German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can leave anything... food, papers, bottles, clothing etc sitting on the kitchen counter and Kaiser won't touch it.
I can leave anything... food, papers, bottles, clothing etc sitting on the small side table next to the couch and Kaiser won't touch it.
I can leave the cat food on the floor and Kaiser won't touch it.

But, do I dare leave anything on the dining table?? Papers, kids homework, clothes, food, napkins... anything (and the latest casualty was a hamper I was making for a guy at work who's wife just had a baby girl... so baby clothes, socks, bibs) on the dining table gets pulled off and chewed up!! Why???

Why can he be so good and leave all the other stuff alone - stuff lying everywhere, but if its on the dining table it must be there for his entertainment????

Funny and frustrating at the same time!!

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
That is just too funny! Dogs are like computers, they only "do" what you tell them explicitly to do, everything else is undefined...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hahaha, he's funny. If you eat at the dining room table regularly, maybe he associates it with you and your food and stuff there,it's his was of seeking negative attention? If not, dogs are just quirky. ?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have always used mouse traps to reinforce avoidance. A little mouse snap trap is not going to hurt them, just scare them. I have reinforced Whippets to stay off the couch. I knew they were sneaking up there because of the dog hair. I also heard their feet hit the floor whenever they heard me get out of bed. Snap traps can be put under a sheet of newspaper for soft and timid dogs

Just last night I reinforced Ingas avoidance of taking shoes from the bedroom by placing a snap trap on top of a slipper behind the door. SNAP! Now she is bedroom shoe avoidant. It only took once.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha, he's funny. If you eat at the dining room table regularly, maybe he associates it with you and your food and stuff there,it's his was of seeking negative attention? If not, dogs are just quirky. ?
We do eat every meal at the dining table - but he knows when we are sitting there he must go lie down. I do think the fact that the cat is allowed on the table confuses him - he wants to see what she is doing there :)

I have always used mouse traps to reinforce avoidance. A little mouse snap trap is not going to hurt them, just scare them. I have reinforced Whippets to stay off the couch. I knew they were sneaking up there because of the dog hair. I also heard their feet hit the floor whenever they heard me get out of bed. Snap traps can be put under a sheet of newspaper for soft and timid dogs

Just last night I reinforced Ingas avoidance of taking shoes from the bedroom by placing a snap trap on top of a slipper behind the door. SNAP! Now she is bedroom shoe avoidant. It only took once.
LOL! Thats a good idea. I've never caught him in the act of stealing stuff of the table which is why he keeps getting away with it... he waits till I'm out of the room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts