German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people have dogs if they can't take responsibilty for them??

So this evening my DH and I were on our way home and I received a call from a girl I work with telling me she had found 2 bigs dogs and needed my help on what to do. So we drive out to where she is at. She can't take them into her apartment because she has a cat and 2 ferrets and we don't know how they would react to them. Plus her apartment is tiny.

Neither dog has id tags and we find that they had been there near her apartment complex for like 3 hours. She found them when she got off of work this evening. They were both husky mixes and so sweet and well behaved. 1 male and 1 female, the female looked very old and had trouble moving around. The male loaded into my durango with a simple "Let's ride'. DH had to pick the female up and load her in the back. They laid right down and relaxed.

So I know I can't take them home, so we swing by our vet, they were closed.

I told dh well we will swing by the Animal Shelter, and by the grace of god someone was still there. So we go in, no microchip. She finds a tattoo in the male's ear, and looks him up in the system.
Well...they are is a repeat offenders and has been there 5 times already.

So the ACO calls the number and puts me on the phone with the woman. She didn't even know they were GONE!!! They had been missing since around 3pm and it was 7:30 when I talked to her. How in God's name can you not know your dogs are gone??!! So I took all her info and told her I would bring them out to her. Oh and when I was reading his info in the computer, there was a note about the last time they were brought in. It said an unknown male had pulled into a gas station in North Pole and dropped them off and left them there.

Come to find out, these dogs had to cross a the main highway in North Pole to get to where my friend found them. It is a miracle they did not get hit considering the female could hardly move around.

We get them home and the lady was very thankful, but I honestly felt she was thankful she wasn't going to have to pay the $400 fee to get them out of jail. She told me it was a good thing we didn't take them home because her female has severe dog agression issues and that even at her age (13) she still tries to attack and kill any dog that is not her companion.

Her husband was a class a JERK!!!! He never once said thank you and actually asked me if I wanted to take them home. My dh said "he wasn't joking!". The guy just oozed creep out of all his pores. My dh said he would put money that the husband is the unknown male that probably dumped them the last time.

The dogs aren't let inside, the have an outdoor pen they keep digging out of it. It's like a prison and they keep trying to break out! I actually felt bad about leaving them there.

Sorry if this too long but I had to vent about stupid people!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I am so sorry, that sounds like a frustrating evening. Some people just should not have dogs! The bad thing is that they will end up in animal control again or worse but at least you saved them last night. Great job to you and your husband for trying to help these babies anyway.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
That was so nice of you to help them, I would have done the same and given the husband a lecture. Jerk is right. Poor dogs!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yeah I would have had a hard time holding back the vehement lecture.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Unfortunately lecturing the husband would not of done any good and the dogs probably would of been dumped again at some point in the very near future. So sad that the dogs have to live in those conditions

·
Registered
31,837 Posts
And possibly the idiot would take it out on his wife who does care somewhat about the dogs.

Irritating, and maybe the best thing to do would be to hand them over to AC. The old one would have probably been put down if they were not sprung by their owners. But a $400 fine might have made them figure out something.

It was nice of you to help them get home.

ETA: I suppose there's a reason I'm single.

I am a little more frustrated with the woman in this situation. It sounds like the guy is a real idiot and probably did drop the dogs the one time, and most likely it is he that will not bother to fix the pen properly and will not let the dogs in the house. But women who NEED men let them be idiots. No way would I let some jerk decide how I treat my dog, where they live, etc. No way would I put up with a jerk who was a complete idiot to someone who did you a good turn.

The dogs would be in the house and he would be scratching his sorry arse out of the kennel.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: CarolynThose dogs are better off at the shelter,
I dunno a 13 year old dog aggressive dog who has trouble walking would not last, even at the privately funded shelters here.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
It is a tough call. I dont think either situation would be a good one for the poor dogs. Some people should just not own pets.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Just saw a 12 yr old husky turned into a shelter because the owners said he nipped at the grandchildren when they tried to ROLL on him!!!

Don't they even stop to think maybe this 12 yr old dog (who obviously hasn;t nipped before or he would have been dumped at the shelter years ago) may not like having his 12 yr old bones rolled on by children? How about teaching the grandkids the proper way to treat a senior dog?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today, the girl I worked with told me that her land lord thinks the dogs may have been dumped there. She lives above a laundromat.

My dh said the husband may not even know that they are tattooed and he just keeps trying to get rid of them bu dumping them.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
One of these days those dogs are going to turn up with bullet holes in their heads. If the DH hates them that much, that will be his last resort. It is sad. It happens all the time up here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts