·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yep, we got the start puppy title woooooooooo moving up that ladder! LOL

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
WHy title a dog

People can title their dog for fun, as a social outlet, to become a better trainer, etc. But the main reason to title a dog ( along with incorporating other training exercises) is the evaluate the dog to see if it is breed worthy and can hopefully contribute to the breed, which has unfortunately greatly declined from its origins.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
To reach a goal with training. To spend time with your dog and other folks who love dogs as you do. As a social outlet for you and your dog. To go new places and do new things with your dog.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Because there's nothing like that amazing ineffable connection of working in perfect harmony with your dog. No commands, no formal cues, just those precious moments of total understanding and joyful cooperation.

I think maybe it's the happiest feeling in the world.

The titles are just a way of creating structure and recognition for the work. And, sure, it's nice to have a wall full of ribbons and certificates. Someday perhaps it will be a memorial that softens the loss. But the work, the sheer fleeting joy of those moments, is what will always matter the most to me.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the work, the sheer fleeting joy of those moments, is what will always matter the most to me.
I think this sums up most what I love about dog training. Working with Singe is never dull. But those moments when you see the "click" when he gets something I'm so proud.
Even the people that we work with can tell from his face when he "gets it" And of course he is so proud of himself. I know that the ribbons and titles don't mean anything to him. But, if I am happy then he is happy. He knows that the ribbons are a good thing because he can tell that I am excited. He might not know what they mean but if Mom is happy then so is he.

A little story not really related to titles. Unless you count that I was worried we might never title again!
We were at a fun match in Jan. We were standing a little too close to the ring gating when we entered the ring. Singe smacked it with his tail and of course it bounced back and smacked him. He jumped away and looked at it. In a moment of brilliance, :rolleyes: I pushed the gating so it bounced more thinking it would help him not be afraid of it. Singe watched it moving, reached out a paw and pulled the gating toward him and then let go. Bounce bounce bounce all the way down the wall the gating jiggled. Then, everyone saw the lightbulb go on over his head. Yup, Singe found a new game.
It's almost 5 months later and I'm still working on getting him to stop playing with the ring gates. :wild:

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have gone through many stages of this training.
"oh don't pull the gating with my right paw"
"oh, not the left one either?"
"what about pushing it with my nose?"
"smack it with my tail?"
"bump my whole butt into it?"
"kick it with a back paw as I walk by"

we've now settled into a game of "I'm not touching the gate" where he slows down and reaches out a paw like he is going to pull it, then grins and bounces back into heel position.
Singe is everything I love about dog training. He is also the reason I drink....

If my friends would stop laughing so hard, this would be over with by now!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It is so hard to describe the euphoria that I feel when we have training break throughs. To embark on a new task. To figure out how to communicate what I am looking for and then see my dog correctly perform that task, some times after many failed attempts. The joy is indescribable. I know he can feel my happiness when he gets it right. A title is a worthy end goal, but the purpose for me is in the journey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts