stop or glance. Kenya will look up at me and roll her eyes. I say, "yeah, I dunno why they are weird like that either..."

I've never heard either of my dogs growl or bark at strangers (besides the five allowed barks when the doorbell rings), but it never ceases to amaze me how many people growl or bark at them!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Good for you for standing up to them. They poor old lady, her dog wasnt doing ANYTHING to anyone and I cant blame it for snapping. I would have to!

To bad there still probably going around talking about the evil dog that bit their sweet kid.......sweet my.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good for you LARHAGE!!!!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have to say that, fortunately, this has never happened to me. Though I'm sure Sierra and Blue wouldn't mind, I could see Stryker taking offense to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts